Fairfield\Navasota game...Navasota wins with a 3 at buzzer 50-47

Bobcat1

Wow.  Congrats Navasota.

I hope that everyone's going for the teams that Navasota is being because they sincerely like the other team because if they aren't and they are wishing Navasota to lose because of what happened the other night, then I just think that is sad.  I thought everyone was mad at the refs, not the girls. ???

What was meant to be happened and Navasota has obviously proven that they deserve where they are as much as the next person.  As I stated in a previous post, the ref's call extended the game, but it did not win the game because OF had the chance to pull through. 

I'll go for whoever beat the 21-3A contenders...whomever that ends up being...

Were you at the game?  I hope Navasota wins state because we ALL know who really should have won that game, and say what you want about overtime, there should not have been an over time.  It's like saying ok well you won, but lets play extra just because...NO POINT.  Navasota is a good team, they didn't talk trash out on the court, and they have a lot of depth, but we won that game BEFORE we had to play the pointless over time. 

Guest bleed orange

This has nothing to do with the Navasota Girls or their coach. Matter of fact the Navasota girls displayed great sportmanship during and after the game. I am glad Navasota made it to the state tournament. That just proves that Orangefield is one of the best teams in the state. What people are upset about is it should be us going. Believe me our anger is at the official not the kids of Navasota. Our kids were 17 down and came back and won the game and then their hearts were ripped out. That's hard for anyone to take especially a kid. Our kids are handling it a lot better than us. That shows you the true character these kids have.

Wow.  Congrats Navasota.

I hope that everyone's going for the teams that Navasota is being because they sincerely like the other team because if they aren't and they are wishing Navasota to lose because of what happened the other night, then I just think that is sad.  I thought everyone was mad at the refs, not the girls. ???

What was meant to be happened and Navasota has obviously proven that they deserve where they are as much as the next person.  As I stated in a previous post, the ref's call extended the game, but it did not win the game because OF had the chance to pull through. 

You know I have a real hard time believing that if the same thing had happened between Navasota and your Lady Mustangs that you would be handling it quite as well.  Not that you guys had any chance of heading to the regional tournament this year.  However, there was a terrible injustice done to the Lady Bobcats in that game and everyone knows it.  No one said anything about the Navasota girls.  In fact, all the Orangefield fans have handled this with incredible dignity.  You can play that we missed a layup here, turned the ball over here crap all day long....bottom line is Orangefield got screwed by a ridiculous official.  To have your entire season ended by a cowardly call like that has to be gutwrenching for Ofield players and fans alike.  Just give them time to get over it.

Wow.  Congrats Navasota.

You know I have a real hard time believing that if the same thing had happened between Navasota and your Lady Mustangs that you would be handling it quite as well.  Not that you guys had any chance of heading to the regional tournament this year.  However, there was a terrible injustice done to the Lady Bobcats in that game and everyone knows it.  No one said anything about the Navasota girls.  In fact, all the Orangefield fans have handled this with incredible dignity.  You can play that we missed a layup here, turned the ball over here crap all day long....bottom line is Orangefield got screwed by a ridiculous official.  To have your entire season ended by a cowardly call like that has to be gutwrenching for Ofield players and fans alike.  Just give them time to get over it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :D

I read stang4life's post and I think she was referencing the posts before she posted where several posters were obviously vyng for fairfield.  I didn't read anything more into it than that.

As for the jab at the mustangs not making it to the regional tournament, was that necessary.  It was obvious that they were heavily down this year.  Didn't it help yall because yall won district this year.  That should be enough for you without making jabs at girls who probably already don't feel really great about their season. 

I've read through all of these posts and if OF was the team that should have won, wouldn't they have ended overtime with the lead?  I'm just asking a question (so please don't persecute me).  I know that refs make bad calls all the time, but to completely blame the refs sounds kind of silly to me because OF had overtime to beat the other team.

Guest bleed orange

Here is what happen so maybe you will understand better. With 5 second left we are down by 2. We attempt a shot just across half court. One official called a foul as time expired. The officials put one second on the clock. We shoot and make all three free throws. We are up by one and the game is basically over. The other official walks over to our bench and warns the bench to settle down. Our coach turns to the girls and before he can say a word the official turns back around and gives the technical. His intention was to give the technical all along. He was going to even the score because of the foul that was called on Navasota and that's what he did. Our girls were 17 down and fought back and won the ball game or we thought only to have their hearts ripped out. They were spent emotionally and physically. Yes we lost in overtime but there should have never been an overtime. Navasota was bigger than us and more athletic. It would have been tough to beat them. I do feel sorry for WOS because not only did their coach from last year abandoned them so did their fans.

As far as what happened, it has been posted and reposted on here and unfortunately, there is no way to coach against referees.  In my last post, I was responding to the posts that were posted on here that appeared to be disappointed that Navasota didn't lose.  So, yes, there were some who basically were going for Fairfield per their posts. 

As for your comment about the Lady Mustangs...you only prove me right!  (Don't try and figure it out because you probably won't be able to!!)  I will be the first to admit that we were definitely down this year (athletically and fan-wise)...give yourself a boost!  ;)  I am quite sure that OF was relieved by it since the Bobcats won first place in district. :o

I do truly understand what the issue is and should the referee be punished...yes, if he is found to have made a very harsh and hasty call.  Again, you can not coach against the referees.  You coach what you have some control of....your team.  I know it must be heartbreaking and no... the girls did not deserve it, but again, the point is... one call did not "cost" OF the game; it was a series of things including the fact that they fought their butts off to get back into it and they were spent.

Again, Lady Bobcats, you are to be commended on your great run!!

As far as what happened, it has been posted and reposted on here and unfortunately, there is no way to coach against referees.  In my last post, I was responding to the posts that were posted on here that appeared to be disappointed that Navasota didn't lose.  So, yes, there were some who basically were going for Fairfield per their posts. 

As for your comment about the Lady Mustangs...you only prove me right!  (Don't try and figure it out because you probably won't be able to!!)  I will be the first to admit that we were definitely down this year (athletically and fan-wise)...give yourself a boost!   ;)  I am quite sure that OF was relieved by it since the Bobcats won first place in district. :o

I do truly understand what the issue is and should the referee be punished...yes, if he is found to have made a very harsh and hasty call.  Again, you can not coach against the referees.  You coach what you have some control of....your team.  I know it must be heartbreaking and no... the girls did not deserve it, but again, the point is... one call did not "cost" OF the game; it was a series of things including the fact that they fought their butts off to get back into it and they were spent.

I am not from Orangefield...only listened to the game and followed them through this site all season.  As for the "you probably can't figure it out" comment, believe me, I can handle myself just fine. 

Bottom line is this....you are entitled to your opinion.  I just happen to not agree.  And, I wonder, just what kind of posts would be on here if the tables were turned.  Let's say last year's Lady Mustang team had their season ended just one game shy of the regional tournament on a call like that.  Orangefield fans would be CRUCIFIED if they got on here posting the same argument you are holding to now.  ::)

I applaud you for being "able to handle yourself"...you still won't get what I am saying because it isn't meant for YOU to get. ;)  And, this really does not boil down to where any one is from.  I know that I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours...believe it or not, I respect your opinion and disagree with it.  That is possible, you know! ;)

As for the if the situation would have been the Lady Mustangs last year, I can not say that people from WO-S fans' would not be getting on here and posting some of the same stuff, just like you do not know that they "all" would.  As for me, no...while I might post something pertaining to the referee's action(s), I would not be making excuses.  Trust me, we have been involved in basketball, football, etc. games that we got some blatantly bad calls in and while I am not one to bite my tongue when I feel that our players have been "wronged", I look at the big picture and had we not made so many mistakes...then, maybe we would have pulled out the WIN. 

Thanks to all for not crucifying me like I guess kg1 thinks you guys would be crucified if the tables were turned.  And thanks kg1 for not repeating your quirky little statement about this year's teams because I have a feeling that had one of our posters posted that my dear, we might have been "crucified" (with good reason...just not very sportsman-like  ;)).  But, back to the point, there will always be people who like to blame this and that on a loss and I happen to disagree with that concept.

Guest bleed orange

As for your comment about the Lady Mustangs...you only prove me right!  (Don't try and figure it out because you probably won't be able to!!)  I will be the first to admit that we were definitely down this year (athletically and fan-wise)...give yourself a boost!   ;)  I am quite sure that OF was relieved by it since the Bobcats won first place in district. :o

WOS only won district one time out right since 21 3A was formed. I don't understand your point. We were picked to come in 4th place and finished first. That has nothing to do with WOS. I had a daughter playing and of course I support the girls. I just wish the girls had more support. They work just as hard as the boys do. They deserve it win or lose. Thanks for the kind words about our girls. They did have a great season even though it was cut short.

Guest Chaingang Defense

COACHING HAS KILLED WOS. FOR A SCHOOL BEING A FOOTBALL SCHOOL WE'VE HAD SOME GOOD GIRLS TEAMS, BEST 4A TEAM AROUND HERE A FEW YEARS BACK BUT ONCE AGAIN COACHING KILLED THAT.

Guest bleed orange

COACHING HAS KILLED WOS. FOR A SCHOOL BEING A FOOTBALL SCHOOL WE'VE HAD SOME GOOD GIRLS TEAMS, BEST 4A TEAM AROUND HERE A FEW YEARS BACK BUT ONCE AGAIN COACHING KILLED THAT.

I agree, when Brittany James was a senior you guys had the best team in the state by far. This thread is not about that so we need to drop it.

The game's are played and their is always a winner and a loser. That's a given everytime. During the course of the game every team will have missed shots, turnovers and missed defensive assignments.  That's basketball. It's never perfect!! A Ref's duty during the course of a game is to ensure the game is played in a safe manner and the rules of the game are followed on the court. Period!!! It is not for him to pre-determine a course of action if the game played in regulation time did not unfold the way he would have liked it to. The call by the Ref in this case was two fold: 1) he needed to add time back on the clock  2) put Navasota in a position to score during that time (1 second). The question was how he could accomplish this? The only sure way is to call a technical. If the other team does nothing to warrant this then he has to create something. He did what he had to do. He did change the outcome of the game because the game had already been decided before he blew his whistle on the premeditated call (technical)!! He warned the coach about the players on the court and before they could even address the issue he calls the technical. If this had been the HJ Girls I would have had a heart attack, and by all means the OF fans and players have the right to complain and vent. It still bothers me this happened to OF, so I can only imagine how they still feel.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn