ESPN's "Black Magic"- WOW

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

I spent the last two evenings watching part 1 and 2 of that series on ESPN....It was like sitting in a history classroom! It was sooooo educational..I even saw my father's 1963 NAIA championship squad in action (featuring Luke Jackson)...It was really interesting..I had no idea who some of these people were that my dad always referenced...Coach McClendon, Earl "the pearl" Monroe, Earl Love (that was a sad story, turned triumphant...wow), Coach Ben Jobe (what a coaching story), "Pee Wee" Kirkland (scored 135 points in a jail league game..I remembered him in movie "Above The Rim" playing a small role as a college coach...did not know that was him)..It was very exciting...Raised my GURU level 5 MORE notches!! ;D

I spent the last two evenings watching part 1 and 2 of that series on ESPN....It was like sitting in a history classroom! It was sooooo educational..I even saw my father's 1963 NAIA championship squad in action (featuring Luke Jackson)...It was really interesting..I had no idea who some of these people were that my dad always referenced...Coach McClendon, Earl "the pearl" Monroe, Earl Love (that was a sad story, turned triumphant...wow), Coach Ben Jobe (what a coaching story), "Pee Wee" Kirkland (scored 135 points in a jail league game..I remembered him in movie "Above The Rim" playing a small role as a college coach...did not know that was him)..It was very exciting...Raised my GURU level 5 MORE notches!! ;D

I could not lift my eyes off the screen... I save them on DVR because it was powerful...  The Pee Wee showed all of todays youngsters the road they should not take...  But the saddest story was the guy I think his name was Billy that got black balled from the league...  He was ultra talented...  An it wasn't bias, it gave alot of props to the white stars and players of the time too...  It was a cool show...

Guest DickVitale

Props to ESPN for airing that...I am not going to lie...When I first saw the commercial preview, I was skeptical as to what would be shown....It was very powerful....How about the "white shadow" at Virginia Union? I did not know that story...Great stuff! They also showed Bobby Phills doing Lamar in the Montagne!! :D...I have it on DVR as well. 

Guest orangeman

I watched part 1 last night and I barely moved a muscle for two hours. GREAT SHOW. I'll watch part 2 tonight after my kids go to bed... can't wait. (Regarding the South Carolina St. "riot") I wanted to punch that governor right in the FACE! Racist jerk!

I use to watch Luke play at Finnegan Park in 5th Ward of Houston. But what was your dad's name ??? ;D

Guest DickVitale

Uh, Luke Jackson is NOT from Houston..He is originally from San Marcos. He started out at Texas Southern, and my dad talked him into transferring to Pan American in 1961. Did they play pick up at Finnegan Park while they were in college (Dad and Luke)?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder