Lindsay - 45

1A Division 2

Rochelle -

Kennard -

Follett -

Roby -

Good news Cat fans ;)

Canyon 50, Navasota 42

AUSTIN (AP) — Brittany Hampton scored 17 points and Canyon got coach Joe Lombard to within one game of his 14th state championship and career victory No. 1,000 with a 50-42 win over Navasota in the Class 3A girls semifinals.

Canyon (31-3) put together the decisive run midway throught the third quarter to pull ahead for good. Hampton converted a 3-point to start an 11-0 run that included consecutive 3-pointers by Jordan Vessels and Whitney Grimes that put Canyon up 36-26.

Jamie Spriggs and Brateicka Mock each scored 19 points for Navasota (36-4).

Lombard’s career record in 30 seasons at Canyon and Nazareth is 999-92.

Wow...how and why is that good news?  See, this is what I am talking about.  For moderators to be "happy" or "content" with the fact that the Navasota girls' basketball team lost is childish and uncalled for.  What kind of example are we setting here fellas?

So, so much for fairness and all that jazz because I was under the impression that it was a LONE ROGUE REF who was to blame, not the players.  I can see that obviously that is not the case.  Pitiful, I tell you...pitiful.

I am ashamed for you.

He works for a news paper he uses headlines to capture readers attention.  I was pulling fo Canyon the whole year, to be ranked number one after winning state last year and their coach to win his 999th win and 14th trip to State that is impressive!  CONGRATS CANYON, it could have been anyone it just had to be Navasota this time.  There may be some Orangefield fans who might not have liked Navasota for some reason and wanted them to lose so what???? Just like I'm sure there are people who didn't want OF to win district, or HJ to make it to Regionals...

Wow...how and why is that good news?  See, this is what I am talking about.  For moderators to be "happy" or "content" with the fact that the Navasota girls' basketball team lost is childish and uncalled for.  What kind of example are we setting here fellas?

So, so much for fairness and all that jazz because I was under the impression that it was a LONE ROGUE REF who was to blame, not the players.  I can see that obviously that is not the case.  Pitiful, I tell you...pitiful.

I am ashamed for you.

Tell you what's pitiful....is you up there on your moral high horse.  A few people who might get just a tiny bit of satisfaction with the outcome of the game considering everything they went through isn't the end of the world.  Seems like you are the one who keeps bringing your argument up over and over again?  We've heard what you had to say....know how you feel about the subject....and are ever so thankful that you blessed us with your vast knowledge of all things right or wrong.

Now, why don't you see if you can find a WOS thread somewhere to wax poetic about the morality of choosing to root for a certain team or not?  I mean I'm sure you couldn't find many WOS fans who bought La Vega t-shirts after your earlier than expected playoff exit this last football season.

I dont argue much on here but I dont like what was said...

I think I said "Good news for Cats fans"....And Ill even take pleasure in the win a little myself yes. I covered OF about 25 times this year and know their players on a personal level and professional. I did the exact same things for WOS the past several years when they were in the playoffs.

I never once bad-mouthed Navasota and never once even talked on the Navasota-OF topics.

Those are the facts.

Gabriel Pruett

Orange Leader

He works for a news paper he uses headlines to capture readers attention.  I was pulling fo Canyon the whole year, to be ranked number one after winning state last year and their coach to win his 999th win and 14th trip to State that is impressive!  CONGRATS CANYON, it could have been anyone it just had to be Navasota this time.  There may be some Orangefield fans who might not have liked Navasota for some reason and wanted them to lose so what???? Just like I'm sure there are people who didn't want OF to win district, or HJ to make it to Regionals...

That is so awesomely great...you were pulling for Canyon the whole year (not over the Lady Bobcats, right?)  JK

Believe it or not...I know that he works for a newspaper.  Shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone else, k?  I sincerely believe that that wouldn't have made it through the final edit with that headline.

Did I want OF to win district?  Well, considering that WO-S was having a down year, it really didn't matter.  Does that mean that I didn't want them to win--absolutely not.  I knew that we weren't in contention.  Same with HJ...they have a really good team.  I try and support anyone who represents SE Texas...because I live in SE Texas.  It's kind of a neat concept.  I also support most Texas teams (if not all of them), but of course, I have my favorites.  Just wanted to clarify that!!!  8)

I am ashamed for you.

Tell you what's pitiful....is you up there on your moral high horse.  A few people who might get just a tiny bit of satisfaction with the outcome of the game considering everything they went through isn't the end of the world.  Seems like you are the one who keeps bringing your argument up over and over again?  We've heard what you had to say....know how you feel about the subject....and are ever so thankful that you blessed us with your vast knowledge of all things right or wrong.

Now, why don't you see if you can find a WOS thread somewhere to wax poetic about the morality of choosing to root for a certain team or not?  I mean I'm sure you couldn't find many WOS fans who bought La Vega t-shirts after your earlier than expected playoff exit this last football season.

Sister girl1,

Moral high horse?  That would be kind of cute if it were true...you know...the Mustang=horse thing, but I beg to differ.  You only wish I was the only one bringing this up.  While I don't have vast knowledge about "all things right and wrong"...I do have an inkling about adults being happy about a group of kids (the same ages as their own players) losing at the state level.

If I find a WO-S thread or any other thread that I want to post on, trust me I will (just as you and everyone else that comes to this website does).  Duh...that's what it's here for.  Were WO-S fans glad that La Vega won?  Hmmmmm....this one could take awhile (about as long to ask yourself if you were glad that OF lost to Navasota)...of course not.  I know that I pulled for LaVega and so did my son and several other players.  They beat us...no excuses or reasons other than they were the best team that night.  The earlier than expected remark...can I tell you a little secret...we did much better than most of us thought so that equals...they exceeded our expectations. 8)

Yes Gabe.  You have done your job and done it well, for OF and WO-S.

My point was that it was posted in one of the vast number of threads that Navasota's girls were not to blame for the ref's call (which they weren't) and for adults to take pleasure in seeing girls the same age as their teams' players lose...what if those girls visited this site.  What if they posted something similar on another site regarding OF.  Yes, you did post the quirky little title...the emicons spoke louder than the words.

Again, not on a high horse so stop attempting to put me up there!  These are just the types of threads that leave a negative effect on the area. 

Sincerely with my feet FIRMLY planted on the ground!!!  stang4life

I dont argue much on here but I dont like what was said...

I think I said "Good news for Cats fans"....And Ill even take pleasure in the win a little myself yes. I covered OF about 25 times this year and know their players on a personal level and professional. I did the exact same things for WOS the past several years when they were in the playoffs.

I never once bad-mouthed Navasota and never once even talked on the Navasota-OF topics.

Those are the facts.

Gabriel Pruett

Orange Leader

I will say, I do understand the emotions involved here, and I would not begin to try and relate with what the people from Orangefield are feeling because I have no ties to the community. But, stang4life does have a point. Why wish ill will or " be happy " over their loss? They are not the ones that " cheated " you. IMO, good news to the Orangefield folks would be that particular ref never officiated a game again, not for Navasota to lose. I have always felt that if I or my team lost in the playoffs, I would like for the team that beat me win it all, therefore I could claim that we got beat by the champions. Of course unless I have some personal ties with another team, be it fellow district team or some other connections that would lead me to pull for them instead, aka Silsbee and HJ situation.

I know this situation is a little different, and like I said, I won't begin to think I know how you guys feel. Gabe, after working with you over the last few months, I have come to know and appreciate how much the Lady Bobcat basketball team means to you. Please don't take this as a knock on you personally. You do an outstanding job and should be commended for it.

All I am saying is this, I really hate the fact the game ended the way it did, just sad. But to smile about another team losing just doesn't seem right. Also, having one to lose the way you guys lost is not right either.

Navasota girls eliminated at state by Canyon, 50-42

AUSTIN -- Navasota was the new kid on the block at the University Interscholastic League Class 3A Girls State Basketball Tournament on Thursday at the Frank Erwin Center.

Despite being a powerhouse in Class 3 A Region III, the Rattlers had never been to the state tournament. Their dreams of grandeur faded quickly though, as they lost 50-42 to Canyon, a team that was making it’s 22nd state tournament appearance since 1969.

The 3A state semifinal matchup pitted two very different teams against each other. Navasota, full of strong athletes like Brateicka Mock and Jamie Spriggs was squaring off a small, but fundamental Canyon group.

It was clear from the getgo that the two styles clashed. Navasota made power plays in the paint and Canyon responded with textbook jumpers and timely offensive schemes that included four to six passes and a layup.

The two went back and forth for the first two quarters and Canyon led 20-17 at halftime.

“We felt like we were in good shape at that point,†Navasota coach Tommy Gates said.

It was more of the same to start the second half until Canyon went on a 13-3 run in the final two minutes of the third quarter to take a 38-29 lead heading into the final eight minutes.

Although Navasota had some big plays from Mock and Spriggs and caused a few empty possessions for Canyon with a full court press, the Rattlers never could chip away completely. Navasota left Austin empty-handed and Canyon advanced to face Kennedale, the other 3A state finalist, on Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Frank Erwin Center.

Mock and Spriggs finished with 12 points apiece for the Rattlers, while Brittany Hampton led the Eagles with 17 points and four steals.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont