The Slot t offense/CALDWELL RUNS IT WELL!

GUNHO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in response to someone asking who i thought was better between carthage and gilmer

IMO carthage has been on a roll of late, starters did not play in 2nd half on any district ball games i do not believe, and last week was the most impressive first half ive seen, 62 pts in 24 minutes, dang...and you cant judge carthage on how they played early, their qb was battling injuries and it just had the offense in a funk, but that being said they have yet to be tested and im sure WO-S will be more than happy to pop them in the mouth a few times.

gilmer is a talented club, dont get me wrong, they fly to ball on defense, and as always can throw up the points on offense.  I think a gilmer carthage game could easily be 70 something to 60 something, if that tells you anything.

WO-S currently has played 34 consecutive games dating back to the 2005 Semifinal loss to Wimberley without giving up more than 21 points (Giddings '06 and Jasper '07 both scored 21).  We've played a #1, #3 and #6 ranked team in those 34 games (as well as a 2007 4A State Semifinalist in Dayton) yet our defense still held them all to 3 TD's or less.

Can we continue the streak?  I know no other 3A team has a streak anywhere close to that and I'd be extremely surprised if there were any 4A or 5A teams either.

wos0508.gif

It's funny because when people start talking about how good a team is they start talking about how their offense does and how many points they can score. What teams don't realize is that Wo-s isn't just a outstanding defensive team, their offense can score on one play. So I think most teams realize that they won't score many points on Wo-s, but the real question they should be asking is how will we stop their offense. I think Wo-s offense this year is very underrated. It's not often that they have to punt the ball.

It's funny because when people start talking about how good a team is they start talking about how their offense does and how many points they can score. What teams don't realize is that Wo-s isn't just a outstanding defensive team, their offense can score on one play. So I think most teams realize that they won't score many points on Wo-s, but the real question they should be asking is how will we stop their offense. I think Wo-s offense this year is very underrated. It's not often that they have to punt the ball.

Statistically the '08 offense is BY FAR our most successful ever.  Some argue that our strength of schedule explains that but I really don't think that our schedule can explain away scoring 11+ points more per game than any other WO-S team in the past 32 years.

I agree with you completely.

If you look close at the WO-S offense they have so many skill people that can hurt you.  They can be very hard to defend.  They are usually their own worst enemy.  With the personel they have in place, if they execute and cut down on mistakes someone would be hard pressed to stop them.  I know that is what everyone says but WO-S is literally loaded with skill athletes.  I'm waiting for that game when they put it all together and now is the time.

If you look close at the WO-S offense they have so many skill people that can hurt you.  They can be very hard to defend.  They are usually their own worst enemy.  With the personel they have in place, if they execute and cut down on mistakes someone would be hard pressed to stop them.  I know that is what everyone says but WO-S is literally loaded with skill athletes.  I'm waiting for that game when they put it all together and now is the time.

TO ADD TO THIS, COMMENT. WE HAVE MANY DIFFERENT FORMATIONS THAT OPPOSING TEAMS HAVE TO PREPARE FOR. IT'S NO LONGER JUST THE SPREAD, WE USE THE TE ALOT MORE THIS YEAR, WHICH HAS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR. I KNOW I ALWAYS TALK ABOUT THE TE, BUT THAT'S B/C WHEN USED RIGHT IT'S THE MOST EFFECTIVE SPOT ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL, IN HS FOOTBALL AND COLLEGE FOR SURE. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

Yea, I like when they use Adrian Steen at TE he usually catches anything that's thrown to him and when he starts catching it, it causes the safeties to play closer to the line leaving their corners one on one with our speedy receivers. That's when teams start getting beaten by the long ball against us. I have to say that Hypo have greatly improved with throwing throwing the long ball. Last year he would overthrow just about everybody, but this year he has shown some touch on his passes. I hope I didn't jinks him, but he has improved alot.

Yea, I like when they use Adrian Steen at TE he usually catches anything that's thrown to him and when he starts catching it, it causes the safeties to play closer to the line leaving their corners one on one with our speedy receivers. That's when teams start getting beaten by the long ball against us. I have to say that Hypo have greatly improved with throwing throwing the long ball. Last year he would overthrow just about everybody, but this year he has shown some touch on his passes. I hope I didn't jinks him, but he has improved alot.

YES, THIS IS SOMEWHAT TRUE, BUT STEEN PLAYS RECEIVER PRIMARILY. # 81, PROVOST IS THE TE. HE HAS GOOD SIZE, SPEED AND HANDS, BUT IMO IS NOT USED AS MUCH AS HE SHOLUD BE IN THE PASSING GAME. HE IS A GREAT BLOCKER, AND IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO BLOCK AFTER THE INITAL BLOCK ON THE START OF THE PLAY. PLEASE JUST WATCH AND SEE.

the clock is ticking,its put up are shut up time . there will be no tomorrow for one of the two of us,so lets get it on . wing t are defense this should be one heck of a football game.if the kids at wo-s cant stop  caldwells wing t ,its going to be a long ride home. BUT if caldwell, cant stop the mustangs speed  its lights out early my friends.

WOS87, I sure hope you are correct.

Looks like I was correct on this one.  Gilmer is an entirely different species (Unlike the past two playoff opponents, Gilmer runs the spread and can pass), although judging from their last few games (and over years past) it appears that they can get a bit overconfident and then get burned when any team frustrates their offensive game in the least which will again play into what we do best, which is shutting down high-powered offenses.  Our offense will need to step up to the plate big time though next week and the defense needs to take it up a notch as well as it only gets more difficult each week. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi