*PN-G vs. Katy Seven Lakes*/PN-G WINS GAME 1!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spikes leads off in top 7th, he's 1-2 for single. Spikes reaches on error, probably called a hit at home. I believe it's Reyenga up, can't understand, maybe HBP.

The fish Jalai is up with no outs, 2 on.  He SAc bunts, Harrington up 0-4 tonight but who cares. Flies out to RF. Reyenga is up, guess I was wrong earlier

Spikes leads off in top 7th, he's 1-2 for single. Spikes reaches on error, probably called a hit at home. I believe it's Reyenga up, can't understand, maybe HBP.

The fish Jalai is up with no outs, 2 on.  He SAc bunts, Harrington up 0-4 tonight but who cares. Flies out to RF. Reyenga is up, guess I was wrong earlier

No way.. ;) ;) ;)

Guest etbu

Was not much of a game but PNG took care of business tonight. Lighting Eagle, StrosBros and JDawg good hanging out with you guys. I thought LCM could the ball PNG is not bad either and have some big kids. Harrington had a nasty bender working tonight. SevenLakes has a good young team and will be strong next year.

I got back around 9:25 stayed for 4 innings. I have to say that COULDN'T have been Seven Lakes number one, BP fast ball with a curve ball he didn't control very well. Indians had opportunities to score more. Not knocking on the kid from Katy just not the kind of guy you would usually see in game 1 of a playoff series, Spartans will probably throw no. 1 in game 2.

thats what they said on the radio, that the number 1 will throw friday in the first game so we need a huge game out of benoit or todd....if i had to say, benoit would throw because he has been lights out the past few and the opposite from todd, but regardless, the boys will get it done friday,,,,go get em!!!!

I got back around 9:25 stayed for 4 innings. I have to say that COULDN'T have been Seven Lakes number one, BP fast ball with a curve ball he didn't control very well. Indians had opportunities to score more. Not knocking on the kid from Katy just not the kind of guy you would usually see in game 1 of a playoff series, Spartans will probably throw no. 1 in game 2.

Will you show some video tonight?

Harrington, Tribe roll in Game 1

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

NEW CANEY — It is doubtful that Port Neches-Groves' Eric Harrington is a prophet or the son of a prophet, but he is a very good pitcher with incredible instincts.

On Tuesday, Harrington joked with coaches in the principal's office that he would need just 85 pitches to beat Katy Seven Lakes in Game 1 on Wednesday night at Adam Dunn Field.

Harrington was exactly right. The senior ace struck out Derek Draper in the bottom of the seventh to increase his pitch count to 85 and end the ball game at 5-0 in favor of the Tribe.

With the win, PN-G improves to 22-5 on the year and will be back in action at 5 p.m. on Friday for Game 2 in New Caney. If it is necessary, Game 3 will follow Game 2.

But if Game 2 comes as easy as Game 1 did, the Indians will be making arrangements for round four of the Class 4A baseball playoffs.

Harrington said he knew he had 12 pitches to work with going into the seventh inning, but didn't think much of it until he had Draper down 0-2 and sitting at 83.

"I looked over at coach and he just smiled and said no way," Harrington added.

Draper fouled the next pitch off to give Harrington 84. Then the senior gave Draper the ole "Uncle Charlie" to get his number and his ninth strikeout of the ball game.

Harrington, who induced a ground ball for the first out in the seventh and struck out Jake Pinchback for the second out, also improved his record to 8-0 on the season.

"He's just a real bulldog on the mound," said PN-G head coach Jay Stone. "He's the ultimate competitor and he really challenges himself every time he steps on the field."

The only mark against Harrington on Wednesday night was his 0-for-5 performance at the plate. His batting line was hardly an issue, however, as PN-G draped 10 hits all over the field to pick up five runs.

Four of the five runs came in the third inning off Katy's Nathan LeBlanc. LeBlanc started and got the loss, tossing three innings while giving up five runs on six hits. He also walked four.

Running for catcher Jon Carnahan, who drew a walk with nobody out in the third, Nathan Minshew advanced to third on a hit by Kane Beniot. Then, with one out and the bases loaded, Jacob Lynch reached first on an error that sent Minshew home, giving the Tribe a 2-0 advantage.

Benoit and Mitchell Todd, who walked, both scored off a single from Jerin Spikes. Chris Sweetenham then singled to drive in Lynch for the Indians fourth run of the inning and fifth run of the game.

Lynch also scored the Tribe's first run. He started the second inning off with a single, moved to second on after Spikes was plunked by a pitch, went to third on a sacrifice bunt from Sweetenham and then a sacrifice fly from Amir Jalali sent Lynch home for a 1-0 lead.

The Indians did leave 10 runners on base, which left Stone in doubt about relieving Harrington early.

"We definitely hit the ball well," Stone said. "I thought we left too many runs out there. We left too many on base. I've seen this team (Seven Lakes) hit the ball and I know they are capable of scoring five runs in an inning."

Stone said with that kind of offensive threat, a 5-0 lead wasn't enough of a cushion to sit his ace.

"He will be fine," Stone said about Harrington. "We have a day off and he only threw 85 pitches, so we know we can get two or three innings out of him if we had to on Friday. He's that kind of pitcher."

Stone added that his club has seven capable arms in waiting, but did not know who would get the ball to start Game 2.

Stone also said he knows the Spartans still have plenty of arms as well.

"I don't think we've seen their best," he said. "And they lost their first game last week and came back strong in Game 2 and 3. I don't think we saw either of their top-two guys to tell you the truth."

Stone said Zach Voss is probably the Spartans best pitcher. He is 7-1 on the year but played first base on Wednesday.

Voss was also one of two players to record a hit off Harrington. With two outs in the first inning, Voss squirted a single past Todd at second base. Then Kyle Bacak picked up Seven Lakes' second and final hit of the game when he singled to lead off the second inning.

Harrington hit one batter in the sixth inning and an error in the fourth allowed another runner to reach base. Aside from that, Katy only managed six base runners for the contest. Four of the six were left stranded.

About the importance of winning Game 1, Stone said he would know how important Game 1 was after Game 2 on Friday.

"It's always important to get a win," Stone said. "We know it's an advantage but we know it only means so much. We know what this team did last week, so we have to come out on Friday and continue to hit the ball and play good defense.

"Overall, I am really pleased with our performance tonight. I would have liked to scored a few more runs but I am pleased."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed