PN-G 28

Jasper 7

Lumberton 7

HF 7

Buna 56

Evadale 0

Deweyville 21

Hemphill 14

Just walked in from HJ/Kelly scrimmage, it was still going on. Here's my take on what I saw. Kelly's D looked solid, HJ couldn't move the ball at all. There were two passes picked off by Kelly that would've gone for touchdowns, but they weren't allowed due to being a controlled scrimmage. On the other side Kelly moved the ball at will, at least the 1st team. Jacobie Wilson scored a long touchdown, but it was called back. A few plays later Fazio hit Donnie Corona while scrambling for a 50+ yard gain. Corona was knocked out at the four, from there Wilson took it in. 7-0 Dogs when I left.

Kelly is good but not deep.

HJ has a lot of work to do, but hey that's what scrimmages are for.

Vidor/Lee wasn't even what you could call a scrimmage. More like a glorified practice for the most part. Lots of 7 on 7 action and inside running drills. For some reason, they played on a field that Lee practices on that is adjacent to the stadium. Freshmen played in the stadium the same time that the JV was out in the field. then, when those two were done, varsity played on the field outside the stadium. Made no sense really. They said something about the fact that it was a practice and not a scrimmage, but cmon, that doesn't mean you have to use the field that you normally practice on lol

Anyway...after all the drills, they finally got to some goal line(from the 7 yard line) and then some punts and kicks and finally about 9 or 10 real plays of 11 on 11. Those were split up between first and second team, so first team O and D for each team got about 5 simulated plays.

You could still get a good gauge of the two teams from the action. It looked as I suspected. About like one would figure a 4A vs 5A matchup would look. Lee scored 5 or 6 times from the 7 out of about 10-12 plays and once on a punt return. Vidor only gained positive yards once out of about 12 plays from the 7 yard line, but they didn't score on that one either. Lee's first team got 3 first downs out of 6 plays they ran in the simulated part, but didn't score. Vidor got 1 or 2 yards total out of their first 8 plays, then broke a couple of good runs on two plays right near the end.

Gooch didn't play for Vidor. Vidor has two really good defensive tackles I thought. They were big ol boys. They also have a good center(I'm sure he's one of the defensive tackles as well, but they didnt have numbers)

Lee will have a much better gauge of what they're going to do this year next week against Galveston Ball.

Cat 22 will have them soon!!

Both first team offenses scored once and each second team scored once also. The second time Huffman's first team O had the ball, they drove the field and OF held them on 4 plays from inside the 10. OF's first team was driving the field and got inside Huffmans 20, but ran out of plays. Huffman finished with 8 first downs to OF's 10. There was about a 20 minute rain delay and when both teams came back out, there were some turnovers due to the wet field. Overall both teams looked good at times, but also did not look good at time too. Both have some work to do, but that is expected this early in the season.

Subvaristy scores:

JV

OF - 0 Huffman - 0

Freshman

OF - 3 Huffman - 0

vidor was not a scrimage. yoy can not say lee 35 vidor 0. it was a practice.lee was big & strong with alot of depth. vidor had 4 or 5 going both ways. the big o lineman & d tackle was chase ferguson. he is one that never came off the field. thought we did very well at the end after the bench clearing. we kind of took control.

Both first team offenses scored once and each second team scored once also. The second time Huffman's first team O had the ball' date=' they drove the field and OF held them on 4 plays from inside the 10. OF's first team was driving the field and got inside Huffmans 20, but ran out of plays. Huffman finished with 8 first downs to OF's 10. There was about a 20 minute rain delay and when both teams came back out, there were some turnovers due to the wet field. Overall both teams looked good at times, but also did not look good at time too. Both have some work to do, but that is expected this early in the season.

Subvaristy scores:

JV

OF - 0 Huffman - 0

Freshman

OF - 3 Huffman - 0[/quote'] OF could surprise some folks this year.

Guest GoStangs

Dayton 28

Richmond Foster 0

That's impressive for Dayton. I know Foster isn't a super power, but it looks like Dayton had a very good showing on both sides of the ball.

That's impressive for Dayton. I know Foster isn't a super power' date=' but it looks like Dayton had a very good showing on both sides of the ball.[/quote'] Yes, the word from a Coach was "Their good".. They have several back from last year with a big line. So the WOS Defense will get tested real quick come week 0.

Looks like Coach Morrison has things going in the right direction over in Bobcat country!

He's doing a good job. We should be ok this year, but I'm really excited about our freshman group. I was very impressed with them today. Got some size and speed in that group. When they are Jr's and Sr's we should be very competitive.

In the controlled scrimmage Dayton scored 4 TD's in 35 plays. In the half that was played Dayton scored 5 more TD's, one of those coming off of a fumble recovery which all turnovers were live in the half, for a total of 9.

Foster scored twice the whole day, once on the freshmen and at the end of the game half against the JV.

Orangefield is going to be okay...rain really messed up the gameplan today for both teams. Orangefield was very basic on offense because of the weather, but moved the ball well all day. Passing game looked sharp and that was without Helton at receiver. I've been impressed with Coach Smalley as offensive coordinator.

Defense needs some work, but Huffman was big and did somethings our guys haven't seen. Mansfield played no defense today due to a bad back. He's got to get better, he's very solid at defensive end and he's a game changer. But overall, once they made a few adjustments we slowed down their ground game, but Huffman threw the ball well. Huffman is a solid football team, they'll compete in that district.

Orangefield is small and has a depth problem...if they can stay away from the injury bug they can compete.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics