2008 WO-S Schedule

Thank You Texans!!  Some people acutally do think they know everything!!  I don't think that there is any possible way WOS will have a loss in the first 11 games of the year, but if they do it could ONLY be Nederland!!  That is DEFINATELY the worst schedule that WOS has ever had and if they don't walk through it I would be shocked!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You Texans!!  Some people acutally do think they know everything!!  I don't think that there is any possible way WOS will have a loss in the first 11 games of the year, but if they do it could ONLY be Nederland!!  That is DEFINATELY the worst schedule that WOS has ever had and if they don't walk through it I would be shocked!!

Any possible way??? I wouldn't look past my Tigers from Silsbee. ;D

Well at least we likely will not have to go up against two top 5 ranked teams in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs over the next 2 years unless something drastically improves in 22-3A and 24-3A.  Navasota is supposed to be very good next year, but they are almost guaranteed to be going Division 1. 

The U.I.L. has actually been extremely nice to us for a change in where we likely will be in the playoff bracket.  The way it is looking we will be the shoe-in for the top district seed in the D2 playoffs as Silsbee will go D1 unless there are some major upsets.  That will have us most likely going up against the runner up in the still very weak District 22 in the Bi-District round.  Since the U.I.L. made District 23 the BYE district and not District 24, we should only have to face the runnerup team from District 24 in the Area round of the playoffs.  Our luck will run out should we again advance to the 3rd round as we would then likely have to face the winner between the champ of 17-3A (Gilmer or Tatum) and 19-3A (Waco La Vega?)

Long story short, the top seed from 21-3A in the D2 playoffs is guaranteed to not have to face another top district seed until the 3rd round of the playoffs at the very earliest.

Region III playoff bracket in D2 

17-3A Champ plays 18-3A Runnerup

19-3A Champ plays 20-3A Runnerup

21-3A Champ plays 22-3A Runnerup

23-3A Champ (bye) plays 24-3A Runnerup

Since 23-3A is a bye district the 24-3A Runnerup will play the winner of 21-3A champ vs. 22-3A runnerup in the 2nd round

17-3A Runnerup plays 18-3A Champ

19-3A Runnerup plays 20-3A Champ

21-3A Runnerup plays 22-3A Champ

23-3A Runnerup (bye) plays 24-3A Champ

Since 23-3A is a bye, the 24-3A Champ will play the winner of 21-3A runnerup vs. 22-3A champ in the 2nd round

Navasota is the 3rd largest in their district so will probaby go small school.

Navasota is the 3rd largest in their district so will probaby go small school.

I don't think it's very likely at all that Navasota will go small school, even though they are only the 3rd largest.  There are 4 schools smaller than Navasota including:

(1) '07 District 19-3A Champion Madisonville

(2) '07 Area finalist Caldwell (who went 9-1 in the regular season only losing to Giddings)

(3) '07 Playoff qualifier Rockdale (who played State champ Liberty Hill it's closest game of the year only losing by 8 pts, and then only losing to state finalist China Spring by 3 pts in the playoffs)

(4) '07 Playoff qualifier Cameron Yoe who has tons of tradition and is supposed to be much stronger this year

The two teams larger than Navasota are:

(1) Taylor, who went 4-6 and 2-8 the past two years

(2) Bryan Rudder - a brand new school.  In 2008 their varsity team will consist of 9th-11th graders only.

Take it easy on my now little 2A K-Cats.  Why did my 2A K-Cats schedule the unbeatable 'Stangs in non-district?  WOS 'Stangs hasn't lost to a sub 4A team in a regular season in how many years now?  INCREDIBLE! 

Since our very 1st game after dropping down...  Jasper gave us a nice welcome to 3A in Week 0 2004.

Take it easy on my now little 2A K-Cats.  Why did my 2A K-Cats schedule the unbeatable 'Stangs in non-district?  WOS 'Stangs hasn't lost to a sub 4A team in a regular season in how many years now?  INCREDIBLE! 

Since our very 1st game after dropping down...  Jasper gave us a nice welcome to 3A in Week 0 2004.

oh, i remember that jasper game now... I saw the streaks on your signature>>> 20 consecutive wins against Orange and Jefferson county teams

27 consecutive district game wins

So what is the winning streak of non-playoff games versus sub 4A teams (3A-2A teams) over that span?  Who has WOS lost to since they dropped to 3A?  Non-district, district, playoff games?  IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST OVER A FOUR YEAR PERIOD IN THE STATE!!!

So what is the winning streak of non-playoff games versus sub 4A teams (3A-2A teams) over that span?  Who has WOS lost to since they dropped to 3A?  Non-district, district, playoff games?  IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST OVER A FOUR YEAR PERIOD IN THE STATE!!!

We've won 25 consecutive regular season games against sub-4A opponents and we're 31-1 all-time with the 2 pt loss to Jasper in '04 being the only loss.

Since dropping to 3A WO-S has gone 41-7-0 including going 10-2 against 4A opponents and 31-5 against 3A opponents

Both 4A losses came at the hands of Bay City

The 5 3A losses came at the hands of  '05 State Champ Wimberley, '04 State Finalist Jasper, '06 Quarterfinalist Giddings, '07 Quarterfinalist Waco La Vega, and '04 Region Semifinalist Huffman.

I had to look it up to back up my above statement, but here it is for the last 20 years of area high school football, and teams that played in final game

2005 2A Newton Lost

2004 2A Newton Lost

2004 3A Jasper  Lost

2000 4A WOS    Lost

1999 4A PNG    Lost

1998 4A WOS    Lost

1997 4A WOS  WON

1-6 in title games for area teams the last 20 years. Not very good for Golden Triangle football. This shows just how strong Texas high school football is, and the low percentage of even making it to the title game is.

Just one. A playcaller.

Has it been the same play caller for all four years after dropping down to 3A which is a time period that WOS hasn't won a state championship even though dropping down in class?  Is it really the same playcaller for all four years?  Just curious.  And if you don't like the current play caller are you then stating that Coach Hooks doesn't know how to hire coaches and give out responsibilities?  If so, then you are really questioning Coach Hooks' ability to manage his coaches and his team aren't you?  Just a thought.

Guest Chaingang Defense

Just one. A playcaller.

Has it been the same play caller for all four years after dropping down to 3A which is a time period that WOS hasn't won a state championship even though dropping down in class?  Is it really the same playcaller for all four years?  Just curious.  And if you don't like the current play caller are you then stating that Coach Hooks doesn't know how to hire coaches and give out responsibilities?  If so, then you are really questioning Coach Hooks' ability to manage his coaches and his team aren't you?  Just a thought.

YOU ARE CORRECT ON BOTH ACCOUNTS SIR!

I had to look it up to back up my above statement, but here it is for the last 20 years of area high school football, and teams that played in final game

2005 2A Newton Lost

2004 2A Newton Lost

2004 3A Jasper  Lost

2000 4A WOS    Lost

1999 4A PNG     Lost

1998 4A WOS    Lost

1997 4A WOS   WON

1-6 in title games for area teams the last 20 years. Not very good for Golden Triangle football. This shows just how strong Texas high school football is, and the low percentage of even making it to the title game is.

1987 & 1988 for wos.Not '97 '98.

Just one. A playcaller.

YOU ARE CORRECT ON BOTH ACCOUNTS SIR!

So YOU are dogging Coach Hooks!  That's blasphemous!  I am starting to see a chink in the armor of the mighty stangs!

2005 2A Newton Lost

2004 2A Newton Lost

2004 3A Jasper  Lost

2000 4A WOS    Lost

1999 4A PNG     Lost

1998 4A WOS    Lost

1997 4A WOS   WON

Newton won state in 1998 & 2005.  Newton lost in the state final in 2004.

2005 2A Newton WON

2004 2A Newton Lost

2004 3A Jasper  Lost

2001 1A Burkeville WON

2000 4A WOS    Lost

2000 1A Burkeville Lost

1999 4A PNG     Lost

1998 3A Newton WON

1988 4A WOS    Lost

1987 4A WOS   WON

1986 4A WOS WON

1986 1A Burkeville WON

1984 5A Beaumont French TIED

1982 5A Beaumont West Brook WON

1980 5A TJ lost

1979 1A Hull-Daisetta WON

1977 4A PNG lost

1976 3A Beaumont Hebert WON

1976 1A Barbers Hill WON

1975 4A PNG WON

1974 2A Newton WON

1971 1A Barbers Hill TIED

1-6 in title games for area teams the last 20 years.

You forgot Burkeville who lost in the 1A title game against Stratford in 2000, then won it the next year...

Still..    3-6 isn't much better... especially  considering that the area went 9-2-2 in title games from 1971-1987.  That's almost averaging one appearance in the state finals per year for SE Texas (13 times in 17 years)

My bad, I didn't see Burkeville. I must have read it wrong on several of them. I think alot of it has to do with so many more schools since the mid 80's along with a huge population growth in all of Texas except for the Golden Triangle which has declined since that time. It's going to take a special team with a little luck to get to the final game in the 3A-5A divisions because of so many quality teams.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami