Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold Team

Super Gold: Baseball

The Enterprise

06/23/2006

Kevin Angelle stepped off the mound and walked over to first base, not knowing if he'd get the chance to win a gold medal. The Bridge City standout had thrown five-plus innings in the Class 3A state semifinals against Texarkana Liberty-Eylau on June 7, but his pitch count had climbed to 102, and his left arm was close to finished - so, like he'd done all year, Angelle put his trust in his teammates.

Liberty-Eylau outlasted the Cardinals, who had to settle for bronze. It was, however, the second straight trip to the state tourney for Bridge City, which hadn't been there since winning it all in 1992.

Angelle, a senior left-hander who finished with a 12-1 record and a 1.77 earned run average, still has plenty to look forward to.

He had signed to play at Texas A&M, where he would have been a teammate with another Super Gold team member, LC-M pitcher/outfielder Clayton Ehlert.

But when Angelle thought he might go higher in the Major League Baseball amateur draft, he started to re-think his future. He could go pro if the selection (and signing bonus) were high enough. If he didn't, he could go to a junior college and be eligible for the draft again next year. Otherwise, if he went to a Division I school like A&M, he'd have to wait until after his 21st birthday.

In the end, Angelle latched on with San Jacinto Junior College, and the Texas Rangers selected Angelle in the 13th round.

1. The season's over, you've been drafted and you have the chance to go to San Jacinto. Do you know what you're going to do yet?

"Right now I'm going to go to San Jacinto. It's going to be a draft-and-follow thing. Basically (the Rangers) have the rights to me up until one week before next year's draft. So that's what I'm going to try to do. I heard that if any money gets freed up, that they'll give me the money that I need to skip college.

2. What was the best moment of the season for you?

"Probably beating Cameron Yoe to go to the state tournament. All we needed to do was win one more. We came out and scored early in the first inning. Then they came back and scored two in the bottom half. After that, our pitchers - Broc Haymon and Phillip Meeks- shut 'em down. Our catcher, Casey Jackson - he's a sophomore - had a huge hit; he got a three-run double with two outs. We tacked on two more runs.

"Meeks came in and got the last two outs of the sixth. They ended up scoring a run, and they loaded the bases with one out in the seventh. I remembered they fouled out for the next out, and Phillip struck out the last guy on a full count. ... We didn't do a dog pile. It was kind of all business."

3. If there was one thing about this last year you had to do again, what would it be and why?

"Oh, wow. Probably the state semifinal game. I'd like to have that one back. I didn't really have control of my pitches. All I could really throw was my fastball. Every once in a while I could throw the curve. But I'd like to have that game back. ... It was a surprise to me. It seemed like everything was working in the bullpen (before the game)."

4. Obviously, quite a few scouts have already written reports about you. If you were writing a scouting report about yourself, what would it say?

"They've said I was 'a baby Andy Pettitte' - a tall left-hander who's got a pretty live fastball and a good curveball. They say I'm 'projectable,' as far as what I might be able to do in the future."

5. Who was your toughest opponent this year and why?

"I'd have to say it was Nederland. Those guys were pretty good. We wound up beating them 4-1, but they had a bunch of good hitters. They were hitting it hard, but they were hitting it right at people."

6. If you could be a cartoon superhero, who would it be and why?

"Superman. Everybody knows the deal about Superman. He's invincible. I mean, except for the kryptonite thing."

SUPER GOLD BASEBALL TEAM 2006

MVP: Kevin Angelle, Bridge City

Coaches of the Year: Billy Bryant, Bridge City; Steve Griffith, LC-M

FIRST TEAM

Pitchers

Clayton Ehlert, LC-M

Zach Harwood, PN-G

Joel Schooling, Silsbee

Matison Smith, Nederland

Catchers

Casey Jackson, Bridge City

Jake Rowell, LC-M

Infielders

Will Alvis, Jasper

John Michael Falgout, West Brook

Tim Ferguson, West Brook

Chris Laird, Nederland

Wes Schneider, LC-M

Outfielders

Rocky Calhoun, Silsbee

Johnny Dishon, Bridge City

Joey Johnson, Hamshire-Fannett

Mark Serna, West Brook

Utility

Landon Womack, LC-M

SECOND TEAM

Pitchers

Eric Neal, Hamshire-Fannett

Broc Haymon, Bridge City

Branden Powell, PN-G

Braeden Riley, Woodville

Catchers

Cody Hussey, Lumberton

Justin Baker, Kountze

Infielders

Kenny Allison, Central

Derrick Coleman, Bridge City

Scott Haggard, Orangefield

Aaron Lemoine, LC-M

David Murphy, West Brook

Outfielders

Patrick Fobbs, Central

Deron Minor, Ozen

Micah Mosley, Nederland

Trevor Rainey, Woodville

Utility

Josh Gardiner, Ozen

ALL-DISTRICT TEAMS

DISTRICT 22-5A

First Team

West Brook: John Michael Falgout, Sr., 1B; Tim Ferguson, Jr., 2B; David Murphy, Jr., SS; Mark Serna, Jr., OF

Second Team

West Brook: Thad Lycan, So., 3B; Bobby Armstrong, Jr., OF; Josiah Svoboda, So., P

Memorial: Marcus Freeman, Sr., SS

Honorable Mention

West Brook: Matt Calvert, Sr., OF; Marcus Doubt, Sr., P

DISTRICT 20-4A

Co-MVPs: Clayton Ehlert, LC-M; Chris Laird, Nederland

Newcomer of the Year: Eric Harrington, PN-G

Coach of the Year: Steve Griffith, LC-M

First Team

Pitchers: Branden Powell, PN-G; Matison Smith, Nederland; Beau Helmke, Nederland; Zack Harwood, PN-G; Cody Mire, PN-G

First baseman: Landon Womack, LC-M

Second baseman: Aaron Lemoine, LC-M

Third baseman: Kenny Allison, Central

Shortstop: Wes Schneider, LC-M

Catcher: Jake Rowell, LC-M

Outfielders: Kyle Cassidy, LC-M; Micah Mosley, Nederland; Deron Minor, Ozen; Patrick Fobbs, Central

Utility: Josh Gardiner, Ozen

Designated hitter: Jack Morrison, Vidor

Second Team

Pitchers: Jerrod Dugas, LC-M; Taylor McInnis, PN-G; Kyle Adams, LC-M; Deston James, Ozen; Cameron Alexander, Central

First baseman: Stephen McDonough, Lumberton

Second baseman: Corey LeMaire, Lumberton

Third baseman: Jason White, Lumberton

Shortstop: V.J. Bunner, Vidor

Catcher: Cody Hussey, Lumberton

Utility: Slayde Martin, LC-M;

Designated hitter: Quenton Thompson, Ozen

Outfielders: Shawn Flores, PN-G; Darby Chilek, Lumberton; Garrett McLeod, Nederland; Taylor Robichau, Vidor; Keko McGalin, Lumberton

DISTRICT 22-3A

MVP: Joel Schooling, Silsbee

Newcomer Of The Year: Kevin McDonald, Silsbee

First Team

Pitchers: Will Alvis, Jasper; Drew Hazlewood, Kirbyville; Jacob Greenhouse, Shepherd

Catcher: Colby Hargrave, Silsbee

Infielders: Robert Gilbert, Jasper; Ryan Ellis, Jasper; Taylor Hart, Jasper; Zach Hubbard, Shepherd; Peter Sheppard, Buna

Outfielders: Rocky Calhoun, Silsbee; Leslie Hopkins, Shepherd; Cade Reeves, Kirbyville; Brandon Kines, Jasper; Randy Musgrove, Kirbyville

Designated Hitter: Keith Sewell, Coldspring

Utility Player: Ralph Swan, Shepherd

Coach Of The Year: Todd Trawhon, Silsbee

Second Team

Pitchers: Charles Alders, Coldspring; Justin Parsons, Jasper; Calvin Gauthier, Buna

Catcher: Robert Shellhammer, Jasper

Infielders: Keith Flowers, Silsbee; Alex Meng, Shepherd; Blake Moss, Silsbee; Bradlee Adams, Kirbyville; Kolt Browder, Coldspring

Outfielders: Craig Forse, Silsbee; Rodney Daigle, Silsbee; Blake Weller-Alexander, Jasper; Brian Zielisko, Coldspring

Honorable Mention:

Buna: Jordy Morgan, Brandon Hillin

Kirbyville: Aaron Hazlewood, Bo Parker

Shepherd: Seth Hubbard, Hayden Crowder

Silsbee: Josh Skinner, Steven Steed

Coldspring: Ricky Revilla, Jason Scott

DISTRICT 24-3A

MVP: Kevin Angelle, Sr., Bridge City

Offensive Player of the Year: Derrick Coleman, Sr., Bridge City

Defensive Player of the Year: Joey Johnson, Sr., Hamshire-Fannett

Newcomer of the Year: Troy Bolton, Jr., Bridge City

Co-Coaches of the Year: Billy Bryant, Bridge City; Chad Landry, Hamshire-Fannett; Todd Moses, Hardin-Jefferson

First Team

Pitcher: Broc Haymon, Sr., Bridge City; Tommy Roebuck, Sr., Hardin-Jefferson; Eric Neal, Sr., Hamshire-Fannett; Zack Peevey, Fr., Orangefield

Catcher: Casey Jasckson, So., Bridge City

First baseman: Scott Haggard, Sr., Orangefield

Second baseman: Nathan Ricossa, Sr., Hardin-Jefferson

Shortstop: Ronnie Teran, Sr., Anahuac

Third baseman: A.J. Hecker, Sr., Bridge City

Outfielders: Johnny Dishon, Jr., Bridge City; Cody Sparks, Sr., Bridge City; Randall Courville, So., Hamshire-Fannett; Tyler Benson, Sr., Hardin-Jefferson

Designated hitter: Nick Ayers, Sr., WO-S

Utility: Eric Sparks, Sr., WO-S

Second Team

Pitcher: Matt Faul, Sr., Orangefield; Spencer Cuniff, Hamshire-Fannett; Michael Lange, Hamshire-Fannett; Taylor Monse, So., Hardin-Jefferson; Damon Ritter, Jr., Anahuac

Catcher: Kelby Shandy Kirby, Jr., Anahuac

First baseman: Tim Baker, Sr., Hardin-Jefferson

Second baseman: Possum LeFleur, So., Orangefield

Shortstop: Wesley Underwood, Sr., Hamshire-Fannett

Third baseman: Cody Caples, Sr., Orangefield; Derek Ferguson, Jr., Hardin-Jefferson

Outfielders: Tim McClelland, Sr., WO-S; Kevin Roebuck, So., Hardin-Jefferson; Zack Smith, Sr., Anahuac; Brett Ramsey, Jr., Orangefield

Designated hitter: Lane Helveston, So., Hardin-Jefferson

DISTRICT 23-2A

MVP: Braeden Riley, Jr., Woodville

Newcomer of the Year: Trey Ford, Fr., Woodville

Coach of the Year: Neil Hennigan, Woodville

First Team

Pitchers: Logan Alec, Sr., Woodville; Dallas Gallant, Jr., Trinity; Trevor Drayton, Jr., Corrigan-Camden; Micheal Harbers, Sr., Trinity

Catcher: Evan Fortenberry, Sr., Woodville

Infielders: Josh Ivey, Fr., Trinity; Jordan O'Neal, Sr., Woodville; Daniel Spivey, Sr., Woodville; Lance Hickman, Jr., Trinity; Rashard Colquitt, Jr., Corrigan-Camden

Outfielders: Trevor Rainey, Sr., Woodville; Taylor Thompson, So., Woodville; Brandon O'Brien, Sr., New Waverly; Levi West, Jr., Warren

Utility: Colter Perry, Sr., Corrigan-Camden

Designated hitter: Nick Myers, So., Corrigan-Camden

Second Team

Pitchers: Kenny Granger, Jr., Warren; Jarred McKee, So., Trinity

Catcher: Zack West, Sr., Warren; Gary Balanoskie, So., New Waverly

Infielders: Stevie Olivaras, Sr., Corrigan-Camden; Trey Babino, Jr., Warren; Micah Hoevelman, So., Trinity; Jordan McKee, Fr., Trinity

Outfielders: Joel Gentz, Sr., Woodville; Damien Horse, So., Corrigan-Camden; Cole Thornton, Jr., Trinity; Chris Wilkerson, Sr., New Waverly

DISTRICT 24-2A

Co-MVPs: Kelby Clements, Jr., Hardin; Cody Walker, Sr., Newton

Co-Offensive Players of the Year: Drew Johnston, Sr., Newton; Paul Winger, Sr., Kountze

Co-Defensive Players of the Year: Travis Hundall, Sr., Hardin; John Stephenson, Sr., East Chambers

Co-Pitchers of the Year: Casey Luna, Sr., Newton; Darrell Martin, Jr., Deweyville

Newcomer of the Year: Trey Lambert, Fr., East Chambers

Utility Player of the Year: Casey Zamarripa, Sr., Hardin

First Team

Pitcher: Justin Devillier, So., East Chambers

Catcher: Justin Baker, Jr., Kountze

Infielders: Brian Tristan, Jr., Hardin; Davin Lafitte, Sr., Newton; Daniel King, Sr., Newton; Ethan Williams, Jr., Deweyville

Outfielders: Thomas Wolcott, So., Kountze; Dale Pitts, So., Hardin; Dylan Flanigan, So., Newton; John Rutherford, Jr., East Chambers

Second Team

Catcher: Seth Williams, Fr., Deweyville

Infielders: Seth Duhon, So., East Chambers; Brett Solomon, Sr., Deweyville; Stephen Gerhard, Fr., Kountze; Kevin Goldman, Jr., Deweyville; Jordan Nolan, So., Hardin; Cody Gavard, Sr., East Chambers

Outfielders: Jake Rhodes, So., Kountze; James Birch, Fr., Newton; Brian Brown, Sr., West Hardin; Lance Anderson, Jr., East Chambers

©The Beaumont Enterprise 2006

Good group of players and congrats to all who made it.

Also note that there are 7 1st teams who are returning next year, as well as a ton of players named to their respective All District teams. Should be another great year of SE Texas baseball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124