deer and alligator

Allright, i get this email seriously twice a week. So i did some research on it because i'm tired of people saying it's lake conroe. I know lake conroe well and can tell it not, figured i'd share the press release from the NFWS on this issue.

Alligator Takes Deer to Lunch in South Georgia

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 23, 2004

Contacts:

Tom MacKenzie, (404) 679-7291 , cell: (678) 296-6400 

The sight of a 12 to 14 foot-long alligator is something south Georgia folks see occasionally, but few have seen one take an adult deer out to lunch. Actually -- for lunch.

The photographs of this deer-eating alligator were taken from the air by Terri Jenkins, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service District Fire Management Officer. She was preparing to ignite a prescribed fire at Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, on March 4, 2004. The photo has

“One advantage of fire work is you get to see that 12-14 footers are common from Santee National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina to Coastal South Carolina to Georgia’s coast,†said Jenkins. “It looks like the alligator population is doing extremely well.â€

This one was at least 12-13 feet long. Jenkins said that some bull alligators have a 35 inch girth.

The Service uses a helicopter capable of igniting controlled burns by dropping flaming fuel-filled ping pong balls on pre-selected areas. She works throughout parts of North Carolina, South Carolina and Coastal Georgia refuges and fish hatcheries. The Service uses prescribed fire to improve habitat and reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires.

If you’re a deer hunter, the refuge hosts an archery hunt on September 15-17, 2004 and a gun hunt November 19, 2004 (only 150 permits will be issued). For more information, and to obtain an application, visit:

This is the hidden content, please
Applications must be received by August 31, 2004 at Savannah Coastal Refuges, 1000 Business Center Drive, Parkway Business Center, Suite 10, Savannah, Georgia, 31405.

The alligator will not be charged with hunting deer out of season, animal cruelty, or any one of several possible water quality violations. He may, however, be charged with being one mean gator. If we could catch him... Or wanted to...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on the photo for 300dpi image, right click and save

Photos are free, public domain and available to the public.

Credit photos to Terri Jenkins, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I SAW TH ONE ABOUT THE GREAT WHITE SHARK THIS WEEKEND. iF YOU LOOK AT THE BODY SHAPE AND COLOR AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE TEETH, THAT IS A MAKO NOT A GREAT WHITE.  aLSO GREAT WHITES ARE COLD WATER FISH THE GULF OF MEXICO IS TO WARM FOR THEM SO THE GULF DOESN'T GET ANY GREAT WHITES.  wE DO THOUGH HAVE PLENTY OF MAKO TO GO AROUND BUT NOT SHALLOW ENOUGH FOR A SHRIMPER TO FIND.  yOU GOTTA BE OUT DEEP IN THE TUNA WATERS TO PLAY WITH THE MAKO'S USUALLY.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder