Okay, all you Lamar fan's make sure you are sitting down!

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Okay, I said I would make some phone calls and talk to a few people. I didn't get a lot of information about what the plans are for the football stadium.

But, I did get a name of the man who has agreed to start our football program with the official announcement coming around April 1. There are some contractual agreements that have to be ironed out but nothing major. They are mainly waiting for the deadline of the 21 to pass.

I know most of the time I can keep confidential stuff but this is too big. If will be out by tomorrow or sooner anyway. Barry Switzer has agreed to become the HEAD COACH OF THE LAMAR CARDINALS. Yes, I said Barry Switzer. The guy who coach OU to a couple of NC and the Dallas Cowboys to a SB victory.

Part of the agreement is next year he'll still be able to do the Pregame show on Fox. He'll get a $300,000 signing bonus and $300,000 yearly. Part of what they are working on now is the length of the contract.

Heck, the story is probably leaked to the media and may be on the 10 PM local news. I'd watch KFDM tonight.

Go Cardinals, welcome back football!!!

Many here didn't like the idea, however he is the second best choice. First is Jimmy Johnson. Give him all the Fox breaks he want.

Can you imagine Lamar being mentioned every weekend on national tv before a NFL game. Imagine the recruits we get from that.

I'll have to see it to believe it.....

When Tubbs first took over as AD, Switzer was the name he mentioned. He also mentioned the WAC.

Ofcourse the landscape looks different today so maybe the WAC is out. Tubbs also said I-AA will not work in Beaumont.

With Lamar on national tv every weekend, this will help Roc and other sports in recruiting.

Switzer is 70 right now...is that the right man for the job? He have the energy to start a new program? I think Howard Schellenberger was younger when he started at a FAU.

Not believing it til I see it...we'll see, I guess.

I think Switzer name will get the recruits while the younger coaches do most of the coaching while Switzer is styling on FOX.

Kinda like how Tubbs set things up for Roc.

Guest abovetherim

Guys, I was joking with you guys and basically pulled a April 1 (April fools joke) a few weeks early. Believe me, I've fell for some jokes by friends that would put this to shame. However, the shame is on me. I should not have left it up this long. I attempted to throw out a name that we all heard but would be "totally outrageous" if we landed him even at 70, in Barry Switzer. Then the $300.000 signing bonus and $300,000 yearly contracts would have been almost triple that of Coach Roc.

So, the joke is put to bed. I deserve all the nasty PM's and all.

But, the bottom line here is all of you replies were great. UNLV, if Lamar could land someone like Barry Switzer, the stadium would not be big enough and the first game would be a sale out. Tiger90, I 100% agree with your statements and if Lamar wants to take their athletic program to the next level the administration would need to do the things you mentioned in your post.

Texas Terror, those are great questions Lamar would need to address for any coach over 60. But, I wouldn't rule out someone based on age as BT was 68 when he came back to Lamar. Look at Coach Graham and the Rice Owls baseball program. Don't think you fell for it as hard as a couple others.

Coachacola, if would be major news if such was to occur. roberthollister, Bobcatfan4life, Texas Terror, Coachacola, Tiger90 and especially UNLV no harm was intended. I thought after everyone had time to digest that I was joking we would all get a big laugh.

But, I as you see it is about 4:30am when I started type this reply and spilling the beans so to speak. I couldn't sleep anymore thinking one of you guys would take it personal. I was just joking around but at the same time I was kind of a "wish list" of things I hope and wish the athletic department can get done to get people excited about Lamar University Football.

Again, if you guys have been around the Lamar forums awhile you know I've falling for similar issues. I'm sorry if I took it too far and you are welcome to bash me all you want. I deserve it.

I just could not wait any longer to tell you guys the truth. I know my credibility will probably take a hit but I can tell you everything else I've posted on here has been truthful. But I'm sure a few of you will question anything I post for a while and I don't blame you.

In closing, I was just attempting to be funny but I got about 4 hrs sleep before I had to tell the truth. I might have lost more sleep worrying if you guys would take it personal than you probably did with excitement Coach Switzer was going to be our new coach.

I hope you all forgive this old guy with a life of work, school, eat, sleep, study and this attempting to help out on this forum. Honestly, no harm was intended.

Dale that was not funny! You got me all fired up and then slamed me. >:(

Yeah, I have to agree.  You're in a position where you have placed yourself as "the" guy for LU athletics information.  I along with most who visit this part of the board have developed a certain amount of trust for your posts.  We get all sorts of posters who say all sorts of nonsensical things but I would have expected more here.  April 1st is still 2 weeks away.banhim.gif

Yeah, I have to agree.  You're in a position where you have placed yourself as "the" guy for LU athletics information.  I along with most who visit this part of the board have developed a certain amount of trust for your posts.  We get all sorts of posters who say all sorts of nonsensical things but I would have expected more here. 

I agree -- you are very a credible source of information ABR3...sounds like an attempt to generate excitement for a program, one that from words that have reached my ears (though I can not confirm), that is not doing as well as they would have thought, in raising the funds to help put this football program on the map...

I should've known -- Lamar would have been ridiculous to give $300k a year to an FCS coach...

Guest coachacola

I find this funny.  I think everyone takes these message boards to serious.  TexasTerror, you should have known better, but since you try so hard to be "Mr. Know-It-All" around the web then you deserve some egg in your face for posting this info so quickly elsewhere.

Guest abovetherim

How do we know now that you're not joking, about joking, and Switzer is named the coach? huh?

Promise I'm not joking about Switzer anymore. No, I have not heard his name mentioned as more than someone Billy Tubbs is using for a source of information.

Sorry, I should have used better judgement and joked about something besides football. I know how serious we all are on seeing football return to the University.

Will not play around about football on the forum again.

DP, you know me personally for over twenty years. I'm sorry I played a joke about football. I know you and everyone else in SE Texas takes football pretty serious.

I know! Good thing i read this thread all at once... otherwise i might have gotten mad at you... that is big time news if it was true!

Now we know not to trust anything that rim says.  ;)

You Southeast Texas guys kill me! You said the same thing about Billy Tubbs coming back to Lamar. "The building will be filled now." Oh Please! Winning will be only thing to get fans into the stands.

But I guess I have to admire your hope and feelings from the past days long-gg  gone.

Guest abovetherim

I think our overall athletic program is definitely better since he returned to Lamar. Did he bring make the glory days of basketball? No. I do agree that winning is the only thing to get fans in the stands. I think the coaches in the athletic department are headed in the right direction.

Sorry it isn't fast enough for some.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder