***State Baseball Rankings***

Texas high school baseball poll

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — The Texas high school baseball poll for March 20, as determined by the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association.

Class 5A

1. Alvin 19-1, 2. El Paso Socorro 20-0, 3. Humble Atascocita 18-2, 4. Plano West 14-1, 5. Georgetown 14-5, 6. Mission Sharyland 18-1-1, 7. San Antonio Reagan 16-2, 8. Coppell 14-3, 9. Rowlett 14-0-2, 10. Arlington Martin 15-3-1

Class 4A

1. Corpus Christi Moody 15-2, 2. New Braunfels Canyon 18-1, 3. Mesquite Poteet 13-3, 4. Highland Park 17-3, 5. Corpus Christi Calallen 18-1, 6. Brenham 14-4, 7. Denton Ryan 13-2, 8. Barbers Hill 13-3, 9. Waxahachie 13-2, 10. Port Neches Groves 11-3

Class 3A

1. Medina Valley 18-1, 2. Cuero 16-2, 3. Bridge City 14-3, 4. Jasper 14-3, 5. Sinton 13-5, 6. Spring Hill 14-1, 7. Snyder 15-4, 8. Prosper 11-2, 9. Hutto 11-1, 10. Kennedale 11-1

Class 2A

1. Brock 11-1, 2. Salado 13-3, 3. Central Heights 13-4, 4. Hallettsville 11-2, 5. Hughes Springs 12-1, 6. Gunter 14-3, 7. Harleton 9-2, 8. Holliday 10-1-1, 9. Abernathy 14-3, 10. Rogers 14-3

Class 1A

1. Archer City 10-4-1, 2. New Deal 9-3, 3. Grapeland 9-4, 4. Thorndale 1-1, 5. Overton 9-2, 6. Fayetteville 8-2, 7. Dawson 7-1, 8. Maud 8-1, 9. Trenton 8-4, 10. Cross Roads 9-2

___

March 20, 2008 - 5:32 p.m. Copyright 2008, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Nice to see PNG on the list.  But the real list that matters at the moment is District Standings 4-0.  If the Indians take one game at a time, correct the errors, and stay motivated, they should finish in the top three teams to advance.

The only thing more incredible than PGN making the list is the story of Easter, with Jesus being ressurected from the grave.  If anyone can pick PNG as a top 12 team in the state, t  Heck, as much as you don't want to admit it, Vidor and LCM are better teams.  Wake up pollsters, this is a East of the Trinity Team!

If PNG has no errors, hit homers, stay "motivated" and pray, they still get smoked in the first round.

Good luck indians.......LOL

Nice to see PNG on the list.  But the real list that matters at the moment is District Standings 4-0.  If the Indians take one game at a time, correct the errors, and stay motivated, they should finish in the top three teams to advance.

The only thing more incredible than PGN making the list is the story of Easter, with Jesus being ressurected from the grave.  If anyone can pick PNG as a top 12 team in the state, t  Heck, as much as you don't want to admit it, Vidor and LCM are better teams.  Wake up pollsters, this is a East of the Trinity Team!

If PNG has no errors, hit homers, stay "motivated" and pray, they still get smoked in the first round.

LOL

Come on tell us how you really feel!  ;D

Well, the neat thing about PNG is that they don't trash talk.  They play together as a team and don't have to resort to trash talking.  Let's take one game at a time aand see if PNG derserves the top ten.  Three seniors have signed or will shortly sign with colleges, so they are apparently good enough for the college coaches.  Again, lets let the games speak for themselves. 

I think a Tournament Championship at Westbrook (including a win over LC Barbe without your number one on the mound) and a win over LCM without your number one on the mound.  Coupled with a 11-3 record is deserving of some recognition.  Which is all these polls are.  Simply to honor the teams who are playing well now.

I think a Tournament Championship at Westbrook (including a win over LC Barbe without your number one on the mound) and a win over LCM without your number one on the mound.  Coupled with a 11-3 record is deserving of some recognition.  Which is all these polls are.  Simply to honor the teams who are playing well now.

As a BH fan, I believe PHG belongs their also.   I hope we don't have to play them unless its the regional finals.

As a BH fan, I believe PHG belongs their also.   I hope we don't have to play them unless its the regional finals.

I agree..PNG is legit. Harrington is capable of beating anybody.

Sounds like someones a little jealous of PNG.  PNG has a great team and great pitching they don't need to stay "motivated"  they already are. 

Guest png2012

png is capable of beating anyone.

png will make it to the playoffs and hopefully go past the first round.

These are the latest State Rankings!

With the win over PNG, wouldn't that move Vidor into their place? Just wondering...

It doesn't work that way.  Just because one team beats out a top ten doesn't just mean they are a top ten team.  You have to consider that there are teams all over the state waiting to jump into that spot. 

IMO there are not any 4A or 5A top ten teams in Southeast Texas at this time. There may be two 3A teams that are in there and my guess is that time might show they are down a little as well.  Many baseball people, including coaches, will tell you that baseball is down in this area right now. 

Coaches I talked to base this evaluation on many indicators.

1) Many SETX teams in the past have had three or four pitchers between 85-90 mph.  I don't think there are any teams with more than one in this range right now.  If there are any teams with this many arms, it is a low number of teams.

2) Many times in the past our 4A playoff representatives plowed through this region like steam engines.  Last year all three 4A teams lost in their first round.  Some of you might say, well that was last year.  I personally don't think it will be much different this year. I see posts that claim different area '08 teams have what it takes to go deep. It is a consensus among most area baseball people that this is just not the case. The closest team to this area that has the ability to make a run this year is Barbers Hill.  I do think their weak district schedule and their rash of injuries might even hamper their ability to prepare to do this.

3) Some have said that Vidor's recent emergence into the playoff race can be credited to more than just their improvement.  It is also that the other teams are just not as good as they have been in the past. This is not a knock on Vidor.  I admit they are improved, but I don't think this Vidor team is even in the race ten years ago.  Nor do I think this PNG team would have been in the race, nor this Nederland team, nor this LCM team.  They are simply not as good as they have been in the past.

4) Rarely is there a 9th grader that can break a 4A or 5A lineup.  Many area teams have 9th graders starting for them right now.  There are at least five local 4A teams with 9th graders starting on their varsity and I am sure there are some I don't know about. There were 9th graders starting on both teams at the Vidor / PNG game Tuesday.  It happens from time to time, but never this many 9th graders competing in the local 4A varsity district at one time. 

I think we need to look at what has led to this fall off and see if there is anything we can change to get back to the level we were once at.  This is not just my opinion.  (Some) Coaches and (some) local league leaders agree. 

Sorry maddness, but I have to disagree.  This may well be the most talented team in the history of our school.  D-1 shortstop. D-1 left handed pitcher that can mash.  Right handed pitcher that could beat any team in the state, but can't get any respect because he doesn't throw 88 like our other guy.  #3 throws 84-86.  That is 3 legit.  Centerfielder as good as any I have seen in this district in years.  Yes we do have a freshman starter, but I bet when guys like Allen Harrington and Dustin Hood were starting as freshman they were making an impact just like ours is.

Sorry maddness, but I have to disagree.  This may well be the most talented team in the history of our school.   D-1 shortstop. D-1 left handed pitcher that can mash.  Right handed pitcher that could beat any team in the state, but can't get any respect because he doesn't throw 88 like our other guy.  #3 throws 84-86.  That is 3 legit.  Centerfielder as good as any I have seen in this district in years.  Yes we do have a freshman starter, but I bet when guys like Allen Harrington and Dustin Hood were starting as freshman they were making an impact just like ours is.

First off, let me say I agree....you have the most talented team in Vidor history.  But let's be real, is that a very difficult honor to achieve?  Just because you have the best team in school history does not mean you are a Texas 4A Top Ten team. 

And I'll give you credit for having the stones to post it, but do you realize that you said the right hander could beat ANY team in the state of Texas?  Believe me when I say that Southeast Texas is not the be all end all of talented 4A teams.  You have the Corpus Christi teams, Brenham, and don't get me started on the numerous teams in the DFW area.  You guys couldn't get past Barber's Hill last year and now you can beat any team in the state?  Let's be realistic.

I am incredibly pleased to see Vidor doing as well as they are.  I wish them continued success, but what I can't figure out is how all of a sudden they are a Top Ten team and can beat anyone in the state.  ???

I agree completely with Midcountymadness.  I watched the Nederland/LCM game Tuesday night and couldn't help but think back to the late 90's and early '00s and what intensity there was at those games.  Practically every batter in the line up was a threat for both teams, strong pitching with an incredible bullpen to back it up.  It used to be the norm for two teams in this district to meet back up in the play-offs, usually the regional finals.  I know LCM met PNG and Nederland several times there during those years.  3A still has it with BC/Jasper and hopefully 4A will enjoy the same in the years to come, but I don't see it happening this year with any of the teams in our district.  I'm sure this will result in 50 posts from Vidor fans, but I just don't see ANY team in this district going more than one or two rounds this year either.  Doesn't mean I don't want it to happen or that I am any less of a fan of this district.  Still lots more ball to play and room for improvement but that doesn't make a low to mid 80's pitcher a flamethrower.  I, too hope to see a turnaround to the glory days when the Golden Triangle was known as a 4A baseball power house.  Best of luck to all teams in the race.

Guest blackflag

I'm not going to say Vidors a top ten team at this point but I will say that when anyone else from this district has been in the top ten polls noone has came on this board to say the district is having a down year. 

My post discussed the district being down last year, as well as this year.  Both PNG and LCM were ranked last year at some point.  Both LCM and PNG have been ranked this year at some point.  On numerous occasions, local 4A teams have plyed in the regional finals with the winner going to the State Tournament.  It was just a "red flag" to me that no one form this area won even one playoff round last year.  That should tell us that our baseball empire is not at it's height.  I also don't see muh better than that happening this year.  I am hopeful, but doubtful.

My post discussed the district being down last year, as well as this year.  Both PNG and LCM were ranked last year at some point.  Both LCM and PNG have been ranked this year at some point.  On numerous occasions, local 4A teams have plyed in the regional finals with the winner going to the State Tournament.  It was just a "red flag" to me that no one form this area won even one playoff round last year.  That should tell us that our baseball empire is not at it's height.  I also don't see muh better than that happening this year.  I am hopeful, but doubtful.

I assume you are not including BH when referring to this area in regards to last year's playoffs.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder