BC Varsity

eagle12

Isn’t J. Dillon in basketball still?  And does that effect the guys trying to make a team to be tied up with basketball until next week and not able to participate in tryouts, practices and scrimmages?

Also, I know Hicks is a pitcher, but who else will be in the rotation? 

Guest Orangeboy

I know when I was in school, when we had starters from the previous year in b-ball it gave the coach a chance to look at some younger players and gave them an opportunity to make a good impression. Sometimes they did and sometimes they showed that they weren't ready.  Life is all about taking advantage of opportunities when they arise.

pitching will be 1. hicks 2. jason clark, after that  you've got dillon who has a good arm and breaux who also can throw hard, and then cessac and snyder and maybe hubbard.  after 1 and 2 i think they are all even, because they have decent arm strength but lack in pitch diversity and really need to develop some movement.  cessac has ok stuff and snyder has a 12-6 curveball.  people think we lost a lot, not really as far as pitching DEPTH goes, we only lack in experience, stringer and meeks were awesome to have as leaders on the mound.

bc will be fine.  they just need to play a lot of people early, and coach bryant with laird and moore are always rotating guys and looking for new talent early in a season

Isn’t J. Dillon in basketball still?  And does that effect the guys trying to make a team to be tied up with basketball until next week and not able to participate in tryouts, practices and scrimmages?

Also, I know Hicks is a pitcher, but who else will be in the rotation? 

Eagle12 to answer your question, I think it does.  Or in some schools I believe it does effect kids that play multiple sports.  If you are already established on Varsity, it should not, but then again it does in some cases.  Anyway, if you play football, then you miss out on the basketball tryouts, and if you play basketball, then you miss the baseball tryouts.  It is (as my son is finding out) a wise decision to choose what you like best and stick with it.  Mine likes all sports and is good in them, but will most probably opt to not play basketball after this year so he can be in on the baseball tryouts and scrimmages from the beginning.  Just the nature of the beast,  and coaches wanting kids to go year round in a certain sport.  Not sure who all on the basketball team will try out for the baseball team, but do know there are several who were already on varsity last year, so they should definately make the varsity squad.

kids should play as many sports as they want and are good at, no substitute for those memories once you graduate.  and in the case of baseball/basketball basketball...especially in bc doesnt ever run into district which is the season that counts, therefore early on if you have kids in basketball you get a better opportunity to evaluate talent in the  nondistrict and scrimmage schedule, before basketball is over

how in the world would a freshman ALREADY be practicing and playing with varsity so soon?  not even is he a hot hopeful.   Oh my bad he is the coache's nephew. oh well the new sophmores seem to be doing good.  so hope for a good season

I agree with you rowdy-seems a little soon if at all that he should be practicing with them. There are also a few good baseball players on the basketball team right now that should have a great opportunity on the varsity team!

Yeah I agree, the only way I won't be dissapointed is if he has his time on the Frehman team once basketball's over, I think he's  good enough to participate in the Varsity Schrimmages, but if he makes the team once basketball's over that would be crazy..Sorry but this kid is nowhere near the talent level Matt Hicks and Joseph Robertson were last year and that's just the facts..Joseph didn't even start the season on Varsity like this kid is, I think Joe's first look was at the Lumberton Schrimmage and we all know how great of a season Joe had..so this nephew must be the next Barry Bonds or something I guess... ::):D 8) :-*

I will go ahead and address this issue to the whole. I talked to one patron of this website privately about this and he seemed to get it. Now that it is baseball season the nay sayers and ignorant will crawl out of the woodworks and voice their comical opinions. Comical not because it is negative somewhat towards my family but because of the reasoning.

First of all, Dylan is a person just like any other. I see no reason to try and belittle another for pure self satisfaction. But hey, this is Bridge City. You have to expect it and just roll with it I guess. He has every right to be allowed to try and make the varsity team. Despite his affiliation with the coach, if he can be steady in the field, solid at the plate, and trusted to play the game at a high intellectual level, then he deserves to be there. Despite what some think, it will actually be harder for him to make the team. Just for the very reason that we see in the last few posts. Why don't you just wait until the season begins. If he is allowed to be on the varsity and performs the way you think he will, then come on here and play the "nephew card". You would have every justification in the world to do that. If he does go out there and plays at a varsity level, then congratulate him along with the others and support the team.

Or just keep coming on here and post ridiculous crap. Keep guesssing, based on one post it seems to be the backbone to their logic.

If he can play up to the level of Hicks and Robertson did last year then he has every right to be on Varsity, but if he can't he should just be a starter on the Freshman team. By having him be the only Freshman on the Varsity the coaches must think he must be the best out of his class, but I can name a couple of kids better than him, but I'll save it for now..

Okay, gotta put my two cents in!  First of all, I don't think the whole team has been picked yet (varsity) from what the boys I talk to are saying.  But more importantly, in my opinion, it doesn't matter what grade a kid is in, or I don't think it should in high school sports, but what should be first and foremost is the athletic ability in any given sport.  If a freshman or sophomore can outplay a junior or senior, then they get the spot.  And I don't think there should be any edge given to an older athlete, simply because they are in a higher grade.  Play the kids on their ability, end of story.  But again, that's my opinion.  I think there are some coaches that to be "politically correct" , they will play the senior over lower grades, even though you have a much better athlete in the younger kid, he will get his day later.  I think that for any program to have any success, you have to play the best athletes you have thus build on the ability of the best, and if that happens to be a younger kid, look what you will have by the time this one is a senior.  I guess what I mean to say in a nutshell is that high school teams should be about the best athletes, regardless of what grade and coaches have to have the intelligence to pick those best players and play them.  That being said, let Coach Bryant pick his best 15 athletes and play ball!

Guest Orangeboy

There have been 2 other freshmen Coach Bryant has looked at so far this year. Last time I checked it wasn't illegal for a guy to just look at what these kids can do at a higher level. All 3 including his nephew have been practicing with the freshmen, so get over yourselves. Like many of you have said there are 4 quality guys who have been missing time due to basketball and he has to give some more kids a look.

If he can play up to the level of Hicks and Robertson did last year then he has every right to be on Varsity, but if he can't he should just be a starter on the Freshman team. By having him be the only Freshman on the Varsity the coaches must think he must be the best out of his class, but I can name a couple of kids better than him, but I'll save it for now..

I thought surely that after seeing the first post of this mindset that you would realize what you were saying. Then you say it again so I feel like it needs to be pointed out to you. The team should be made up of the best x number of players that year. You judge on what you see before you at that moment collectively over the next several weeks. Teams change each year due to graduation and people transferring in. The talent bar, so to speak, changes along with it. It may lower, rise, or stay the same. Don't know until they get on the field and do their thing. What if only 6 players perform to that level you speak of? Should Bridge City call off the season because the kids they have now don't perform to the level that 1 or 2 did a year ago? What if the 2 that you speak of don't perform as well as they did last year. Does that mean that they should not be on varsity as well? Don't quite know where you are coming from? Like you said earlier, you are just guessing!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami