What do you think of when you think of..........

kicker

.....A Certain School???

I saw this evolving from another thread, and decided to see what other people thought of when they think of a certain school.

I dont know.....lets see..... Nederland.....

I think they have ALWAYS had a "power" type running back. I think of a Worster style back kind of a "wishbone" type of running game.

For PNG.........Id prolly say recievers and QB's.

LCM...used to always display a great "option" style QB. Kris Omey, etc.

I would say PNG has the runnning backs..PNG has had alot of solid running backs..

When I think Of Ned.I think of speed..They always have a real fast athlete on the team (kinda of a do it all type guy).

Lumberton for awhile always produced a QB..

It seemed they always had another one every year that stepped up and did pretty good..

And WOS I think of defense..Always ,have size and speed..A solid D..

Whats weird about WOS over the past few, is that weve had an uncommon dominating Offense with an ok Defense. When I played, all we had to do was score 14-21 points a game to win. Our defense would only allow 7-14 points a game. Now that Thompson is back, our defense is getting back to the old style.

I am sure that someone will correct me in short order if I am wrong but hasn't Nederland pretty much owned the all-district quarterback spot for the last few years? I think most of the time Nederland has had the First Team all-district quarterback and on rare occasion maybe the Second Team. In last year's shortened season Moshier got his first start and ended up First Team. Before him (in no order ) was Dustin Hood, Brad Sullivan, Kirk Dean, William Delage and Kevin Barbay.

In those same years, Nederland has also had either the leading rusher in district or close to it. They usually were First Team or Second Team all-district. It makes me wonder with continued success at both quarterback and running back if it isn't the offensive line that is making the difference.

tvc 184-In last year's shortened season Moshier got his first start and ended up First Team. Before him (in no order ) was Dustin Hood, Brad Sullivan, Kirk Dean, William Delage and Kevin Barbay.

i think of quarterbacks too when i think of ned, wasn't eric cammack a qb too. i remember that guy was tough.

i know times have changed since wos went to the spread offense. but when i think of wos i think of great runningbacks. brian cleveland, scottie littleton, terrence brown, kerry bennett, kendall cleveland, ronald brown, tim feathers, kerry franks,eric williams, etc.

Dayton - Hard hitting intense defense and always a good RB. Usually has one kid who can run like the wind.

WOS - Talented receivers and athletisism. High scoring and big plays. Smaller linebackers who have trouble. Can show signs of having trouble stoping the run.

BH - Solid defense with a potentially great offense, just seem to lack coaching ability on the offensive side when post season arrives. Very predictible by week 12. Does not adjust quick to what is not working.

Liberty - Just can't let go of the option and hook-n-ladder. Usually has a few fast kids, but lacks size on the line.

Bridge City - Fast kids, but lack overall size. Usually has one or two very fast skill players.

Silsbee - Big kids, and usually a big line. Seem to lack a balance in the skill player area and lack fundamentals.

Jasper - Emotional team with good skill players. Defense can have issues. Can be a 13-0 team or a 7-6 team any given year.

Nederland - Good fundamental football team. Seem to lack size from time to time. Usually have good skill players.

PNG - FANS....tons of purple. They come to play, but have too many local rivals.

Central - Speed....did I say speed.......

Newton - winners and athletes. Speed and speed and speed. Always a fast RB in the bunch.

Vidor - Hard playing from down 1. Seemt o fall victim to their surroundings. May very well be the dark-horse this year.

Orangfield - Baseball first.

HF and HJ - Keep farming and loan someone the one BIG lineman or RB you usually have. Remember the glory years.

East Chambers - Spoilers.

West Hardin - Hard playing corn fed boys. Just not enough of them to compete with power house area teams.

WOS - Talented receivers and athletisism. High scoring and big plays. Smaller linebackers who have trouble. Can show signs of having trouble stoping the run. Die hard fans who will be buried with their 1980's ticket stubs.

Actually, MOST people (I.E. People who actually have watched WO-S more than just the last two years) would think of a dominating run defense. I think of that and a great secondary (Kevin Smith, Kenneth Beasley, Earl Thomas, Kerry Franks, Jeff Thibodeaux, Jermaine Hope and Michael Ledet all went D1 - and all but one in the last five years).

I wasn't aware of the Ned QBs being all-district frequently. To be honest, I don't think of great QBs when I think of the Bulldogs. I think of strong lines, mostly.

I think of DBs and strong defense at WO-S, kickers at PN-G (not an insult), RBs at the PA schools.

I think there was a guy named Dustin Long was was all-district the year Sullivan played??

That is true but if you read my post, I second First and Second Team all-district. I think Sullivan might have even been the MVP that year or Long was MVP and Sullivan was First Team.

Toss up between Hood and Sullivan. Hood was a better passer and could move well enough to be hard to bring down. He was bigger than most Nederland quarterbacks and was strong. Even with that he was not a great threat to run.

Sullivan was a very accurate passer but didn't have the strong arm of Hood. Sullivan was a dangerous runner and I think most of the time he was the fastest player on the field from either team. They did not use him as an option quarterback but he was a threat to score anytime he decided to cross the line of scrimmage.

Here goes:

PNG--most hated team in the Golden Triangle

Vidor--needs to go AAA. Doesn't mind hitting you after the whistle

Orangefield--average joes

Lumberton--just doesn't have the athletes to compete

Nederland--still trying to get out of the shadow of PNG

WOS--athletic. tradition

Huffman--big, fat linemen

Ozen--athletic but in the shadow of both Ned and PNG

TJ--mystery school that is hard to figure out

LCM--gobbling up WOS

BH--growing by getting the little but slow athletes from other schools

Dayton--pretty good football school who finally quit their crying and are getting ready for a tough district

Bridge City--Lots of really old people who support them.

SFA--Anyone pull that fork out yet?

Ozen/Central--athletic but you never know year to year if they will be worth a crap. Just flat inconsistent.

Silsbee--nice little community. good racially balanced school who can put some players on the field to compete in several sports

Newton--good

Jasper--athletic but no where near the players from the 4A years

Anahuac--would be a good class A team

HF--scoreboard never seems to work

HJ--some good athletes but never enough of them to get the job done

Guest GoStangs

One other thing about Sullivan that impresses me to this day was his toughness. In addition to the games he played against WOS, I particularly remember watching him against Texas City. He had been injured before the game (I think he may have sat out the week before), but still came out to play and gave a fantastic effort, despite being obviously hurt (I remember watching the trainers take his shoulder pads off just before halftime and seeing this unbelievable bruise down the side of his back). He was a competitor, and anytime he touched the ball, he was going to make something good happen for NED. I've seen a lot of football and great players, but Sullivan stands out in my mind as one of the best I've watched.

Sully was just a flat out winner. Hood was a great pure passer and although he did not scramble much, he was very effective at moving within the pocket and buying himself anough time to make a play. He was also extremely calm under pressure. Sullivan was a very rare athlete. I, too, remember the TC game. He was hurting real bad but made it throught he game somehow against a team that ended up winning state that year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder