Story on BH

BH fighting through the heat

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun

Published August 10, 2006

MONT BELVIEU — As the heat picked up for what would be another searing day of practice, the Barbers Hill football team concluded their workout with the time-honored tradition of wind sprints. The Eagles completed their third day of preseason football Wednesday in preparation for the first season competing in Class 4A.

The Eagles enter the season looking to fill holes on the offensive line as well as the secondary. And of course there is the quarterback position, where senior Blake Patton will take over the reins. Last season Patton was a receiver and running back on the offensive side of the ball.

“Blake has done real well,†BH head coach Don Price said. “He is making some progress. We are a no-huddle system and not only does he call the plays but he calls protection. It’s not difficult, it is just getting it to become second nature.â€

With the move of Patton to quarterback, Barbers Hill will look for someone to take over his position at cornerback on defense where he was All-District last season. District 23-3A MVP Mason Fisher will also move primarily to offense, vacating his safety position. According to Price the athletes are available to fill in those spots but varsity experience is lacking.

The offensive line will also be a focal point entering the 2006 campaign. Shelton Rainey, the only returning starter, suffered a broken ankle the week before two-a-days and will be out for eight to 10 weeks.

“We miss his leadership as well as his ability,†Price said.

“We have only had one dehydration problem,†Price said. “The kids have been through the conditioning program and are in good shape. It has only been in the last 15 to 20 minutes of practice that the heat has had an effect.

“The effort has been good but until you get the pads on and you get into the scrimmages it is hard to tell how things are going. We are trying to put in everything that we do in the first five days of practice. Next week we will begin to refine it.â€

"With the move of Patton to quarterback, Barbers Hill will look for someone to take over his position at cornerback on defense where he was All-District last season. District 23-3A MVP Mason Fisher will also move primarily to offense, vacating his safety position."

Would be a nice luxury, but no way this is possible!

"With the move of Patton to quarterback' date=' Barbers Hill will look for someone to take over his position at cornerback on defense where he was All-District last season. District 23-3A MVP Mason Fisher will also move primarily to offense, vacating his safety position."

Would be a nice luxury, but no way this is possible![/quote']

Anything is possible and don't worry, their positions have been filled with very talented athletes. The defense is very solid.

"With the move of Patton to quarterback' date=' Barbers Hill will look for someone to take over his position at cornerback on defense where he was All-District last season. District 23-3A MVP Mason Fisher will also move primarily to offense, vacating his safety position."

Would be a nice luxury, but no way this is possible![/quote']

I agree. Between Blake and Mason, how many interceptions and broken plays do they combine? A LOT. You don't get MVP for jut being average.

Look at it this way, at least we are playing a soft team on August 19th to work all that out........ :D:D:D Just kidding there Kicker.

"Anything is possible and don't worry, their positions have been filled with very talented athletes. The defense is very solid."

If they were that talented, they would of played the positions last year. Give me 2 names that can replace 11 int's and 1/2 the athleticism, then I'll call u a liar!

"Anything is possible and don't worry' date=' their positions have been filled with very talented athletes. The defense is very solid."

If they were that talented, they would of played the positions last year. Give me 2 names that can replace 11 int's and 1/2 the athleticism, then I'll call u a liar![/quote']

Dude, disgruntled?

Is that a drill you can teach us you learned at practice for WOS

That must be a Coach Hooks thing.

Now your assuming someone can throw it, someone can catch it, and someone has the presence of mind to avoid being knocked unconcious from the swarm of people who will be all over his tail end..... :D

Man, cain't wait until 1 day before the game..........lot's of adult conversation here..... :D

"Anything is possible and don't worry' date=' their positions have been filled with very talented athletes. The defense is very solid."

If they were that talented, they would of played the positions last year. Give me 2 names that can replace 11 int's and 1/2 the athleticism, then I'll call u a liar![/quote']

Where's the faith? Ever hear of moving players around? It worked last year and it will work again. Two players do not make a team.

Madman, I hope you're right. In a perfect world, I wish we could go one way with 22 kids, especially moving up to 4A. BUT, the fact of the matter is everyone makes light of how fast BH is growing and gaining kids. While this is true, we are NOT gaining athletes. Athletes (the boys) do not move to BH to play football for Don Price. In fact, we have lost a couple of possible studs (transfers)because of his reputation. People are moving here for the schools and a couple of other reasons we won't discuss. The bottom line is, in a nutshell, if BH wants to win in 4A they will have to play their best on both sides just like the schools with 1/2 their enrollment and pray for no injuries.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• We'll see. I don't trust us. 
    • Starting pitching has been shaky the last few weeks due to some injuries outside of Hagen Smith.  He goes tomorrow, so y’all should be fine 
    • Manchin may get it but any mention of the radical left that wanted to get rid of the filibuster and end almost 220 years of history because the Democrats are mad?  The House and Senate are obviously different legislative bodies with entirely different election processes and rules for a reason. The House can vote on laws with a simple majority vote. The Senate put rules in place that it would make it much tougher to pass laws. Laws should be difficult to pass. The Senate is often the holdup of the right and left. It takes 60 votes to break the filibuster so any law will almost certainly require agreement at least in part, from opposing sides of an issue. Because they can’t get laws passed, the radical left is like a baby having a tantrum and wants to change over 200 years of history and make it potentially ridiculously easy to pass laws. I have seen current poll maps and it is possible for the Republicans to sweep into complete power in November but by the tiniest margin. That would possibly mean that a single vote margin in both houses could enact what you might call the radical right laws. There would be nothing that the Democrats could do to stop any legislation whatsoever if the left (they are all radical, minus Manchin) got their filibuster rule changed.  That is where the current filibuster comes into play as any new law would require several Democrats to agree with the majority Republicans and vice versa.  Do you want the potential for your radical right to have free rein as the radical left wants by killing the filibuster or is the radical left just as (if not more) dangerous? Let’s see if we have a history in this area? Oh yeah, the Democrats changed the rules in the Senate to allow federal judges to not have to overcome the filibuster. Obama was not getting his federal judge nominations passed and being angry, they changed the rules instead of nominating more moderate justices. They were warned that it would come back to bite them. They didn’t care and chose the nuclear option to change the rules. Oops! Any guess how Trump got all of his Supreme Court nominees passed against strong Democrat opposition? The Democrats got rid of the filibuster for federal judges after another tantrum   So when you are so worried about the radical right, are you equally concerned in what the radical left is always doing by changing rules and history which were put into place just for situations like we are in? So while Manchin gets it, what about his other 50 colleagues (49 + Harris)?  What concerns you more, Abbott and Paxton or the Democrats who want to make it to where if the Republicans do take over, they can go wild… at least in your mind? 
    • MODS please remove that ISD twitter link! I had no idea it would copy the whole posting. I only highlighted the portion about the venue change. Sorry about that!
  • Topics