*PN-G vs. Vidor/4-3 Vidor Wins/Comments*

I saw the replay...  Looks like a good call... What I don't understand is, a ground ball to short, he throws to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, why wasn't the first baseman already on the bag.....  I guess that's the blue's fault also.. ???

You are exactly right. He should have been in position on the bag. It was a perfect double play ball. If he would have been in the right place there would have been no controversy. PNG had numerous chances with runners in scoring position after the controversy and did not deliver. The one thing I don't understand is how they allowed that one run to score after the umps made the initial out call. PNG left the field thinking the inning was over. While the umps consulted they let the player on second come around and score. They almost allowed the runner who was clearly out at second score too. All I can say is if you don't like the quality of the umpiring and you think you can do a better job sign up. There is a big shortage of people who are willing to umpire just because of the abuse they have to take if they miss a call. I am not perfect and I suspect neither are any of you.

The venom that was spewing forth from the mouth of some of the PNG fans was childish and way out of line. That one particular women on the PNG side should have been asked to leave in my opinion. The things she said were downright despicable.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackflag

I normally don't get embarrassed easily but I couldn't help but to feel that way last night. I'm not even from Port Neches and I was so embarrassed for some (not all) of the PNG fans for the way they were acting :-[.  That was ridiculous for adults to act like that :-[. I wish I had their fans on Video for all to see.

** Both teams played a great game !! My hats off to all the young men involved in this contest .

I agree on the call at first base. I think Spikes was out of position and off the base. They SHOULD NOT have let that run score from second after the teams left the field. Two things in closing: Some of our (PN-G) fans were acting foolishly, BUT if Vidor fans had those calls go against them at Home, there would have been an all out riot !!!! There's no denying that... And second, I personally saw the ump ask Green to have the press box guy turn the sound down, followed by Green motioning to him. No big deal, but it happened  ;)

I agree on the call at first base. I think Spikes was out of position and off the base. They SHOULD NOT have let that run score from second after the teams left the field. Two things in closing: Some of our (PN-G) fans were acting foolishly, BUT if Vidor fans had those calls go against them at Home, there would have been an all out riot !!!! There's no denying that... And second, I personally saw the ump ask Green to have the press box guy turn the sound down, followed by Green motioning to him. No big deal, but it happened  ;)

I hate to point out the obvious, but I have seen the Adult PNG fans wear "war paint" and Indian headdresses to the Astrodome and Reliant Park.  I doubt that anyone will notice "foolish" behavior that occurs East of the Trinty ... ;D ;D ;D  Got to love that PNG fan support.... ;)

You can say that the Vidor fans would have reacted badly if the calls went against them. You are probably right. But you can't justify bad behavior just because someone else would have done the same thing. Violent behavior by sports fans is increasingly becoming a problem. There have been cases of High School games being played with no fans allowed to watch because of the threat of violence. Granted no physical violence occurred last night. But the type of verbal abuse that was going on made it a possibility. How can we expect our kids to be civil with each other when the adults can't.

Can't comment on the game other than it looks as if it were a good one. I will comment on the umpire asking for help, I wish this would happen more, the first base Ump came to the plate umpire to see if he had a better view on wether he pulled his foot....plain and simple. Like I said this should happen more BUT it don't, I have seen many games where the ump was out of position, made the wrong call and refused to ask for help, in this case the 1st base Ump clearly asked for help immediatly. In my yrs I have ragged the Umps in more than a few occassions BUT I also give praise when its deserved and IMO the Ump asking for help clearly shows he wanted to get the call rite and what more can you ask for. Good job BLUE....

The first base coach can appeal to the umpire at first base that he pulled his foot. If the field umpire feels like it is justifiable he can then go to the homeplate umpire and ask for help on the call it is standard practice and happens from T-ball to the majors.

It was a very good game that had a few bang-bang plays that could have gone either way and both "Teams" not fans were very classy about it. Parents can also learn from their kids sometimes.

You are correct up to a point, a coach can appeal all he wants BUT the umpire that made the call don't have to ask for help...period. In this case the umpire that made the call went imediatly to the home plate umpire before any appeal was made and this IMO is good umpireing and I wish I could see more of that. On another post it was said one ump overruled another, this was not the case here, he asked for help. BTW NO umpire can over rule another on ANY judgement call. 

Guest bleed orange

PNG complaining about the call did not bother me. That's part of any sport. Plus I never heard them. But I did hear two fans yelling at the press box because of the music. That to me was uncalled for. Can you say "Anger Management". ;D

Looks like this is now our district to loose.  Hester will dominate Ozen this Friday I am sure and Robi will be on schedule to lock down LCM. This would complete a perfect 1st half for the pirates.  People said last years team was the best in the history of the school.  Looks like the '08 version may even be a little better.

WOW - The parents in the stands need to GROW UP!  I can't believe the lady with the loud, obnoxious voice was not asked by her own fellow fans to please get a grip and finally shut her trap.  Maybe that is why they played the music so loud!  :-[

I've heard her for several years now and each season there is more trash spewing from her mouth.  Look lady, using the term loosely, for your son(s) sake, try to dig deep inside and find a little class.  You, in particular, are giving the entire Tribe a nasty reputation. 

ps- No, not a Vidorian here, but at the game because of the closely matched talent.  One more note - other communities want to give Vidor a bad rap for being trashy???  No matter what side of the river you live on, white trash floats.  :o

I was the Channel 6 photographer who stayed for the game. I love the comments by Sticky... "my, my, my"... that's about all I can say as well.

Even though all 10PM sports casts pointed out the bang bang - foot off the bag - appeal play at first, that was not the game itself. Reviewing all of these comments, one PNG supporter, parent, die hard said it best... runners left in scoring position, a dropped fly ball in left, what looked to me like a high breaking pitch followed up by a "ive got to get ahead of this batter" fastball in the 9th was the reason Vidor came back.

I edited the video in the link below. It's something I look forward to doing probably every Tuesday from here on out, and maybe on a few Fridays as well. The video, as well I could, depicts the great pitching efforts on both sides, and clutch performances by the TEAMS.

This is the hidden content, please
   - - (enjoy the video, 7mins 30secs)

I'll end by saying I can't wait for the game at PN-G. I hope both starters will get to faceoff once again. Check out Harrington's gas in the 8TH INNING!

Also congrats to young Trae Hester. His pops was pumped.

wow,  first of all what a game..........

Things about the video replay 1)  You can make the guy look out and you can make the guy look safe depending on when you pause.  2)From the angle of the video, as the catch was made the first basemans foot appears to be side by side with the inside part of the bag. (still cant say he was touching or not....the angle....looks like he was)  3)He was not there late the throw took him towards rightfield.  4)After the catch he steps off giving the appearance that he was trying to re-toe the bag.....my opinion he was keeping balance after the throw took him in that direction. 5) The first base coach rightfully asked for an appeal and the ump threw his hands up.....stopping play.......and granted the request of the first base coach.

Things the umps did get wrong!!   There is no way the runner was on home plate when time was called.   that would be saying he made it from second base to the plate faster then the guy made it from home to first.......not going to happen I don't care about the lead at second.  Should have been two out and  runners on first and third..... at best...or worse depending on the side your on....lol

**runner should not have been called safe at home.  1) a third out call was made 2) time was stopped by the first base umpire 3) the runner is not "Carl Lewis".......lol

One play never costs anyone the ball game...........TCB early and plays wont haunt you later.........

WOW!!!!  Video shows a whole different story Pirates!!.  Cant say if the runner at first was out or not, but the run deffinately should not have scored.  Blues you blew this one big time.  Pirates you know you were given that run.  Game might have ended before the extra innings.  That's one thing about replays....you always get to see the real story, and not the way it was called.  Good luck, cause you didn't earn this one.

I really think that Vidor, PN-G, and LC-M will all be sitting with one loss at the end of the first half of district play. I think these are your playoff teams, and there will be a dogfight for the championship. Good Luck. ;)

Sorry I don't think this will happen.  All Vidor has left is Ozen Friday with Hester on the mound.  Then Tuesday LCM at home with Robi on the mound.  LCM struggled versus the righty Todd from PNG.  I would have to say if that is any thing to go off of Robi should have no problem.  That would make us undefeated at the end of the first half.

I really think that Vidor, PN-G, and LC-M will all be sitting with one loss at the end of the first half of district play. I think these are your playoff teams, and there will be a dogfight for the championship. Good Luck. ;)

Sorry I don't think this will happen.  All Vidor has left is Ozen Friday with Hester on the mound.  Then Tuesday LCM at home with Robi on the mound.  LCM struggled versus the righty Todd from PNG.  I would have to say if that is any thing to go off of Robi should have no problem.  That would make us undefeated at the end of the first half.

The bears will give yall a run for yalls money.

Dont get to cockey because your undefeated now.

You might wont to worry about ozen before lcm cause ozen can be as good as they want to be. And if lott is throwing it wont be a cake walk.

Just watched the video.  Call could go either way, but I am guessing that the home plate ump got a good look.  Those guys don't usually make that call unless they are pretty sure.  I don't know why they let the second runner score, but it didn't affect the outcome.  Poor left fielder must be sick.  Looked like a routine play.

Guest vpirate

WOW!!!!   Video shows a whole different story Pirates!!.  Cant say if the runner at first was out or not, but the run deffinately should not have scored.  Blues you blew this one big time.  Pirates you know you were given that run.  Game might have ended before the extra innings.  That's one thing about replays....you always get to see the real story, and not the way it was called.  Good luck, cause you didn't earn this one.

That was the first of three runs in the inning, so that run scores either way..  I guess we did earn it!!

While everyone is talking about the play at first that people think went vidors way it was close and could have been called either way.There was also a play that went PNGS way at first that no one is talking about and that run from png scored.It occured when a ground ball was hit to third and the first baseman was pulled off the bag but tagged the runner on the way bye he was clearly out but was called safe.Green argued this call if you remember but the call stood and the runner ended up scoring.Close calls in games usually have a way of working themselves out.

Congrats Pirates on a big win

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami