Sampere rewarded for his doggedness in overcoming injury

Sampere rewarded for his doggedness in overcoming injury

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

It has been a long road for Ryan Sampere this school year. He has gone from the starting quarterback, who led his Nederland Bulldogs to an improbable 26-14 lead over Brenham (including four touchdowns), to having a severely broken ankle that required surgery, pins and four months of rehabilitation.

Breaking his ankle two minutes shy of the fourth quarter in the first game of the 2007 football season, wasn't the dream Sampere had for his final year as a high school athlete; but after signing to play college baseball with Galveston College on Monday afternoon, some dreams have come true for the right-handed pitcher, third baseman.

"It was tough," he said. "It took a long time to recover and it was tough not being able to play football. I've always loved both sports. Then I started worrying if I would even be ready for the start of baseball season."

Sampere said he just stopped thinking about it, went 100 percent and things fell in place.

"Everything is fine now and I'm ready to play at the next level," he said. "It was a lot of hard work but it's all better now."

Sampere has played with the varsity since his sophomore season. This year, he has a .337 batting average and has posted a 3-2 pitching record with two saves and an ERA under 3.50.

Sampere also has the Bulldogs in the middle of the District 22-4A playoff hunt.

He picked up both of his saves last week in crucial games. The first came in a 5-4 win over Central. The second save came against the first place Port Neches-Groves Indians.

Nederland beat PN-G 6-3 to improve to 6-4 in league play and is just one game behind the third place Little Cypress-Mauriceville Battlin' Bears.

"He's had an outstanding career here," said head baseball coach Cody Robbins. "He has been a big contributor every year but to think what he has had to come back from this year — and he is having a great senior year — we're just really proud of him.

"He has accomplished a lot. I'm just really proud that he is going to get that chance to play at the next level. A lot of kids don't get that opportunity, but for a kid who has had to battle back from that kind of injury, it's really good for him."

Athletic Director and head football coach Larry Neumann said the culmination from the night Sampere helped lead Nederland to a 29-28 victory over Brenham until now, “is just a tremendous tribute to his hard work and the kind of young man he is.

"I know this is something that will stay with him for the rest of his life and the experience he has gone through to get to this point, I know all that is going to stay with him. Overcoming it all is just a great achievement for him.

"I'm really happy he is getting the opportunity to play college ball."

Galveston College is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association and plays in the Region XIV conference.

:D Ok, I know I am his mother but I am so proud of Ryan and his accomplishments, this has been a tough school year with the broken ankle and this was our light at the end of a dark tunnel.  That boy wanted to be QB for the Bulldogs since his sophomore year and the rug was pulled out from beneath him.  Ryan, here's your chance boy, go after your dreams.  I love you with all my heart and I am so proud of you.  You deserve this chance to play college ball and let's face it, baseball is your sport.  Finish strong, Go Bulldogs!

love,

MOM

:D Ok, I know I am his mother but I am so proud of Ryan and his accomplishments, this has been a tough school year with the broken ankle and this was our light at the end of a dark tunnel.  That boy wanted to be QB for the Bulldogs since his sophomore year and the rug was pulled out from beneath him.  Ryan, here's your chance boy, go after your dreams.  I love you with all my heart and I am so proud of you.  You deserve this chance to play college ball and let's face it, baseball is your sport.  Finish strong, Go Bulldogs!

love,

MOM

And you should be proud...very proud. Young man has overcome alot of adversity. Best of luck @ Galveston.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124