BREAKING NEWS: LC-M @ WO-S, Sat 6:30 p.m.

They only have one day. They use Friday as a walk through. ;D

I read that somewhere else!  Couldn't believe it!!!!  Couldn't believe they'd ADMIT it either!!!!  LOL...Wow!  Some of them would have a rude awakening as a Mustang, wouldn't they? 

It sure seems to work for us. Maybe we shouldn't give out our secrets? ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abovetherim

Thanks to whomever made this possible. Now, I'll spend the next couple days praying for rain. A wet and soggy field will slow down those Mustangs from WO-S and maybe contribute to a couple WO-S TO's.

Best of luck LC-M and may both teams win from here on out.

LC-M-WO-S game back on

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

It’s official.

Orange, Texas is wearing a smile on its face again.

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville-West Orange-Stark non-district football game, known as “The Orange Bowl†is back on schedule after Hurricane Gustav and the evacuation procedure blew through earlier in the week.

The game will kickoff at Dan R. Hooks Stadium at WO-S High School at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

The game was originally called off by LC-M officials on Tuesday but a plan was worked out Wednesday to make sure the game would still be played.

The Mustangs traveled to Mid-County last week and waltzed past the Nederland Bulldogs 33-13 while the Battlin’ Bears had their open week and will start the season playing the Mustangs after scrimmaging Baytown Lee last week.

With the “Orange Bowl†on once again, that means every team in Southeast Texas will be back on the playing fields Friday and Saturday.

The Vidor Pirates, fresh off a 15-7 season-opening win against Beaumont Kelly last week, will get the ball rolling early as they’ll play host to the Houston St. Thomas Eagles at 7:30 p.m. Friday night.

Bridge City, which downed Liberty 32-20 last week to start the season in fine fashion, will welcome the Kountze Lions to Larry Ward Stadium Saturday for a 6 p.m. start.

The Orangefield Bobcats look to bounce back from a 26-7 defeat at the hands of East Chambers last week by hosting former long-time rival Buna Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at F.L. McLain Stadium.

The Deweyville Pirates, fresh off of whipping Sabine Pass, will go on the road to face long-time rival Evadale Saturday at 7 p.m.

Other games heavily loaded with local interest come Saturday will be Port Arthur Memorial vs. Beaumont Ozen at 7 p.m. at Babe Zaharias Stadium; Beaumont West Brook will take on Beaumont Central at 7 p.m. at Durley Stadium; Port Neches-Groves will be at Crosby at 7 p.m.; Lumberton will welcome Barbers Hill at 7 p.m.; Silsbee will host Diboll at 6 p.m.; Beaumont Kelly will visit Hitchcock at 6 p.m. Hardin-Jefferson will be at Woodville at 7:30 p.m. and after a late decision Kirbyville will visit Jasper for a 7:30 p.m. start.

In volleyball news, the LC-M Lady Bears will take on District 20-4A rival PN-G at PN-G Friday to start 20-4A play. The match was originally scheduled for Tuesday. That means the Lady Bears’ non-district game at Bridge City has been called off. The YMBL Tournament in Beaumont Thursday and Saturday will continue to take place as well.

Beaumont Enterprise

Orange Bowl high school football game back on, coach says

By CHRISTOPHER DABE

September, 3, 2008

The varsity football game between Little Cypress-Mauriceville and West Orange-Stark will be 6:30 p.m. Saturday, LC-M coach Todd Moody said today.

With enough players back from Hurricane Gustav evacuations, Moody said he felt comfortable enough for his team to play at WO-S, which holds a 22-2 all-time record against the LC-M.

Moody had canceled the game Tuesday because he didn’t think his team would have time to adequately prepare to play WO-S.

WO-S coach Dan Hooks said he wanted to play all along. He said not playing the game would cost his school its largest gate intake of the season.

Hooks said WO-S and LC-M each got $6,000 in ticket revenue the last time the teams played at WO-S, in 2006.

The game is among several rescheduled from Friday to Saturday after Gustav evacuations.

Moody may not have wanted to play, but believe it or not this is a business.  If they wouldn't have played us this year, we probably wouldn't play them anymore.  WE can always find someone to play us.  Also its not fair to kids that are looking to play at the next.  Numbers play a large part in getting looked at and standing out against other players.  40 touchdowns look better than 36 for a guy like Garrett.  Its a nice round number.  See ya at DRH.

Cant wait to see what these two have to say, I just wish that I could have been in there for the initial discussion I can guarantee that Coach Hooks face was as red as a fireball! This was truly the best outcome, I think that this would have ruined the future matchups to come if there would have been any at all!

Thank God all is well at LC-M after they were hit by the narrowest sub-hurricane in history! It missed West Orange, Bridge City, Orangefield, Lumberton, Nederland, Port Neches, Beaumont, Vidor, Sour Lake, and every other school district. While all other schools were prepping to play, one school in SETX was decimated by a ruthless and devastating storm. One brave coach finally decided to ignore the tragic horrors that faced him and play the game... Hurricane Moody!

P.S.: Moody has cancelled the game against Bridge City due to a rumor that the Miami Hurricanes MIGHT be on national TV that night.

Gabriel Pruett's blog from; updated Wednesday, Sept. 3

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Glad to have everyone back and happy to report, you didn't miss a single thing.

Hurricane Gustav did not bring even as much as Edouard did about a month ago.

We are very fortunate in Southeast Texas yet should be mindful of the effects felt in Louisiana, our bordering state. My prayers are out to those who were affected and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Now on to the real reason for today's blog.

Kudos to WO-S Head Coach Dan Hooks, LC-M Head Coach Todd Moody and everyone involved in making sure the Bears travel to face the Mustangs this Saturday.

Even though it has been well documented Moody did not think it was best for LC-M to play WO-S, the response to The Orange Bowl being cancelled did not sit well with either community.

Moody had a change of heart and the game is now on.

It takes a big man and a man I will respect when he sees a mistake and does everything to correct it.

This game needed to be played in honor of both team's players, fans, drill teams, bands, cheerleaders and communities - not to mention all the assistant coaches who wanted to be a part of it.

Hooks was more than irritated on Tuesday the game was called off yet he never closed the book on the possibility of making it happen.

I'm from PN-G and everyone knows Hooks is public enemy No. 1 in Mid-County, especially back when the Mustangs were in the 4A ranks.

I have worked at The Orange Leader for nearly five years and met Hooks on one of the first days at the paper.

WO-S fans you are truly blessed to have one of the best coaches in the state.

Hooks and his staff get the most out of each and every player on the roster.

I hope people put the troubles behind them and now look forward to going out to a great game between two rivals. Remember, WO-S downed LC-M 6-0 last year so you never know what can happen when two teams step on the field.

Good luck to all our teams this weekend.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami