Who Goes In 20 4A? Top 4!

Guest Luv Ya Blue

So Beating Vidor by 1 point and losing to Lumberton makes us mediocre.  If you remember correctly, one of our best seasons was in 2003 where we got whipped by Ozen (Compare it to the Lumberton loss this year) and we squeeked by Lumberton that year by a score (compare that to the Vidor win).  That year, we went 3 rounds deep. 

Remember, that was called a mediocre team by most of those picking Central to lose every week.

Good point, well taken. That was a great season!

But, I base my opinion on this season and some personal experience watching literally hundreds of 4A football playoff games ( way more non-Nederland games than homer games) for the last decade and seeing what truly formidable teams, many future state champs, look like. Not saying I am an expert, I am just a fan, but that is where I draw my opinion from. My opinion based on that is that the team I saw play last night is a good team, just not a team that I personally think will make a deep run in the playoffs. I loved the bold straight forward in your face offensive plan, but I dont know if its going to work against a high level of defense like many teams in Texas produce year after year. On the flipside, same goes with the defense. Good, but average. Just not a lights out defense. I think you will agree that using Nederland as a gauge would be a foolish thing at this point. Beating us was a good thing, but not a monumental achievement for Central by any scope of the imagination. I say Central won't get a real test in 20-4A this season. I dont think we have a top 10-15 team in the district or in our bi district, unless Lumberton, Vidor, Nederland or Central are able to pull a raddical improvement off. They are just playing one another too close for me to feel like any of them are that good.

Maybe so, and I honestly hope that if you get into the playoffs you are right!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the Central-Nederland game did was verify what westend1 stated in another thread, that Nederland is one of several mediocre teams in 20-4A that had yet to run into any competition. Central is very mediocre too. They are soft to the run defensively (Sounds weird after a win and a decent game, but Nederland could and probably should have run on them all night, Central could not stop Grogan) and totally and completely 1 dimensional on offense... Pure sandlot football.  What it also confirms is that PNG is downright weak, especially after their loss to Vidor.  I hope Lumberton and Livingston are better than I think they are because they are the only hopes I see at this point of 20-4A being represented beyond the 1st round of the playoffs.

No disrespect to Central but what I saw was a VERY basic 1 dimensional offense. Line up in the wishbone and run right at you. Nederland essentially had 11 men in the box all night. They actually did an ok job of containing the run until Central would lob a grenade downfield and get a cheap 35 yard completion or have blown coverage and give the QB a 25 yard gain from 3rd and 100. Actually Nederlands run defense was not too too bad except on 3rd and long, but the secondary needs some serious coaching help. On the very few pass completions that Central got, all the defender needed to do was look up and swat. Chronic problem continues for Nederlands secondary.

mediocre, mediocre, mediocre.

Top 4

Lumberton

Livingston

Central

Vidor/Nederland

in that order.

i'm sorry, but this post makes absolutely no sense at all

you are completely ignorant of 20-4a football

and actually, i'm not sorry, this is one of the stupidest posts i have ever seen on here

lol Pirate, coming from you that really stings buddy.  

Soulja, its honestly not sour grapes at all, I really truly don't hate Central. I would almost rather talk face to face about it than online because its so easy to be misunderstood online. If we talked eye to eye, I know that my comments would come off to you as honest and genuine not sour grapes. I have an opinion about what I saw last night from Nederland and Central, not intended to put Central down or belittle their win. Just an assessment of what I witnessed. I had a feeling that Nederland had not faced a decent opponent and Central was just that to me,,, decent and that was all it took to take them down. This game verified that Nederland is just ok, not great like we Nederland fans were hoping. Reality check, thats all.  :)  

So what you mean to tell me is before this game, Nederland was a great team and their offense is unstoppable, and all other teams in this district sucks.  Now that Nederland have lost, all teams are Mediocre now.  I guess it hurts you that other teams may be better than Nederland.

something to that effect im guessing

this guy's idiocy still confuses me though

and y would you bash your own team???

What the Central-Nederland game did was verify what westend1 stated in another thread, that Nederland is one of several mediocre teams in 20-4A that had yet to run into any competition. Central is very mediocre too. They are soft to the run defensively (Sounds weird after a win and a decent game, but Nederland could and probably should have run on them all night, Central could not stop Grogan) and totally and completely 1 dimensional on offense... Pure sandlot football.  What it also confirms is that PNG is downright weak, especially after their loss to Vidor.  I hope Lumberton and Livingston are better than I think they are because they are the only hopes I see at this point of 20-4A being represented beyond the 1st round of the playoffs.

No disrespect to Central but what I saw was a VERY basic 1 dimensional offense. Line up in the wishbone and run right at you. Nederland essentially had 11 men in the box all night. They actually did an ok job of containing the run until Central would lob a grenade downfield and get a cheap 35 yard completion or have blown coverage and give the QB a 25 yard gain from 3rd and 100. Actually Nederlands run defense was not too too bad except on 3rd and long, but the secondary needs some serious coaching help. On the very few pass completions that Central got, all the defender needed to do was look up and swat. Chronic problem continues for Nederlands secondary.

Top 4

Lumberton

Livingston

Central

Vidor/Nederland

in that order.

and actually, i'm not sorry, this is one of the stupidest posts i have ever seen on here

Soulja, its honestly not sour grapes at all, I really truly don't hate Central. I would almost rather talk face to face about it than online because its so easy to be misunderstood online. If we talked eye to eye, I know that my comments would come off to you as honest and genuine not sour grapes. I have an opinion about what I saw last night from Nederland and Central, not intended to put Central down or belittle their win. Just an assessment of what I witnessed. I had a feeling that Nederland had not faced a decent opponent and Central was just that to me,,, decent and that was all it took to take them down. This game verified that Nederland is just ok, not great like we Nederland fans were hoping. Reality check, thats all.  :)  

So what you mean to tell me is before this game, Nederland was a great team and their offense is unstoppable, and all other teams in this district sucks.  Now that Nederland have lost, all teams are Mediocre now.  I guess it hurts you that other teams may be better than Nederland.

Ok, I'll play.  :)

No, I have definitely never said that Nederland was a great team, at least not this season. I am reasonably certain that I personally never said that their offense was unstoppable this year. Go find somewhere that I said anything of the sort, I am pretty sure I never did.  Again, written word is easily misunderstood because,, I have no problems with other teams being better than Nederland. I have no problem with Nederland losing to great teams, I do hate to see them lose to average teams because it confirms that they are not as great as I hoped. I am sure that you being a pretty astute fan feel the same way about Central when you really think about it. I am pretty sure that the fact that you only beat Vidor by one point brings a shiver down your spine because you know that Central really should be able to beat them more decisively that that if they are a legit playoff contender.

Based on historical experience, results and what I saw last night I think Central is average in the big picture.  I said yesterday before the game was played that I did not think there were any legit contenders in our district INCLUDING Nederland and it was going to probably take a few rounds into the playoffs to get to a legit contender to prove otherwise.  As a matter of fact I was careful to say in all my posts that the jury was still out when questions about Nederlands actual strength were asked. I was hopeful that they were a great team, who isn't hopeful that their team is great on a Statewide contender level? You have to see what I am talking about, you have been around too long.

Just looking at last night and not the big picture I honestly say, kudos and big congrats to Central on a well played game.

i'm guessing that you have been away from 20-4a for a while

we have a good team this year..

and i know what's gonna send chills down your spine

playin vidor on homecoming baby!!!

also... ur an idiot

Top 4

Lumberton

Livingston

Central

Vidor/Nederland

in that order.

No, I have definitely never said that Nederland was a great team, at least not this season. I am reasonably certain that I personally never said that their offense was unstoppable this year. Go find somewhere that I said anything of the sort, I am pretty sure I never did.  Again, written word is easily misunderstood because,, I have no problems with other teams being better than Nederland. I have no problem with Nederland losing to great teams, I do hate to see them lose to average teams because it confirms that they are not as great as I hoped. I am sure that you being a pretty astute fan feel the same way about Central when you really think about it. I am pretty sure that the fact that you only beat Vidor by one point brings a shiver down your spine because you know that Central really should be able to beat them more decisively that that if they are a legit playoff contender.

Based on historical experience, results and what I saw last night I think Central is average in the big picture.  I said yesterday before the game was played that I did not think there were any legit contenders in our district INCLUDING Nederland and it was going to probably take a few rounds into the playoffs to get to a legit contender to prove otherwise.  As a matter of fact I was careful to say in all my posts that the jury was still out when questions about Nederlands actual strength were asked. I was hopeful that they were a great team, who isn't hopeful that their team is great on a Statewide contender level? You have to see what I am talking about, you have been around too long.

Just looking at last night and not the big picture I honestly say, kudos and big congrats to Central on a well played game.

also... ur an idiot

Vidor is not that good.  Nederland is not that good. Central is not that good.  Livingston is not that good.  Lumberton is not that good.  Pretty evenly matched, but none of the top four in this district could beat Dayton, Friendswood or Texas City.  We have a good district because all the teams are at about the same skill level.  I don't see why you all are so offended at this fact.  Get over it.  It will be fun down the stretch. One of the fairly good teams will not make it this year.  But none will go further than the 2nd or 3rd round.  Good luck to everyone.

I get what hes saying and I'm with him in a way. I dont think there is a complete team in the District right now. And I think everyone has some work to do if they wanna make any kind of playoff run. I would say we have about 4 good teams but no great teams.

And dme111 is alittle over critical but getting to the third round of the playoffs is a pretty big deal for most schools. (Dayton fans correct me if I'm wrong) but Daytons first time to get past the 3rd round was last year. And they have had some really good teams.

how exactly can you prove that the top 4 teams in district are "not that good"

you can't...

I can see how you feel that way being from Vidor and never going to the playoffs.  If you had ever been you would have seen that the teams get a LOT better in the playoffs. They have complete teams.  Teams that can pass, run, and play tremendous defense. No one in 20-4a has the complete package.  From what I have seen this far I think Lumberton has the best chance of advancing in the playoffs. They have a solid defense and a decently two dimensional offense.

Central is to one dimensional on offense and has a pretty good defense.  I think Vidor very easily could be 1-3 in district if not for one very spirited half of football.  Nederland has a tremendous offense and an iffy defense. The wildcard to me is still Livingston.

Guest Pirate V Ball

Vidor has been to the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could easily be 3-0 as well, a blocked PAT at the end cost us the Central game.  ;)

Vidor has been to the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could easily be 3-0 as well, a blocked PAT at the end cost us the Central game.  ;)

I meant in the recent past.  Trust me. Vidor is not as good as all you Vidorians believe.

Guess we'll have to wait and see next friday then... Don't judge us until you've played us... And yes we are good when he hold onto the ball, we showed that last night...

how exactly can you prove that the top 4 teams in district are "not that good"

you can't...

I can see how you feel that way being from Vidor and never going to the playoffs.  If you had ever been you would have seen that the teams get a LOT better in the playoffs. They have complete teams.  Teams that can pass, run, and play tremendous defense. No one in 20-4a has the complete package.   From what I have seen this far I think Lumberton has the best chance of advancing in the playoffs. They have a solid defense and a decently two dimensional offense.

Central is to one dimensional on offense and has a pretty good defense.  I think Vidor very easily could be 1-3 in district if not for one very spirited half of football.  Nederland has a tremendous offense and an iffy defense. The wildcard to me is still Livingston.

I meant in the recent past.  Trust me. Vidor is not as good as all you Vidorians believe.

We have a good team this year! Nederland will find out soon enough!!!!!!!!! I hope your not saying Nederland is that good this year?

Hey dme1111,  you  might want to ease up a little bit. I think you might be hurting his

feelings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO

Hammer him some more i love it

We have a good team this year! Nederland will find out soon enough!!!!!!!!! I hope your not saying Nederland is that good this year?

Vidor may well have a better team than Nederland this year, but I will bet you a coca cola that Vidor will not contend for a regional, much less state title this year.

This is an excercise in futility, but I will try this one more time. You ask so I tell you, the reason I think I have a pretty good idea about the real quality of these teams is because like a few others I know here, I have seen so much high school football you would not believe it. Way outside of 20-4A and Region III. I really have. I have seen playoff games by the hundreds, all sorts of teams from all classes but mostly 4A because it interests me.  I have seen what really truly good teams look like when they play. Our beloved 20-4A teams are good solid high school football teams but they are not playing anywhere close to the level of execution that really good teams play. Really good teams play lights out and I mean LIGHTS OUT defense with no mistakes against teams they should beat. Offenses are crisp and virtually flawless, its like watching a machine, its awe inspiring to watch them execute. When two of these teams meet its like watching a chess game to see who is going to be the first one to make a mistake. Dayton last year was a great example of this defensively. But Lake Travis made them look like a Junior High team. Once Dayton got rolling there was absolutely no one that was going to beat them, they were truly awesome,, until they met Goliath. This year when Nederland hammered PNG and then scored 49 points in less than a half of football on LCM, I thought maybe they were beginning to show signs of being some semblance "that good", but they were not, not yet anyway and I doubt they will be. By now they would be hammering average district teams, even the good ones if they were that good.

Central has played too close to mediocre teams this season to classify them as "that good". Dont get me wrong I realize Vidor is totally bad to the bone but playing a 1 point game with Vidor is not a good thing. With all due respect, if a team loses to Vidor odds are its a sign of that teams weakness not Vidor's strength. I know I am a jerk for saying that but its true.

Lumberton met up with a pretty good team last year in Waller, but they (neither Lumberton nor Waller) were good enough.. Central and LaMarque a couple of years ago, Central saw that elite level.. I am telling you guys that have not seen it in person, its a whole different level of football it really is. When you see it you will know,, there is no doubt about it.

All that being said, my opinion is just that. Just like other things,, we all have em'.  :)

Guess we'll have to wait and see next friday then... Don't judge us until you've played us... And yes we are good when he hold onto the ball, we showed that last night...

I don't think it will be as close as you think...  :DDon't think Vidor has the defense Central has and don't think you will stop Grogan, Bellows,Cardenas,Vidrine,Brady or any of the rest of our offense. I really look forward to the vidor game but, right now we're focused on livingston

Vidor may well have a better team than Nederland this year, but I will bet you a coca cola that Vidor will not contend for a regional, much less state title this year.

This is an excercise in futility, but I will try this one more time. You ask so I tell you, the reason I think I have a pretty good idea about the real quality of these teams is because like a few others I know here, I have seen so much high school football you would not believe it. Way outside of 20-4A and Region III. I really have. I have seen playoff games by the hundreds, all sorts of teams from all classes but mostly 4A because it interests me.  I have seen what really truly good teams look like when they play. Our beloved 20-4A teams are good solid high school football teams but they are not playing anywhere close to the level of execution that really good teams play. Really good teams play lights out and I mean LIGHTS OUT defense with no mistakes against teams they should beat. Offenses are crisp and virtually flawless, its like watching a machine, its awe inspiring to watch them execute. When two of these teams meet its like watching a chess game to see who is going to be the first one to make a mistake. Dayton last year was a great example of this defensively. But Lake Travis made them look like a Junior High team. Once Dayton got rolling there was absolutely no one that was going to beat them, they were truly awesome,, until they met Goliath. This year when Nederland hammered PNG and then scored 49 points in less than a half of football on LCM, I thought maybe they were beginning to show signs of being some semblance "that good", but they were not, not yet anyway and I doubt they will be. By now they would be hammering average district teams, even the good ones if they were that good.

Central has played too close to mediocre teams this season to classify them as "that good". Dont get me wrong I realize Vidor is totally bad to the bone but playing a 1 point game with Vidor is not a good thing. With all due respect, if a team loses to Vidor odds are its a sign of that teams weakness not Vidor's strength. I know I am a jerk for saying that but its true.

Lumberton met up with a pretty good team last year in Waller, but they (neither Lumberton nor Waller) were good enough.. Central and LaMarque a couple of years ago, Central saw that elite level.. I am telling you guys that have not seen it in person, its a whole different level of football it really is. When you see it you will know,, there is no doubt about it.

All that being said, my opinion is just that. Just like other things,, we all have em'.  :)

You know, I'm glad you brought that up, because that was going to be my next post on this before reading this.  You can ask anyone that I discuss football to.  I believe you can pull up some of my old threads on that game.  That 2006 LaMarque team was a mirror image of my 2006 Jag team.  IMO, our offense was better than theirs.  But I knew their defense was a little better.  That team made it up and down the field on 'mediocre' plays with  the starting RB hurt (a defensive player by the name of M. Pouncy came in) and the backup QB.  I'm still in disbelief that we got manhandled by that team. 

That LaMarque team have to be the exception, Michael.  I belive their record was the same as us that year.  They had no D-1 prospects or nothing.  Yet, after beating us, those 'Mediocre' guys took it all the way and beat a good Waco team in the state championship.

Oh we need to trust you? That must be what we have been doing wrong! ;D

Oh we need to trust you? That must be what we have been doing wrong! ;D

Wow!!! did you think of that all by yourself... wait and see vidorian... wait and see

Top 4

Lumberton

Livingston

Central

Vidor/Nederland

in that order.

also... ur an idiot

Vidor is not that good.  Nederland is not that good. Central is not that good.  Livingston is not that good.  Lumberton is not that good.  Pretty evenly matched, but none of the top four in this district could beat Dayton, Friendswood or Texas City.  We have a good district because all the teams are at about the same skill level.  I don't see why you all are so offended at this fact.  Get over it.  It will be fun down the stretch. One of the fairly good teams will not make it this year.  But none will go further than the 2nd or 3rd round.  Good luck to everyone.

dude dont put down the teams like that!! do you watch every single one of their games?! (doubt it) all teams play really strong!

Lumberton is the best team in the district (My opinion)

we had one off game (vidor)

but we pulled it together after that and are more pumped than ever to go deep in the play offs.

dont under estimate the L-train.

if you actually watched us play. were improving every game and fast.

and all the other district teams well do good in playoffs to.

dont diss us dude!

Wow NDN, you guys lose one gam and you drop your team to 4th, harsh.

Raider, PNG won't be one of the 4 representing the district.  I believe Vidor took care of us last night.  But its ok, its late...I understand.  Best of luck to the Raiders....we'll see you at the new Rez!

Guest rykerx144

i agree, I believe that LCM will win a district game and It will be against a team that thought they was going to the playoffs until they look past LCM.  (I cant believe I just said that)!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476