STJFL

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STJFL, I was just stating my opinion about 7 being too young for tackle. I lived in Houston and my son played at 6 years old over there and it was flag. It doesn't matter, but it was my opinion. I think your league is a good organization, but hopefully your not getting ticked at me because I said 7 is too young? Anyways hope your league has a good and injury free year.

Man, I watched a few flag games a couple of years ago with the 5-6 yr olds. From what I saw, the kids are much better of with a helmet and pads on. That freakin level is rough. I watched one game where the team (I think it was BC) ran the Power-I the entire game and parents were getting mad because their kids were coming off the field with busted noses and bloody lips. I remember thinking to myself "what the hell you think is going to happen with the Power-I in a flag football game?". They should have been mad at their coach, not the other team. Anyway, it was very rough.

• 3 weeks later...

My son got screwed been playing for 4 years and had to call the other day to find out my son is an alternate, called to get my $210.00 back. Does anybody know of the other MC pop warner team? my son is really upset he wanted to be back with his friends from last year and he really loves the game

Did you register on time ? I know there was a huge turnout of kids and not enough coaches. The president made numerous calls for coaching volunteers and had no takers. If some coaches step up, we may be able to field another team. You have to get each kid ten plays per game and if the numbers are too large, then it is almost impossible. Good Luck, I hate to see any kid that wants to play, not be able to...

Did you register on time ? I know there was a huge turnout of kids and not enough coaches. The president made numerous calls for coaching volunteers and had no takers. If some coaches step up, we may be able to field another team. You have to get each kid ten plays per game and if the numbers are too large, then it is almost impossible. Good Luck, I hate to see any kid that wants to play, not be able to...

We had this issue in Pinto this year (OYBS).  We were 2 coaches short, found 1 at tryouts.  Instead of turning down 12 kids we had a board member draft for the team without a coach.  The VP then called all of the parents of that team and scheduled a practice.  He then showed up with the gear bag and basically told them "someone has to coach this team" and left.  A couple of dads then stepped up. 

My point is:  There are other ways to handle this than just turning kids away.

We had this issue in Pinto this year (OYBS).  We were 2 coaches short, found 1 at tryouts.  Instead of turning down 12 kids we had a board member draft for the team without a coach.  The VP then called all of the parents of that team and scheduled a practice.  He then showed up with the gear bag and basically told them "someone has to coach this team" and left.  A couple of dads then stepped up. 

Man it sounds like yall had a very smart VP. There should be more like him!

i put in the paperwork to coach and never got called, like i said "I" had to call to find out he was a alternate. Hes hurt because he played starting defense last year and thought he would be on  a team again. i was one of the first people in line the first day of registration cuase i know sometimes their is a waiting list esp with Jr tackle football.The main thing that really irritates me is a kid that registered 2 week after my son is on a team, the guy i talked to said they had no way to tell who registerd first. From what i understand is the league is in kaos and alot of people from the board last year quit.

i put in the paperwork to coach and never got called, like i said "I" had to call to find out he was a alternate. Hes hurt because he played starting defense last year and thought he would be on  a team again. i was one of the first people in line the first day of registration cuase i know sometimes their is a waiting list esp with Jr tackle football.The main thing that really irritates me is a kid that registered 2 week after my son is on a team, the guy i talked to said they had no way to tell who registerd first. From what i understand is the league is in kaos and alot of people from the board last year quit.

I know this probably wont work and against some type of rule..BUT bring him to Vidor and he will get to play football.there are two junior teams and your son will be able to play football.There's gotta be another way then to turn kids away.

I heard he called a friend from Vidor and he gave him some advice... ;D

Yeah....but he got beat the last game of the season!!!! :o

You know I had to do that.

I heard he called a friend from Vidor and he gave him some advice... ;D

Man, I knew he didn't think of that by himself.

Yeah....but he got beat the last game of the season!!!! :oYou know I had to do that.

"Tom" Dallas got beat???? :o :o :o  :'(

Yeah....but he got beat the last game of the season!!!! :oYou know I had to do that.

"Tom" Dallas got beat???? :o :o :o   :'(

It was classic...wasn't even close.

What can I say...he got out coached. :D :D

Kind of like you did in the World Series?????????????????

Mine worked...yours didn't...one of the slowest kids steals home and doesn't even have to slide...Genius

Yours didn't.  I didn't tell him to bunt...you did...smart move.

Mine worked...yours didn't...one of the slowest kids steals home and doesn't even have to slide...Genius

Yours didn't.  I didn't tell him to bunt...you did...smart move.

I didn't tell him to bunt. My coaches were supposed to tell him to take. That steal of home was geinus. I will give you credit for that.

WE STARTED OUT AT 4 TIMES A WEEK FOR 3 HRS UNTIL SCHOOL STARTED THEN IT WAS 3 X WEEK FOR 3 HRS DEPENDS ON THE COACH, DONT WORRY WHEN THEY GET TO HIT FOR THE FIRST TIME ITS FUN AND THE TIME FLYS BY

BTW DEPEND ON WHERE YOU ARE TOO AS TO PRACTICE

Please tell me you were joking about practicing 3 hours per day.  The UIL limits high schools to 8 hours of practice per week once school starts.  Do you really think elementary school kids should practice more than high school players?

No all joking aside the kids esp moving up to the tackle teams have alot to learn,esp so they dont get hurt. plus they have to learn plays.

BTW the league just called tonight an my sons on a team hes gotta alot of making up to do, already missed 1 week of practice, hes back on the PNG white team where he was last year and we went to the playoffs, hes happy but knows he will have to show the coaches something, good thing ive been keeping him practicing

STJFL has rules concerning the amount of practice that can be done.

See below

"14. You may not begin practice prior to Monday the week of August 1st of the football season.  Every participant must complete 8 hours of conditioning practice with no contact between players until the 8 hours has been met.  The first 8 hours will consist of 4 2 hour days.  There shall be no more that 10 hours of practice per week prior to the first game of the season.  The first game of the season will be played on the first Saturday after 28 days of practice.  After the first game a team will only be allowed to practice 6 hours or less per week."

The kids are taken care of.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder