* Russell McDaniel New Deweyville HC!!!!*

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDaniel ready to lead Pirate charges

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — Ready to make a his mark in a new part of Texas, Russell McDaniel is excited to guide the Deweyville athletic program.

McDaniel was recently named the Athletic Director and head football coach at Deweyville High School this past week and he’s ready to get the ball rolling. He will replace Dwight Bickham, who was the AD the last three seasons. Bickham stepped down to spend more time with his family.

“I’m so excited to be here,†said McDaniel. “Everyone has been so friendly and it looks to be a tremendous environment with tremendous kids to work with it. I love the small-school atmosphere. I always have and Deweyville is an ideal place for me to be.â€

McDaniel, 42, was the AD at New Diana High School the last six seasons. During that span, the Eagles played in a tough district and posted a 35-28 record, including three playoff trips. The Eagles’ best mark under McDaniel came in 2005 when they went 9-2.

McDaniel has been involved in coaching for 19 years and spent 13 years honing his skills at Kaufman High School as well.

“New Diana was a teriffic place to coach,†said McDaniel, who graduated from Lubbock Monterey High School and Southeatern Oklahoma State. “My family and I will always feel like part of the family there. We felt like it was time for a change. Our son graduated last year and my wife and I kinda had empty-nest syndrome and we wanted to experience something new but we wanted to remain in a small-school atmosphere and Deweyville was perfect for us.â€

McDaniel and his wife Kim have a daughter Kim that is playing college basketball at a small college in Jackson, Miss. Their son Terry (6-7, 330) will be playing football at Texas Tech University as a freshman.

One of the first things that impressed McDaniel on his first visit to Pirate Country were the facilities and the almost brand new high school and athletic complex.

“The facilities are really top-notch,†said McDaniel. “All of the kids can take a lot of pride in that. I know it took a lot of effort from a lot of folks. We did the same kind of thing in New Diana with new baseball and softball fields not too long ago. The Deweyville community should be very proud of the facilities their kids can take advantage of.â€

McDaniel is ready to rally around all of the sports teams.

“At New Diana, the kids were very competitive in everything,†said McDaniel. “We had one of the better 2A baseball programs around. I really would love for the Pirates to be strong in everything and the kids can play anything they want to play.â€

The Pirates were extremely competitive on the gridiron in Bickham’s three-year stint. Deweyville went 18-13 during that span and made the playoffs as the third-place unit in both 2005 and 2006 out of District 24-2A. It had been since 1996 since the program had made the postseason. The Pirates slipped to 4-6 last season, 0-6 in 24-2A plays. Deweyville was competitive in district play and lost several close 24-2A affairs.

“Coach Bickham did a wonderful job to get the football program back on track,†McDaniel said. “The district is so competitive so that says a lot about the competitiveness of the kids. I’m looking forward to working wit˙ all of them.â€

Deweyville remains the smallest “kid†on the block in 24-2A in a district that features schools like Anahuac, Buna, Hardin and Kountze that have bounced from the 3A to the 2A ranks in recent years.

“That whole number thing doesn’t bother me a whole lot,†McDaniel said. “When I was at Kaufman (now a 3A school), we were 4A and playing state-caliber teams like Ennis and Corsicana every year and we competed very well. It doesn’t bother me whether you suit up 60 or suit up 25, you’re only putting 11 out there at a time and I’ve seen plenty of smaller schools have success against larger ones.â€

McDaniel feels the Pirates can compete very well in 24-2A.

“In recent years, it seems like East Chambers has been the top dogs, but everyone else has been pretty even,†said McDaniel. “I know Southeast Texas has an excellent brand of football and I’m glad I’ll have a chance to see what it’s all about.â€

McDaniel can’t wait to get to those warm das in August.

“The only thing I’m really getting use to is the humidity,†said McDaniel. “It’s funny, you take a shower and when you get out, you’re already sweating again and drying off. I’m really excited about being here and getting to know everyone as fast as possible. It feels like I’m getting here a little late, so I would like to meet as many folks as I can. It’s an opportunity I’m definitely looking forward too.â€

Yea I agree the football coach should always be the AD no doubt about it.All I'm saying is how about for baseball and basketball why not find a good coach that would stay awhile and give him  a chance to get a program established.I'm sure the new coach is a great guy and coach.But the first thing the school board does is let the new coach bring in his new staff and they usually have to stick one of them in basketball and baseball that doesn't know anything about it.I love Dville wish it nothing but the best.

I don't know of any AD that is going to stick someone in a sport who is unknowledgeable about that sport.  Schools advertise for head coaches in their respective sports. 

As for bringing a staff along with you, an AD should be able to bring who he chooses, within reason.  Its sort of like when the county gets a new sheriff, he usually brings along a new chief deputy, etc...

I been on this old river bank since that Lucky Gamble fellow jumped off the train in these parts and will be here long after this McDaniel fellow leaves town.  The school - supt. & board - ain't done much right since Gamble concerning football.  Comeaux was the closest they come.  McDaniel will probably do the best he can but it don't change the fact he's hired because of the Red Raider connection after getting run off at New Diana.  As far Bickham, people don't talk about the fact that he coached them DOWN.  That group that graduated in 07 beat everyone's tail in 7th grade, 8th grade, and as freshmen on JV - including the mighty East Chambers Pirates.  Then they held their own as sophomores against varsity competition.  Then Bickham comes and they finish third two years - Comeaux would have at least gotten second out of that bunch.  But now since Bickham gets there they go down to third.  Then this year we see how great a coach Mr. B was with his wonderful district record.  They should have gave it to Pachuca, he has givien them two great years and if they couldn't see what a fine coach and man he was in that time then they don't need to be in their positions.  I agree with SteelerCzy, come election time some NEW folks need to be in charge and that goes for MR. RED RAIDER, too, I could tell you some stories on that one but it can wait for another thread.  Wish this McDaniel fellow the best since he is here.

You don't have a clue about coaching Old Pirate.  You've got to be kidding or you must be the "one" in the village that DP#1 Fan talks about. 

You know the old saying, "you can't please all the people all the time".  This kind of thing happens all the time, there will always be someone to complain about who gets hired no matter what his qualifications are.  Heck, Jimmy Johnson himself could get hired at Deweyville and there would be some joker complaining because he doesn't like a coach with great hair!  LOL  And this "Red Raider" connection!  Come on!

• 1 month later...

Im just glad they didnt pick Hodges lol And just for yall ppl that think that BASKETBALL is life in Kountze you might wanna re think that over the next couple years!! Yea Kountze is getting noticed in more than just basketball, so I think its a great place for hodges!! I just saw this post or i wouldve posted this way back when hodges was in the conversation for the job... Good luck this year Pirates:) Your gonna need it:)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• Hold them accountable? Like here in Texas where we have, by any definition, the most conservative Speaker that we’ve ever had. He pushed through an abortion ban and border security measures, reduced school taxes, etc… and the people who put him in office are firing him for not being MAGA enough.    Every third commercial on TV is Trump (or somebody who supports Trump) calling Phelan a RINO and supporting an impotent replacement for the most powerful person in the House.    It’s 100% MAGA, and it’s 12000% stupid.    “oh, he didn’t do those things by himself” says everyone who doesn’t understand parliamentary procedure. 
    • @bullets13 not sure why it double posted the topic.. delete this one plz sir
    • Me personally I respect posters like @bullets13 @CardinalBacker they vote for a guy and can call out others in the party or the direction a party can be headed.... others on here fall "lockstep" with whatever happens and defend by all means is the mantra it seems... no need to call out names, it's probably you if your mad at this statement 🤣 
    • I recall prior to midterms the R's and the "red wave" would get America "back on track" etc.... they would end this and stop Biden from that blah blah blah, so what's the problem? It looks like a circus show from both sides and whoever can sit or stand with a straight face and defend it is a 🤡! Desantis would've been a slam dunk for the R's and he possibly would've got my vote... now they pick a guy who lost the popular vote twice lol (yeah I know that means nothing in grand scheme of things).. point being is the dude is highly unlikeable (I also know this doesn't matter) 👈🏾 just getting ahead of the deflectors... personally I hope the clown gets in there so ppl can see how ultra right the clown is trying to push America for... IF he wins in November you can bet he will be on a rampage for 4 years getting lil if anything done, will most likely spend his term for the same thing some of yall complain about daily, going after his opponents... but hey the D's do it right? So yeah it's cool if we do it SMH We're supposed to vote on policies etc while at the same time the person you vote for that made promises to change or fix this and that complains about his predecessor being the issue! It's all a joke What have R's done that's good for America since midterms?  What have D's done? And please leave your feelings out of this and be truthful if possible!
    • I recall prior to midterms the R's and the "red wave" would get America "back on track" etc.... they would end this and stop Biden from that blah blah blah, so what's the problem? It looks like a circus show from both sides and whoever can sit or stand with a straight face and defend it is a 🤡! Desantis would've been a slam dunk for the R's and he possibly would've got my vote... now they pick a guy who lost the popular vote twice lol (yeah I know that means nothing in grand scheme of things).. point being is the dude is highly unlikeable (I also know this doesn't matter) 👈🏾 just getting ahead of the deflectors... personally I hope the clown gets in there so ppl can see how ultra right the clown is trying to push America for... IF he wins in November you can bet he will be on a rampage for 4 years getting lil if anything done, will most likely spend his term for the same thing some of yall complain about daily, going after his opponents... but hey the D's do it right? So yeah it's cool if we do it SMH We're supposed to vote on policies etc while at the same time the person you vote for that made promises to change or fix this and that complains about his predecessor being the issue! It's all a joke What have R's done that's good for America since midterms?  What have D's done? And please leave your feelings out of this and be truthful if possible!
  • Topics