Simmons: LU stronger, more vibrant, more vital university today

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Not really sports related, but some excerpts from Dr. Simmons convocation speech today:

In the last 10 years, enrollment has increased from 8,100 students to almost 14,000 students, he said, thanks in part to master’s students enrolled through a partnership with Higher Education Holdings (HEH). “Excluding these enrollments, though, we’re at a healthy campus enrollment of 10,500,†he said. “This fall will mark the largest enrollment in our history by several thousand students.â€

The university has added many programs, including five new bachelor’s-degree programs, three new master’s programs and three new doctoral degrees, including the first Ph.D. Lamar has created three new academic chairs, while two academic departments have been named for donors. Named scholarships have increased from 230 in 1998 to 420 today, a 78 percent increase.

Combined endowments in the university and the Lamar University Foundation have almost tripled, from $22 million to more than $65 million today. Externally funded research has increased from less than $4 million to $8 million.

Lamar plans to begin construction of Cardinal Village V in 2009 for occupancy in 2010.

Link: http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/news/207_6853.htm

Are you guys getting fees towards athletics from the 3,500 students (or however many -- says 14,000 students with a real campus enrollment of 10,500) in the HEH program?

SHSU's President annual talk to the faculty and staff is August 28th. I'm glad Presidents do these and public relations offices cover them, because it gives us a pretty good recap of the year that was and the year that is going to be...

Guest abovetherim

I was reading the article about a $100 million dollar "Investing in the Future" campaign written in May stating Lamar had raised $46 million during the "silent phase". Well, in the past 3 months Lamar has raised an additional $5 million.

Lamar’s “Investing in the Future†campaign is well on its way toward its ambitious goal of $100 million, with more than $51 million raised to date. That amount includes two $5 million gifts – from Sheila and Walter Umphrey and Phil and Karen Drayer –  “and many, many other major gifts from other individuals who have a real passion for our university.† In October, Lamar will launch a new phase of the campaign, in which Lamar employees and retirees will be asked to add their support.

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/news/207_6853.htm

I was reading the article about a $100 million dollar "Investing in the Future" campaign written in May stating Lamar had raised $46 million during the "silent phase". Well, in the past 3 months Lamar has raised an additional $5 million.

Lamar’s “Investing in the Future†campaign is well on its way toward its ambitious goal of $100 million, with more than $51 million raised to date. That amount includes two $5 million gifts – from Sheila and Walter Umphrey and Phil and Karen Drayer –  “and many, many other major gifts from other individuals who have a real passion for our university.† In October, Lamar will launch a new phase of the campaign, in which Lamar employees and retirees will be asked to add their support.

This is the hidden content, please

That campaign puts SHSU to shame. You guys benefited from some large donors and what seems like large support from other individuals.

Has Lamar typically had strong alumni support? SHSU lacked in that area for way too long until recently. We are finally now making strides in the area, but as was the case with a lot of things -- we had to dig out of a huge hole. Hopefully, we can capitalize down the road...

Guest coachacola

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/news/207_6853.htm

That campaign puts SHSU to shame. You guys benefited from some large donors and what seems like large support from other individuals.

Has Lamar typically had strong alumni support? SHSU lacked in that area for way too long until recently. We are finally now making strides in the area, but as was the case with a lot of things -- we had to dig out of a huge hole. Hopefully, we can capitalize down the road...

I think Lamar has always had decent alumni support but nothing like this.  Lamar had to dig itself out of a big financial mess, that's why it's part of the Texas State University System and not the Lamar University System.

I think Lamar's roots as a technical college and a good engineering school has really helped.  Several of the large donations have come from alumni with engineering degrees from Lamar.  Another plus for Lamar is being located in a metro area where a large of companies do business.  But Lamar's well-being has always been tied to the local economy.  Hopefully with all the progress that's happening on campus Lamar can be more independent of the local economy.

Guest coachacola

Lamar needs to build a classroom building. This would open the school up for growth...

Looks like they are trying to get a new biology building:

Looking to the future and the state legislative session that begins in January, Simmons said Lamar University has requested more funding from Texas Legislature than ever before. “At the top of our list are funds for a new science building (biology), the renovation of other buildings (such as Maes), the replacing of our physical plant and many other projects,†he said.

Ok I'm hearing 14,000 on campus. Can anyone confirm? 

The above article stated 10,500 on campus and just under 14,000 overall (due to that program -- also mentioned above). Unless I read that wrong...

If true, this amazing since football has yet to start. I think Lamar target goal on campus should be 20,000 by 2012.

SHSU's goal is 20,000 and it may be reached somewhere in the 2012-15 range. Each year, the school seems to experience a 3% increase in enrollment (which is what is budgeted for at the very least). Over the last few years, we've been the fastest growing school in the state. You guys may take the nod with the lift from that program

Ok I'm hearing 14,000 on campus. Can anyone confirm?

The above article stated 10,500 on campus and just under 14,000 overall (due to that program -- also mentioned above). Unless I read that wrong...

If true, this amazing since football has yet to start. I think Lamar target goal on campus should be 20,000 by 2012.

SHSU's goal is 20,000 and it may be reached somewhere in the 2012-15 range. Each year, the school seems to experience a 3% increase in enrollment (which is what is budgeted for at the very least). Over the last few years, we've been the fastest growing school in the state. You guys may take the nod with the lift from that program

This part is confusing...

In the last 10 years, enrollment has increased from 8,100 students to almost 14,000 students, he said, thanks in part to masters students enrolled through a partnership with Higher Education Holdings (HEH). Excluding these enrollments, though, were at a healthy campus enrollment of 10,500, he said.

My understand is right now, or as of the spring 08 enrollment Lamar was 10,500 on campus and 14,000 HEH.

Therefore:

This fall will mark the largest enrollment in our history by several thousand students.

The 14,000 I heard must have been meant as on campus. It would'nt be 14,000 HEH and 10,500 on campus again for the fall. Maybe 14,000 on campus and 18,000 including HEH.

Guest coachacola

I think it's 10,500 on campus and 14,000 total including HEH.  10,500 on campus would be a 3% increase over last fall's 10,200 campus enrollment.

I think it's 10,500 on campus and 14,000 total including HEH.  10,500 on campus would be a 3% increase over last fall's 10,200 campus enrollment.

That can't be right. Lamar has been averaging about 1,000 students difference between the fall and spring. The exception was spring of 08.

If Lamar can only gain 300 students from spring 08 to fall 08, then that is pitiful.

“This fall will mark the largest enrollment in our history by several thousand students.â€

and 10,500 is not the largest enrollment in LU history.

Guest coachacola

Lamar's largest enrollment was over 13,000 for the 1983-84 school year, but that was when the Lamar Institute of Technology was part of Lamar.  14,000 total enrollment is probably a new record even though there's not that many students on campus. 

Lamar's strategic plan is to increase enrollment by 2% - 4% a year so they're on target.

Link: Lamar University Strategic Plan 2007-2011

Guest abovetherim

Mffl, glad to see a few more moderators here. I can't wait till Feb. 5, 2009 and the traffic on this forum. I'm excited about the future and I welcome all the assistance.

I was talking to someone in the athletic department and they told me they just received the largest gift to the Cardinal Club. It was from a former football player.

"Our university" is poised for great things in academics and athletics.

Again, I'm glad to have you with me here. This site just keeps getting better.

Guest abovetherim

smith that is cool. Thanks for posting it. It was great except for the first two names on the media guide. Also, I didn't know Sonny Jolly was the AD. He was a tremendous track coach.

smith that is cool. Thanks for posting it. It was great except for the first two names on the media guide. Also, I didn't know Sonny Jolly was the AD. He was a tremendous track coach.

I was about to duplicate your post, until I read yours more closely. I agree with you.  The Board of Regents and a few coaches, caught my interest.  But we could have done without the first two.

Go Big Red

Guest coachacola

A few years ago I found a document on the internet with Lamar's enrollment from 1951 up to 2004.  I'm not sure how accurate it is but it seems to be pretty accurate.

Lamar had 1030 students for the '51-'52 school year.  Enrollment reached 10,000 in the '68-'69 school year, peaked at 13,161 in '84-'85, then bottomed out at 8,149 in 1999-2000.  Enrollment pretty much followed the local economy all those years.

Mffl, glad to see a few more moderators here. I can't wait till Feb. 5, 2009 and the traffic on this forum. I'm excited about the future and I welcome all the assistance.

I was talking to someone in the athletic department and they told me they just received the largest gift to the Cardinal Club. It was from a former football player.

"Our university" is poised for great things in academics and athletics.

Again, I'm glad to have you with me here. This site just keeps getting better.

Thanks rim, you've turned this board into a great source for everything Lamar!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder