Okay, all you Lamar fan's make sure you are sitting down!

Guest abovetherim

Guest roberthollister

Five years from now we could be the "Appalachian St. vs Michigan" upset of the century.  Except ours is more likely to be "Lamar upsets A&M at Kyle Field"......Don't laugh, this could happen.  What's Appalachian State's athletic budget annually?  Something similar to what ours will be with football.

I think our overall athletic program is definitely better since he returned to Lamar. Did he bring make the glory days of basketball? No. I do agree that winning is the only thing to get fans in the stands. I think the coaches in the athletic department are headed in the right direction.

Sorry it isn't fast enough for some.

Okay, I'll agree that the program has gotten better after being down. But the excitement of football is definitely the trigger point.

Five years from now we could be the "Appalachian St. vs Michigan" upset of the century.  Except ours is more likely to be "Lamar upsets A&M at Kyle Field"......Don't laugh, this could happen.  What's Appalachian State's athletic budget annually?  Something similar to what ours will be with football.

A&M? Funny -- since the NCAA allowed FBS schools to play FCS schools annually for one game to count towards bowl eligibility, A&M has just played Texas State - San Marcos. They seem to prefer the schools from outside of Texas (see The Citadel, Montana St). Louisiana has same problem. LSU will not play McNeese, SLU or Nicholls. They prefer to play Western Carolina and Appalachian St. Believe A&M is sticking out of state from here on out...

Guest coachacola

The Equity in Athletics website had App State's budget at $9.6 million last year.  Lamar's was around $5 million.  With the addition of football, softball and soccer, the budget will probably be over $8 million in a few years.

There was an interesting note about App State football revenue:

Football Revenues were increased by $657,495 by NCAA playoff revenues which were offset by $707,787.93 in playoff expenses.

App State wins the FCS championship and they lose money?  I'm sure they gain a lot more money in donations, merchandise sales and such, but there's not much TV money from the FCS playoffs.  On the other hand, being a FBS team and going to a minor bowl often costs a school more money that what they make from it.  I think if you're going to lose money you might as well do it at the highest level.

Guest abovetherim

Why, because we aren't UT, A&M, LSU, USC, OU, Texas Tech, Michigan and so on? Man, please I respect your opinion because it is YOURS. Please respect my opinion and my school. Yes, I am currently a student at Lamar. Please quit dogging our school and programs at Lamar. I understand if you don't like Lamar. Join the club, there are a lot of people who don't.

Maybe we won't have a major football program but it will get 63 additional scholarships to young men. Are they all going to be from SE Texas? No, of course not. Then remember Title IV, you have to have the same number of scholarships for women in proportion to female and male students. Since there are more female students at Lamar then with football coming there with be additional sports for females. Then comes the band. Hopefully, comes more students so there is an increased reimbursement from the state which could be in the range of $10 million or more a year on the academic side of things.

It is bigger than just football. Football is the trigger point to more students, more state funding, better school spirit, tradition and so on. If football wasn't an important aspect of student live why are there so many junior colleges have football programs? Why is Lamar among a handful of 4 year schools in the state of Texas without one?

I think it is pretty easy to see why "football is definitely the trigger point".

Guest abovetherim

I was directing my post toward BLUEDOVE3. Sorry about the confusion but a couple others posted while I was typing up my post. Matter of fact I'm at the John Gray Library right now because my class got a walk. Wasting a few minutes till I go home. If I get home before the wife she'll want to know why I didn't start dinner.  ;D

Maybe we won't have a major football program but it will get 63 additional scholarships to young men. Are they all going to be from SE Texas? No, of course not. Then remember Title IV, you have to have the same number of scholarships for women in proportion to female and male students. Since there are more female students at Lamar then with football coming there with be additional sports for females. Then comes the band. Hopefully, comes more students so there is an increased reimbursement from the state which could be in the range of $10 million or more a year on the academic side of things.

It is bigger than just football. Football is the trigger point to more students, more state funding, better school spirit, tradition and so on. If football wasn't an important aspect of student live why are there so many junior colleges have football programs? Why is Lamar among a handful of 4 year schools in the state of Texas without one?

==============================

First, I'd love for football to come back to LU. But let me ask some questions:

1) In 1988, did LU have 50 or more scholarship football players?  Yes  or No

2) Did LU have a band in 1988?  Yes or No

So, how is 2010 going to be more financially secure than 1988?

I don't know but maybe you know.

Guest abovetherim

Do you remember the student referendum? All the past stuff does not matter. Why? Because since the TSUS board voted in favor (unanimously I might add) of the student fee of $8.75 for fall and spring semesters and $4.50 in summer sessions to go directly to funding football. Now, this money will not pay for all the renovations but it will provide approximately $2.2 million a year to fund the program. I've read where Dr. Simmons stated the football budget will start at $1.5 million.

So to compare this NEW football program to the OLD one in the 80's is like comparing apples and oranges. Back then they did not have a student fee to keep the program out of the red.

Guest abovetherim

I cannot believe you guys actually think people will attend LU games in mass. Tisk! Tisk!

What happened to winning and people will come out? I guess you don't believe your own post.  :D

Not saying we'll win at first but if BT is playing poker, golf, FT contest he is playing to win. We'll eventually get there with the right coach.

I can't believe you actually bother posting on a forum you obviously don't care about.Tisk! Tisk!

Guest roberthollister

South Florida's first football game was against Kentucky Wesleyan and they lost, 80-3.  It's going to take time.  But why couldn't Lamar become the next South Florida?  Granted, USF has an enrollment of 32,000 students.  With time, Lamar's enrollment will increase incrementally in the next several years.  This topic is open for debate......

I cannot believe you guys actually think people will attend LU games in mass. Tisk! Tisk!

What happened to winning and people will come out? I guess you don't believe your own post.  :D

Not saying we'll win at first but if BT is playing poker, golf, FT contest he is playing to win. We'll eventually get there with the right coach.

I can't believe you actually bother posting on a forum you obviously don't care about.Tisk! Tisk!

LU community will not support losers. It's been proven over time. I don't expect LU to have a winning season it's first year, but it could happen. If you were born around the time LU had their last season, they had a winning program. Attendance was poor. I'm just going on history, which tends to repeat itself. For personal and financial reasons, I hope LU becomes a sports powerhouse. It's going to benefit me ;D

Guest abovetherim

Agree with that assessment, nor is Beaumont a hockey town. Quick quesion besides the refineries what is the #1 place of employment in SE Texas? If Lamar has a great athletic program it will benefit a lot more people than just yourself. 

I believe in the theory history repeats itself but history can be changed. Are you familiar with the candidates running for president? Don't tell me things can't change and those are some bigger changes than attempting to produce a good product for entertainment and a athletic program.

Above the rim or UNLV, isn't today the deadline for applying for the coaching position?  When will some factual candidates names be realeased?

I believe the time period is the minimum amount of days that the ad needs to be posted (ABR and I were discussing this earlier) per state law...the job posting can be posted for several months...

Above the rim or UNLV, isn't today the deadline for applying for the coaching position?  When will some factual candidates names be realeased?

I believe the time period is the minimum amount of days that the ad needs to be posted (ABR and I were discussing this earlier) per state law...the job posting can be posted for several months...

Yep, it will go back to HR and reposted

Oh, but you can't take my word either?  Man, I really should tell you guys who I am  ;D

Somebody who has the worst, negative attitude towards Lamar that i know...

a katfan?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124