No shirts mean no cheers at Silsbee High School

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would be putting on a hat, sunglasses and different clothes and go ahead and go to my senior homecoming. I have been to several Silsbee games over the last couple of years and have never had a problem with body paint. Its not like its females with their chests painted, the one female I saw had on a t-shirt with the paint on the front of it. Seriously a big thumbs down for the "new" administration at Silsbee.

I don't care one way or the other. I don't think the students have a complaint however about being put out of the game.

There seems to be different versions of the events but there seems to be one that is not in dispute. They were given a warning before they were tossed out. I have a problem with students not following rules whether they like the rules or not. If a school official tells you something you don't like, oh well.

Follow the rules and file a grievance later. Get the parents to go in front of the school board. I have no problem with appeals or grievances. There is a time and place to fight a rule or regulation and they chose the wrong venue.

My 8 and 9 year old were baring their painted chest on Friday night at the WOS football game along with their 2 friends who are 10 and 8. They each had a letter on their chest that spelled W O S #1. I'm sure we are next.

This is quite a bit overboard by the administration.  Especially the punishment.  Lighten up Silsbee.  Talk about putting a damper on some kids innocent fun.  Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit.  Seems the administration is out to make a point.

.............. Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit.  Seems the administration is out to make a point.

Sure there is a rule. A school official walked up and told the students to cover up. They have that authority on their property. The school officials can go as far as having offenders arrested for trespassing if they fail to leave when asked. I have seen that in person.

I don't see a problem with no shirts and think the principal is being too strict but when told to comply or leave, the students made their choice. How much of a rule do you need?

For the rest of these kids lives, someone is going to be making rules they don't like or disagree with.  Better get used to it now.

No kidding. I wish that I only had to follow the rules that I agree with.

I agree with following the rules. The only thing I would say is, lets not change them on the fly. If the rules are laid out then they should be followed. On the other hand if they have been doing this for two years it seems as thought it would have been addressed before it happened if the rule changed.

If the worse these kids do at school is paint their bodies team colors I think they should be left alone.  Unecessary rules breed rebellion. Why provoke a good student? I loved it at the MCM game Saturday night.  I think it shows great school spirit and makes for a great atmosphere.  However I do agree that kids should learn young that they will face rules and regulations in life they don't agree with but still have to do.

.............. Yes, rules are rules, but from what I read there is no rule against this kind of spirit.  Seems the administration is out to make a point.

Sure there is a rule. A school official walked up and told the students to cover up. They have that authority on their property. The school officials can go as far as having offenders arrested for trespassing if they fail to leave when asked. I have seen that in person.

I don't see a problem with no shirts and think the principal is being too strict but when told to comply or leave, the students made their choice. How much of a rule do you need?

"Lokey said there is no school policy against shirtless fans at football games, so it's a subjective call."

This is stupid. The school administrator herself admits that this is not an explicit rule, it is discretionary. In my view it is a prime example of an abuse of that discretion. If what these students are doing could possibly be construed as profane or even mildly offensive - even to the other side - there might be some small argument to be made for making a rule or exercising this type of discretion. None of that is present here. With some of the outfits that cheerleaders and drill teams wear - I cannot imagine how male students with body paint - a common practice in sporting events at every level - can be viewed as even marginally inappropriate. What's next - requiring full body swimsuits at high school swim meets? Gawd forbid someone see a man's nipple.

As to not complying: these students took the only measure at their disposal. They disagreed with a stupid judgment call and refused to comply with it, thus drawing attention to the problem. I only hope that someone in a position of power at Silsbee pulls their head out of their nether regions and reverses this silly situation.

This type of school spirit is awesome and I salute these kids from Silsbee. Truly sad :(

What's really stupid is that the Scrubs did this last year (body paint) and the administration didn't do anything. Kicking them out of the game seems like an ok punishment but not allowing them to go to their Senior Homecoming is outright stupid! If this is how the new administration wants to run SHS, Mike Day needs to unretire and go back to SHS.

Judex!

come on now, the only measure at their disposal? maybe the students should have pulled their heads...i refrain from discussing students' nether regions. why not comply and appeal the ruling later?  what was shown was not school spirit, it was a display of self-pride and rebellion, and that is awful. i shame their actions because that is what is truly sad.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder