3ABaseball.com Article on BC's Casey Jackson

Guest Orangeboy

Guest Orangeboy

BC's Version of the Mighty Casey

In 2006, the Bridge City Cardinals were excited about their upcoming year.  They had highly touted pitcher Kevin Angelle who was considered one of the top pitchers in the state.  They also had Johnny Dishon, a speedy junior outfielder with pop in his bat who was considered one of the top juniors at the 3A level.  But that year, a young sophomore catcher for the Cardinals named Casey Jackson turned just as many heads with his great defensive play and his power at the plate.

Bridge City made it all the way to the state tournament that year and was ranked #1 in the 3A Baseball Poll at the time.  However, they ran into a hot Texarkana Liberty-Eylau team and came up short in the state semifinal game.   

Casey was a big reason for Bridge City’s success and he finished his sophomore year with 10 HR’s, 47 RBI’s, and a .398 Avg.  Not only was he a weapon at the plate but he also earned respect for his strong arm after cutting down several runners attempting to steal on him.   He was named to the 24-3A All-District squad as a 1st Team Catcher and also made the TWSA All-State team as a 2nd Team catcher.

Expectations were high for the Bridge City backstop the next season until he noticed a pain in his right shoulder during a winter baseball camp.  It was discovered that he had inflammation in his rotator cuff and that he would have to take it easy on the arm for the 2007 season.  This was disturbing news to the young man who loved catching and had played the position since his coach-pitch league days as a young boy.

Casey then became the Cardinal DH and played some 1B.  It started out as a very frustrating year as he was not having as good a year with the bat and he really missed catching.  Then in late March, he was cleared to get behind the plate.  It made all the difference.  “It felt good to get back in the game as the catcher,†Casey said.  “As a DH, it was hard for me to get into the game and get a rhythm going.  When I started catching again it helped me mentally at the plate because I was more into the game.â€

Casey’s bat began getting hot again as Bridge City started the playoffs.  The Cardinals beat Splendora, Wharton, and Needville and then faced the #1 ranked and undefeated Carthage Bulldogs in the Regional Semi-Finals.  Casey and the Cardinals were not intimidated but were very motivated to beat the team that had beaten Bridge City two years before in the state semi-final game.  Bridge City was up to the task and beat the Bulldogs in two games, 6-2, 4-2. 

“We had two of our best games all year against Carthage,†Jackson explained.  “Our defense was superb, our hitting was timely and our pitching was great.  We were just screaming after the game.  We really celebrated.â€

The next week Bridge City faced 21-3A foe Jasper in the Regional Finals.  It was a series that Bridge City wanted to win.  "We wanted them badly," Jackson said.  "They had won the district championship.  It was the first time in 6 years that Bridge City had not won district."  Jasper won the first game 8-6 but Bridge City bounced back and won game 2 by the same score.  In Game 3, with game tied at 1-1, Jasper scored a run in the bottom of the 6th to go ahead and then held Bridge City scoreless in the top of the seventh to win the game 2-1.  Jasper advanced to the state tournament where they eventually were crowned state champions.

It was a great year for the Cardinals and for Jackson.  Despite the slow start due to the injury, Jackson still finished the year with 4 HRs, 14 2Bs, 34 RBIs, and a .381 Avg.  He earned 2nd Team All-State Catcher recognition on both the THSBCA and TWSA all-state teams. 

What's ahead for Jackson and the Cardinals in 2008?  "We have a young team but have great talent," said Jackson.  "Our sophomores will especially be good.  And even though we are younger, we know what we want.  We know how to battle."

As for himself, Jackson is taking on more of a leadership role this year.  Only 2 senior starters return for the Cardinals and the young guys, though talented, have little or no experience at the varsity level.  "I do a lot more encouraging and talking this year," he explained.   "I have been around here awhile and I know what Coach Bryant wants.  I especially help the younger guys line up defensively."

Casey is also excited about being full time catcher again.  Though his shoulder does not feel 100% it does feel good enough to throw runners out.  And he expects that being full time catcher will help him at the plate as well.  "I want to hit the ball even better this year when I'm at the plate," Casey said.  "It's my senior year and I want it to be my best year."

Bridge City is returning only 4 starters this year but they seem to always have a good group of players waiting to step up and rise to the occasion.  It was just two years ago that a young sophomore catcher named Casey Jackson stepped up and performed as a key player.  Now in 2008. the Cardinals will ride the Mighty Casey's bat, arm, and leadership and hope some of the young guys will rise to the occasion that has been become part of the Bridge City baseball tradition.

I agree alot with this article!!! I had the opportunity to watch The Carthage playoff games...where Jackson was supurb! His bat was great!!

Then i also had the chance to watch him play against Jasper the following playoff games where everyone could tell how much his shoulder was effecting his game, because he had a few bad and very critical throws to first base! that could have been the difference in one of those games!

I also belive that Jasper vs BC was the state championship game! They were the best two teams in the state! With Carthage right behide those to! If they would have had a little bit better bats they would have won state hands down because they had the pitching!!!

But all in all i think Jackson is a very great baseball player, cant wait to see him in this upcoming year!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124