Boys basketball: Houston ISD teams still on the march

KFDM COOP

Boys basketball: Houston ISD teams still on the march

The Houston Independent School District has made its presence known during the postseason, with five boys basketball teams still alive.

Three of them are from District 20-5A — Chavez, Lamar and Madison — remain in the Class 5A-Region III playoffs. Meanwhile, Wheatley and Yates, respective winners in District 19-4A and 20-4A, have coasted through the Class 4A-Region III bracket.

Yates, the state's top-ranked team, is probably the safest best to advance to the state tournament. The Lions (24-2) extended their winning streak to 15 in a row, breaking the century mark in a 100-67 area victory over Austin McCallum.

Emmanuel Kirby scored 25 points and Anthony Jones 20 to lead Yates, considered by many to be a legitimate state title contender.

"We're really playing well," said first-year Yates coach Greg Wise. "We've gotten into the flow, which is what you want to happen in the playoffs."

The Lions will face District 18-4A winner Huntsville at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in a Region III quarterfinal game at Katy's Merrell Center. The Hornets advanced by beating Jones 71-58 last week.

Wise said Huntsville is a worthy opponent and could give Yates some problems.

"Huntsville is a good team," Wise said. "They play tough man-to-man defense. They're quick, athletic and like to break the game wide-open. The only difference is that we probably have a few more athletes than them."

Wheatley also is in the Region III quarterfinals, thanks to last week's 84-68 area win over Elgin. The Wildcats (28-5), like Yates, have won 15 straight games and seem to be peaking.

Wheatley coach Willie Patrick was his team's biggest problem against Elgin was foul trouble. But Carlos Cook carried the Wildcats, pouring in 26 points to lead the way.

"There were a lot of fouls called, but our kids showed a lot of composure," Patrick said.

Next up for Wheatley is a game against District 17-4A winner Austin Johnson at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Brenham. Austin Johnson rolled over Sharpstown 67-52 last week.

Patrick considers Wheatley a regional threat, along with the usual suspects — Beaumont Ozen, Huntsville, La Marque, Smiley and Yates, everyone's favorite.

"There should be some barn-burners this week," Patrick said.

But the most intriguing game involves a pair of District 20-5A teams who will play for a third time this season. Chavez (27-5) will meet league foe Lamar (23-11) at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Butler Field House.

The other game involving a District 20-5A team has Madison (23-9) facing Cypress Springs at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Aldine's Campbell Center. Cy Springs prevented another all-Houston ISD match-up, eliminating District 20-5A champion Bellaire 57-46 in the area round.

With three teams remaining, District 20-5A can state a case as the top district in Houston, although Fort Bend ISD still has all four teams — Bush, Dulles, Elkins and Hightower — in the quarterfinals.

"Some people are probably surprised to see three of us still playing, but the coaches in District 20-5A knew better," said Chavez coach Kevin Pullum. "The toughest games we play all year are in district."

Chavez, the District 20-5A runner-up, made history last week, beating Aldine 59-52 in the bi-district round, the program's first-ever playoff victory. The Lobos took it a step further, upsetting Strake Jesuit 85-79.

"Strake Jesuit was supposed to be one of the teams to beat in the region," Pullum said. "No one gave us much of chance winning on their home court, but we did it."

Chavez has the unenviable challenge of trying to defeat the same team three times in the same season. The Lobos swept a pair of league games against Lamar, but they eked out a 62-61 overtime win over the Redskins last month.

"Lamar has an outstanding team," Pullum said. "We know what we're up against."

Lamar, the fourth-place team from District 20-5A, is enjoying an unexpected playoff run, beating Eisenhower 64-51 and Alief Taylor 48-44 last week. The Redskins needed an 18-9 fourth-quarter spurt to win the latter game.

"In some ways, I feel like we're the No. 4 seed from our district. We had to beat Westbury just to get into the playoffs," said Lamar coach Dennis Gillespie. "But now that we're in it, we want to go as far as we can."

Madison, the league's third-place representative, is accustomed to lengthy playoff runs. The Marlins defeated Nimitz 90-87 in the bi-district round and used a huge fourth quarter to post an 82-80 area win against Hastings as Tommy Mason-Griffin hit seven of his 10 3-pointers and finished with 43 points.

"Offensively, we're putting up some big numbers lately," said Madison coach Craig Maura. "We scored 90 points against Nimitz and had 40 points in the fourth quarter against Hastings. Hopefully, we can keep it up."

That would set up yet another District 20-5A showdown.

"That's what we're counting on," Maura said.

I am getting sick of the Houston Chronicle crowning Yates, already!!  >:( ...Lets GO HUNTSVILLE!! :D

Dickie, I don't understand why all the disfavor towards OUR Houston schools. Some of your best moments were against these teams. You grew up rooting for these teams when you were a young boy. I just don't understand. It still isn't to late to " jump ship" come back home to the winners 8)

Guest DickVitale

I am getting sick of the Houston Chronicle crowning Yates, already!!  >:( ...Lets GO HUNTSVILLE!! :D

Dickie, I don't understand why all the disfavor towards OUR Houston schools. Some of your best moments were against these teams. You grew up rooting for these teams when you were a young boy. I just don't understand. It still isn't to late to " jump ship" come back home to the winners 8)

I played at MADISON and Yates was one of our fiercest rivals (even though they NEVER beat us) so I NEVER rooted for them..As a young boy, I was always on the sideline with my dad (coaching, of course  ;D) until I was old enough to play...Bottom line is dad is retired, I have long since graduated and moved on and HISD basketball is not what it used to be...Trust me, I KNOW where the winners are...Unfortunately no longer in Houston... 8)

Guest DickVitale

Dang, so Dick is saying Ozen will defeat Wheatley AND Yates if they meet up?  Dang!

First Lamar Consolidated, then we will discuss all other possible match ups later...IF Yates and Wheatley can survive Huntsville and Austin LBJ respectively... ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124