*LC-M vs. PN-G/5-1 PN-G Wins/Comments*

No shortage of quality pitching from both squads. Mitch Todd of PNG was lights out with devastating 1st strike breaking ball. He tired in the 5th and Eric Harrington with only 50 something pitches thrown Tues. had plenty in the tank to finish it off.

Dallas Brown of LCM pitched well, Jalai and Harrington took him deep on pitches that he was behind in the count. A big 2 out error  gave Mitch Todd an opportunity and he delivered a bases clearing triple.

Ben Jones of LCM pitched the final two for LCM, I believe he wasn't touched.

Big props go to Mitch Todd and Eric Harrington for great pitching outings.  Todd gave a great performance on the mound and got the win and Eric came in and finished the game with the save when Mitch showed a little fatigue.

Big congratulations to Amir Jalali for his first at bat in varsity and took the pitch deep over the left field fence.  Eric also hit another HR to tie up the game in the first inning.  PNG played error-free ball and the bats were there when they needed to be.

LCM has a good team and I think this reality check will help them regroup.  Winning takes a combination of things to happen, good pitching, good hitting, good group efforts.  THis district is going to be some great baseball and fun to watch.

Props to the Indians for a great effort tonight.  They played team ball.

To my Bears...you went in as a team, you played as a team, you lost as a team.  We can talk about errors or other things all night, but the fact is, even without that error in the 3rd, you were still down 2-1.  If you don't hit the ball, you don't get men on base, and you don't score.  Mitch Todd pitched a great game, and we stood by and watched a lot of strikes go by on 3rd strikes.  Calling it "junk pitches" does not lessen the fact that it is a strike.  A pitcher's job is to throw what you can't hit, and he did his job. 

What now?  Leave it behind, take lessons from it, and improve.  In the words of Gunny Highway from the movie "Heartbreak Ridge"...Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.  We have every confidence in you!

PN-G topples LC-M 5-1 in 22-4A play

Cody Pastorella

The Orange Leader

PORT NECHES — Mitch Todd is a name Little Cypress -Mauriceville will soon want to forget after Port Neches-Groves and Todd sent the Bears home with a 5-1 loss on Friday night.

Not only did Todd throw five innings of three hit, one run ball, but he also doubled in three runs when the game was still in question.

Todd simply explained it as a moment where he knew he needed to do something.

"I had two strikes on me and the bases were loaded, I knew what a hit could do for us and I knew I needed to make something happen," he explained.

Todd sent a streaking liner to the left field gap, unloading the bases with a double to make the score 5-1 in the third inning. Earlier that inning, Amir Jalali hit a solo homer to break the 1-1 tie and give the Indians what proved to be the decisive run.

All three of Todd's RBIs were unearned as an error and two walks prolonged the inning before Todd did his damage.

The Bears struck first as a pair of doubles brought in Jon Gunn in the first inning to give LC-M a 1-0 lead.

That was the only hits Todd allowed until the sixth inning when Gunn singled for his second hit of the ball game. Gunn's singled moved Tim Berry, who reached on an error, to second base, giving the Bears runners at first and second with nobody out.

The Indians then called in their ace, Eric Harrington, who tied the game at 1-1 after hitting a bomb in the first inning.

Harrington retired LC-M's next three batters and struck out two along the way.

Todd, who picked up the win, struck out seven batters and improved his record to 3-0 on the season.

"He (Todd) did an outstanding job for us tonight," said PN-G head coach Jay Stone. "I thought he threw an excellent ball game and really did a great job with his off-speed stuff. He kept them off balance and that things up for Harrington to come in and close it out.

"Both guys did a great job. It was really the Mitch Todd show tonight, though. He came up with a big, clutch hit for us and that broke the game open."

Dallas Brown tallies the loss. He tossed four innings, giving up five runs (two earned) on five hits, including the two homers.

Harrington's homer was his fourth of the year.

The Tribe ended the game with six hits, as they picked up another hit off of Ben Jones. Jones threw in two innings of work and struck out five of the seven batters he faced.

With the win, PN-G moves to 10-3 overall and 2-0 in District 22-4A.

"It's nice to get a win against those guys and be a game ahead of them, but it's early in the season," Stone said. "There is still 12 more games and all are against really good teams. Every game is tough in this district and anything can happen, so we try to take it one game at a time."

The Indians travel to Nederland on Tuesday for their next game. That game is set to start at 7 p.m. Nederland is 1-1 in league play after beating Central 10-0 Friday night.

LC-M, meanwhile, falls to 13-3 and 1-1 in district with the loss to PN-G. Before Friday night, the Bears had been a hitting machine, busting off four homers in their district opener against Central Tuesday night and having much of that success all through the preseason.

But Todd only allowed three hits and one run to the offensive minded Bears.

"I came in a little nervous but my defense backed me up, made a few plays and I started to settle in," Todd said. "I knew coming in that they were a great hitting team, they always are. We know they are a good fastball hitting team, so I just stuck with the curveball and that was really working."

Before Harrington slammed the door shut on the Bears in the sixth inning, Berry and Gunn moved to second and third on past ball with just one out.

The Lamar signee then struck out Stefan Leger and got Chad Richard to ground out to none other than Todd, who was at third base, for the final out of the inning.

Harrington sat LC-M down in order in the seventh to end the game.

a little advise to you coach griff....quit putting your boys in 3a tournys and beating up on small schools just to get your confidence up and maybe they would be able to play good ball when they get to the 4A district games.....food for thought.....and either way LC-M has no chance to beat PN-G even on their best day

a little advise to you coach griff....quit putting your boys in 3a tournys and beating up on small schools just to get your confidence up and maybe they would be able to play good ball when they get to the 4A district games.....food for thought.....and either way LC-M has no chance to beat PN-G even on their best day

::) ::)

Let's not write the obit for the Bears just yet. Remember, they went 14-0 last year in district with the same tournament schedule.

Let's not write the obit for the Bears just yet. Remember, they went 14-0 last year in district with the same tournament schedule.

they didnt go 14-0  png beat them the first round  and somebody else did too  theywent 12-2 because png went 11-3

It's way too early to write anybody off. The bears have a very good team. They ran into some good pitching that night. I don't think I have ever seen a team with the size players that LCM has. They must have a good weight training program. Those guys are huge.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami