What's it gonna take to get PNG back on track???

ndnfan

MB is the AD at PNG for the boys. Barbara Comeaux is girls AD.

That State Championship game was almost 10 years ago and since Mike Long left PNG has had one playoff appearance.

My nephew played on that State Runner Up team in '99 and when asked about the offense he said MB was clueless. He said that when a play was called Matt would ask what it was ("what are we doing"). I attended quite a few practices that year and Mike Long was clearly running that offense. Matt had no part of it. But what that allowed Matt to do was focus on the defense (linebackers primarily) and that is his specialty. That defense was salty and those linebackers were allways in the right spot.

This is what most of us at PNG want to see happen again. I don't want Matt gone, just want an established play caller with some imagination to be given the keys to the offensive car and allowed to drive it alone, without being told which way to go. Then Matt can go back to doing what he does better than most coaches in this area, coaching defense.

As far as talent this year. We have a Very good QB, Two backs near the district rushing lead, a 6'3" WR with great hands and athleticism and another very good WR across from him. We have run playaction maybe three times all season with big success! Why only a few times?? Granted the talent on defense is young, we knew that going in, but this maybe the most overall talent on offense since Dustin Long's Sr. year. The problem is not the talent. The problem is that the opposing defense knows what we are doing before the ball is snapped. I don't care how talented you are, if they know your play they have won half the battle already.

how does vidor, lumberton, and central win.  everyone knows that they are going to run the ball, how does lake travis win everyone knows they are going to throw the ball.  If I was burnett i would throw the keys on the desk and leave.  I have a great idea why dont some of you become the head coach I am sure yall would win state

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gladiator2

I talked to someone who emailed Ms. Randall (PNGISD SUPT.)  and they asked her who was in charge of the athletic program at Groves Middle School and they were told that the campus principal (K.Cummings) is their immediate boss and is who the coaches answer to. She told them it is the same at PNMS.I don't know if this is how it is in other places. I do know that I have seen other head coaches and AD's at middle school games. She said that Burnett does give them the offense and defense to run. It just seems kind of funny that he don't have any say so of whats going on but he does give them the plays to run. She also told them that Matt Burnett is too busy with coaching the Varsity to be able to go to the middle school games. Supposedly, the superintendent was taking up for MB and that if they had any complaints than they were to go to the campus principal. Cummings is a former football coach, not sure if he has watched any of these games. GMS and PNMS 7th graders had a scrimmage this morning and I just talked to someone who was there and said that the QB for Groves put the ball on the ground 15 times and the same player has done this throughout the season and they have not moved him. They said normally he alternates with another kid but the other kid was not there. The parents seen things that the coach has not figured out all season. He did say that Brevell was doing a lot coaching during the scrimmage but he really doesn't have say so of what is going on. All I know is this is the player's that Matt will have in a few years and they are going to have to be taught the game. These same coaches are there with Matt on Friday night's but he is not in charge of them at the MS during the week. I would say this is pretty smart. The Supt. said that they have not gotten complaints from any of the parents, so with that being said she feels everything is O.K. I guess if people have that big of a problem than they need to go to the campus principal and discuss with him the problems.

From an outsiders perspective and after having only seen PNG twice...coaching.  The offense is severly outdated and players aren't put in a position to take advantage of their strengths.

That makes me laugh.  Last year PNG went to a spread offense (after a lot of outside pressure to "get a modern offense")  They switched back to their old offense after a couple of games and everyone called Burnett a smart coach for "making the right move."  No here is someone who admittingly has only seen them twice calling the offense "outdated."  Ridiculous

I really don't believe that any college coach worth his salt would sit on the sidelines and criticize a high school coach to a group of disgruntled parents.  If a coach did that then that college coach is an idiot. Maybe what needs to happen for PNG to win is NEW PARENTS.

MB is the AD at PNG for the boys. Barbara Comeaux is girls AD.

That State Championship game was almost 10 years ago and since Mike Long left PNG has had one playoff appearance.

My nephew played on that State Runner Up team in '99 and when asked about the offense he said MB was clueless. He said that when a play was called Matt would ask what it was ("what are we doing"). I attended quite a few practices that year and Mike Long was clearly running that offense. Matt had no part of it. But what that allowed Matt to do was focus on the defense (linebackers primarily) and that is his specialty. That defense was salty and those linebackers were allways in the right spot.

This is what most of us at PNG want to see happen again. I don't want Matt gone, just want an established play caller with some imagination to be given the keys to the offensive car and allowed to drive it alone, without being told which way to go. Then Matt can go back to doing what he does better than most coaches in this area, coaching defense.

As far as talent this year. We have a Very good QB, Two backs near the district rushing lead, a 6'3" WR with great hands and athleticism and another very good WR across from him. We have run playaction maybe three times all season with big success! Why only a few times?? Granted the talent on defense is young, we knew that going in, but this maybe the most overall talent on offense since Dustin Long's Sr. year. The problem is not the talent. The problem is that the opposing defense knows what we are doing before the ball is snapped. I don't care how talented you are, if they know your play they have won half the battle already.

I cant believe yall can afford 2 ad's ? Oh I forgot about the tank farms. Cut back to 1 and pay an oc.

Guest gladiator2

I could live with Burnett if he would grow some ----- and get rid of some of the coaches who have not did their job. Hell, he might not have control over that either. He is by far the best defensive coach in the area. He needs help on the offensive side. This offense works when you are using the TE in the passing game and using play-action to go down the field. He needs to really start focusing on the fundamentals of the game and go from there. I think that he has depended on the coaches below him to have taught these kid's and by the time he get's them, it's too late. He may not have a choice about what's going on! I bet we might be one of the only 4A schools to have 2 AD's, one for the girls and one for the boy's. And the district is complaining about the Robinhood law, hell if we can afford that than we should not be taking shortcuts. I remember when I was in school when we went out of town to play the school bought us something to eat, now they don't even do that for the middle schools.

From an outsiders perspective and after having only seen PNG twice...coaching.  The offense is severly outdated and players aren't put in a position to take advantage of their strengths.

That makes me laugh.  Last year PNG went to a spread offense (after a lot of outside pressure to "get a modern offense")  They switched back to their old offense after a couple of games and everyone called Burnett a smart coach for "making the right move."  No here is someone who admittingly has only seen them twice calling the offense "outdated."  Ridiculous

been there for all games, season ticket holder, and im calling it  outdated and no i dont have a kid on the team, but 1 coming up thru the STJFL and has always been on a team that goes to our playoffs soon to be headed up to the Jr high and i want the program corrected before our kids get up if that is what is trully going on, we have already got our kids running a spread type formation but still have a stong running game. MB needs to go if he is not going to change and we need to get fundamentally sound coaches in the MS now

HMMM..... I've had 1 son go thru the GMS football program, when Arneau was there,  and he was on last years playoff team. I have one son in 8th grade now at GMS and I can only tell you that I am seriously disappointed in the coaching at GMS. No fundamental teaching, (blocking, tackling etc). I have had to take it upon myself to help teach my son at GMS how to block properly and keep his feet moving and how to properly tackle someone. I asked him why are you guys not blocking and moving your feet or going to where the defensive player is going to be in the play. He told me he was informed to just go straight up. As far as tackling I don't think they know how to tackle. Most of the time it looked like the D was dancing with the O !!!  In my opinion the coaching at GMS really needs alot of help. No fundamental coaching etc....  GMS has some very large boys playing, some of them are 6 foot and over 190lbs already. I think there are several that are within the 5'9" range and around 180lbs.  With 8th graders this size there is no reason what so ever that the offense can't score or move the ball. Why not ? the coaching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think PNG will reload over the next 4-5 years and make the playoffs probably 3-5 times out of that. We have alot of size and tremendous talent coming up to the HS !  With the proper coaching these boys are going to be very dangerous !!!!

I gotta weigh in on this one. PNG lists 66 kids on their roster. 41 of them are seniors. WOS only has 28 kids on their roster. They are the #1 team in state in 3A. Whats the difference? Coaching. Matt is a great guy, but he is not getting much out of his team. PNG has some great atheletes and they play with a lot of heart, but they are getting beat by teams with less talent.

I gotta weigh in on this one. PNG lists 66 kids on their roster. 41 of them are seniors. WOS only has 28 kids on their roster. They are the #1 team in state in 3A. Whats the difference? Coaching. Matt is a great guy, but he is not getting much out of his team. PNG has some great atheletes and they play with a lot of heart, but they are getting beat by teams with less talent.

I agree that coaching could be the problem and this is not a knock on PNG but very few schools can compare to WOS, yes they have great coaching but on PNG team there probably is not 1 or 2 players that have the type of speed that many WOS players have. Speed cant be taught. But with the numbers PNG has they should be better, maybe its time for a change?

I understand yalls frustration at PNG but,  last year yall wanted the coach fired because he implemented the spread offense and praised him because he went back to the old style offense. Now yall want him gone for running what yall begged him to run last year. This is confusing. He is a good coach and a proven winner. I just think he needs some help developing the offense.

HMMM..... I've had 1 son go thru the GMS football program, when Arneau was there,  and he was on last years playoff team. I have one son in 8th grade now at GMS and I can only tell you that I am seriously disappointed in the coaching at GMS. No fundamental teaching, (blocking, tackling etc). I have had to take it upon myself to help teach my son at GMS how to block properly and keep his feet moving and how to properly tackle someone. I asked him why are you guys not blocking and moving your feet or going to where the defensive player is going to be in the play. He told me he was informed to just go straight up. As far as tackling I don't think they know how to tackle. Most of the time it looked like the D was dancing with the O !!!  In my opinion the coaching at GMS really needs alot of help. No fundamental coaching etc....  GMS has some very large boys playing, some of them are 6 foot and over 190lbs already. I think there are several that are within the 5'9" range and around 180lbs.  With 8th graders this size there is no reason what so ever that the offense can't score or move the ball. Why not ? the coaching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think PNG will reload over the next 4-5 years and make the playoffs probably 3-5 times out of that. We have alot of size and tremendous talent coming up to the HS !  With the proper coaching these boys are going to be very dangerous !!!!

I think fan 66 should go get his degree and I bet Burnett will give you a job as a junior high coach.  In a few years PNG will win state in football and then yall can take all of yalls speed and win the 4x100 in track.

Well Texans your sarcasm is only funny at best !!!  By the way I played college ball and I do have a Degree !!! You never know PNG may win state in a few years. I never mentioned anything regarding speed, I was speaking about the size of several of the 8th grade boys ! Heck I think they could possibly win the 4 X 100 in track as well as a state title !!! Oh and by the way I would go and coach a middle school team for free !!! Why ? because of the Love of the game !!!

My point was that at the Middle School level there needs to be taught the fundamentals of football and not settle or accept a minimal standard. With that being said, Burnett should be coaching and teaching and explaining to the Middle School coaches what he expects of them and what he wants those kids to learn !!! It will only increase the learning curve of the boys before they get into High School ! and at the Freshman and JV level it will only require fine tuning.

One of the big problems that I have scene at PNG is the Offensive play calling !!! Same play after same play after same play. The opposing team knows what we are going to do and they stop us. Maybe we need a new OC and not a new Head Coach.

Well Texans your sarcasm is only funny at best !!!  By the way I played college ball and I do have a Degree !!! You never know PNG may win state in a few years. I never mentioned anything regarding speed, I was speaking about the size of several of the 8th grade boys ! Heck I think they could possibly win the 4 X 100 in track as well as a state title !!! Oh and by the way I would go and coach a middle school team for free !!! Why ? because of the Love of the game !!!

My point was that at the Middle School level there needs to be taught the fundamentals of football and not settle or accept a minimal standard. With that being said, Burnett should be coaching and teaching and explaining to the Middle School coaches what he expects of them and what he wants those kids to learn !!! It will only increase the learning curve of the boys before they get into High School ! and at the Freshman and JV level it will only require fine tuning.

One of the big problems that I have scene at PNG is the Offensive play calling !!! Same play after same play after same play. The opposing team knows what we are going to do and they stop us. Maybe we need a new OC and not a new Head Coach.

Yall loved burnett last year, how do you know that the plays are not good plays, maybe the kids are not executing or talented enough to get it done.

I do agree I think the boys on Varsity are not executing as they should. Look at the team this year, most of the boys on the offense were starting last year that are starting this year. I think that we had numerous talented boys this year. I think that some may have spent more time on sidelines than on the field. It is a coaches responsibility to discover and utilize that talent that I think any athlete can have if its not obvious yet. OK so once the talent is shown then the coaches need to utilize that talent in plays and play calling that will benefit the team. If a coach is astute enough he should realize that running the ball every down and not getting anywhere is not working. Hey change it up and mix it up some more. PNG has talent on the offensive side of the ball this year, I just think it wasn't used the way it could have been. Tatum throwing to DeRon more. DeRon is tall and has decent hands. I also noticed that the Tightends were not utilized very much this year. How many times have we (PNG FANS) sat in the stands and seen 2-3 open receivers on the field, but Tatum had to throw to the X receiver the play was designed for even though he was completely covered. What about the old days of the trick plays that PNG use to throw at everyone. I think I've seen one reverse play this year. I just feel that the offense should be adjusted to the talent that is available and that is on the field. The coaches should have let Tatum throw to who was the most open receiver. (like they let Long do ).  I think Burnett is fine, I just think alot of the problems this year is on the hands of OC. Some on the players as well. Good thing is, is that this year is almost over for PNG. I hope there is some serious soul searching and possible changes that will benefit the players for next season and not benefit the coaches.

Please don't compare WOS' numbers and talent ratio with anyone in this galaxy, especially not PNG's, or Nederlands for that matter.  PNG was down in talent this year, most PNG fans that I speak with who don't have kids on the team will tell you that.  It was just a down year.  That doesn't mean anything regarding MB and the coaching job he has/hasn't done.

Yall loved burnett last year, how do you know that the plays are not good plays, maybe the kids are not executing or talented enough to get it done.

Why do you just suspect that we loved MB last year? We fans did not vote for him as Coach of the year.

The problem with the spread last year was that we where not actually running the spread. We went to the shotgun with four receivers, but the only passes we threw where to the RB. There were no crossing patterns and nothing up the field at all. Nederland decided to run the spread and the coaches were sent up to visit with Dodge and learned the ins and outs of the offense. PNG on the other hand just decided one day, hey lets line up in the spread and run some plays!!!!!! Duh!!! Wonder why that didn't work?

I sat in front of some Nederland coaches scouting PNG at the Crosby game earlier this year and I asked them if they were writing anything down and they said no not really. One of them showed me his notes from last year. He laughed and said that it's the same thing over and over again. Another Nederland coach told me last year that the easiest week of preperation for them each year was PNG!!!! And he was dead serious!

I didnt vote for him last year and i still dont care for him, as far as the MS situation our coach now used to be a star at PNG and used to coach but now is with a multi million dollar company but i wish we could convince him back to coaching as he is very good at it, and very good with the kids. They will do anything for him and he does not have to yell

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami