EXTRA POINTS AND 4th QUARTER PLAY CALLING FOR WOS

Guest Chaingang Defense

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000, sounds like everyone is supporting you.  I am still waiting on your play.  Where is it 2000.  Maybe you can watch the NFL game tonight and hope to come up with one.  Maybe when your kid comes through high school, they will get to play because it surely sounds like you are upset because you did not play or you think you got slighted on a scholarship.  You not getting a scholarship has nothing to do with the coaches either.  It is your ability.  Thank goodness, these kids on this team seem to be good kids and a number of them will probably get to go on to continue their education and career.  That is what it is all about.  Turning young men into productive citizens.  They seem to be doing that pretty well (ex. Kids at UT, A&M, Missouri, Tech, and many others)  I guess you will now say that with all of that talent, WOS should have won state by now.  Ok I will fix that before you even say it.  Look at the college rosters.  Kids come from every other high school also.  Not every team can win a state championship.  Someone has to lose.  Even the likes of Southlake Carroll can lose.  I guess it is the coach at Carroll also?  The old coach went up a level and look what happened to him.  University of Nebraska's coach took a team to the Super Bowl, and he just got fired.  Did he become a bad coach.  Give me a break.  It takes breaks and luck to win it all.  Everyone has talent.  It takes talent, breaks, luck, and alot more to win it all.  But the funny thing is that ie takes all of that to get to the 3rd round also.  Once again, congrats on a great season.  Do not listen to the naysayers, If they knew what they were talking about I promise you they would not be doing the job that they do daily.  If they really cared about you, they would be supporting you in every way.  Not just when you win.  I think I will listen to what Coach Hooks said about the OC.  He is making some great adjustments and doing a great job.

OH I PLAYED. OUR PLAYERS ARE THE BEST AROUND, NEVER SAID THEY WEREN'T. AND THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE THAT FEEL THEY WAY I DO.

How many are coaches? I'm not saying he's good or bad. I don't know. I'm a baseball guy. I think you have to have more information than you are getting in the stands to decide if he is making the calls much less the right calls. I also don't think it's the right thing to do by publicly bashing him in front of his players. For them to be successful they need to believe and or buy into his plan. Your post just makes that a little more difficult.

If you graduated in 2000 you should have your bachelors degree by now even if you followed in my footsteps  ;). Knowing what you and the "TONS OF PEOPLE" know you should be ready for a coaching job. All I can say is I'm glad no one picks my every move apart like you and the "TON OF PEOPLE" do his.

2000, sounds like everyone is supporting you.  I am still waiting on your play.  Where is it 2000.  Maybe you can watch the NFL game tonight and hope to come up with one.  Maybe when your kid comes through high school, they will get to play because it surely sounds like you are upset because you did not play or you think you got slighted on a scholarship.  You not getting a scholarship has nothing to do with the coaches either.  It is your ability.  Thank goodness, these kids on this team seem to be good kids and a number of them will probably get to go on to continue their education and career.  That is what it is all about.  Turning young men into productive citizens.  They seem to be doing that pretty well (ex. Kids at UT, A&M, Missouri, Tech, and many others)  I guess you will now say that with all of that talent, WOS should have won state by now.  Ok I will fix that before you even say it.  Look at the college rosters.  Kids come from every other high school also.  Not every team can win a state championship.  Someone has to lose.  Even the likes of Southlake Carroll can lose.  I guess it is the coach at Carroll also?  The old coach went up a level and look what happened to him.  University of Nebraska's coach took a team to the Super Bowl, and he just got fired.  Did he become a bad coach.  Give me a break.  It takes breaks and luck to win it all.  Everyone has talent.  It takes talent, breaks, luck, and alot more to win it all.  But the funny thing is that ie takes all of that to get to the 3rd round also.  Once again, congrats on a great season.  Do not listen to the naysayers, If they knew what they were talking about I promise you they would not be doing the job that they do daily.  If they really cared about you, they would be supporting you in every way.  Not just when you win.  I think I will listen to what Coach Hooks said about the OC.  He is making some great adjustments and doing a great job.

Let me start by first clarifying that NOT EVERYONE SUPPORTS this opinion.  Our program, coaches, kids are not perfect by any means, but hell, I am a parent of three boys and I can tell you that I am not either.  This loss was just that...a loss.  There is not ONE reason or PERSON or PLAYER who can foot the blame.

You have to think about the fact that our defense made THREE DEFENSIVE STOPS inside the 2"+ yard line which is great.  The downside to that though is that our offense started at those same spots.  That's difficult to do.  Our OC didn't get us there...great defensive playing got us there.  I am tired of hearing the bashing of coaches (not just our OC, but everyone from the bottom until the top,because the playcalling sucked, they don't get these kids scholarships, football gets too much attention and money.  Stop it.  There are questionable plays all of the time... the only time that it gets mentioned is when we lose.  Say these words with me...It's okay to not win.  Our Mustangs can make mistakes without it being any one person's fault.  For all of those people who believe that the coaches don't get enough kids scholarships...reality check...there is more to getting a scholarship than talent alone.  How can anyone expect the coaches to do more than the parents are doing to get them scholarships?  How many scholarship applications or SAT applications have you helped a kid fill out and submit?  It's about more than just how good they are on the field.  As I stated in another thread...whether my boys ever won a game, let alone a championship...these coaches have been their father figure for the last four years (even my youngest who is still in middle school) and not just the football coaches, either.  They have taught them how to be respectable, disciplined, goal-setting/goal-seeking young men...how many people can say that?  Do you know how many young people that these coaches have guided and provided the same life tools to in the past 20 years, for sure?  A LOT!  

You know what perturbs me...all of the "fans" who leave with 2 to 4 minutes left in the game.  Or better yet...how the majority of our fans sit on their behinds until the opposing team's players start waving their arms in an effort to get their fans fired up.  It's pitiful and shameful.  How many of you stayed and gave an encouraging word, a hug, or just a look that displayed empathy as to how disappointed and hurt they were to have played their final football game as Mustangs?  Not enough...I'll tell you that.  What are showing these kids?  You bellyache about the coaches this and the coaches that...you can't even respect the players enough to stay and see out the entire game, encourage them and let them know that you know they are hurt/sad/disappointed, or cheer until the last second ticks.  They are emotional and crying and see only half of the people in the stands that were there while they were winning.  You do not dare consider yourself MUSTANG FANS...you are simply MUSTANG SPECTATORS.

HINT:  KOGT usually broadcasts the playoff games...save your time, energy, and money.  Lastly, it would free up a lot of good air that those of us who cheer and yell (from kickoff until the last seconds tick off) need to breathe...

Could things have gone differently Friday night...sure they could have.  There's just not any one thing that can be blamed.  We lost...let's just accept it and move on because WE ARE STILL THE MUSTANGS AND WE STILL PROUD!!!

WOS diehard fans,

Remember, when you have a program as succuessful as your program has been over the last 30 years, it is hard to deal with losing. There are many programs in the Golden Triangle area that would love to trade places with your program. I could only dream of dealing with ya'lls type of problem. When you have many years of success a slight drop in performance is hard to swollow. Hold your heads high and a word of caution, becareful not to pick your program apart based on 1 loss. You guys expect to win it all very year and that is a great mentality, but it's not realistic. Your coaching staff has proved year after year that they can and will solve the problem areas. Next year ya'll will be at the top again, just remember to shot for the stars and if you hit the moon you are still OK.

Great season WOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Raiders !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you know who i am you know i stay to the very end.i am not one who sits on my hands always up and show support to the kids who play there hearts out for us on friday nights. you know i look at it this way,alot of these kids go both ways and if you have ever done that then you know how tuff it is. waco lv was a very large team and brother that made a diffrence but we did have alot of heart and stayed with these big guys dont you think.i am not one that points fingers at NO COACH no matter what. i am not sure about this but i was told wo-s has a 6ft3 kid  with great speed as a wide out ,maybe we can  find a short passing game next and get the 70 yarders out of the play book

Guest wos mustangs

I love these coaches and kids, always have. Skip i do agree a few shorter passes would be nice. But lets remember we have a young QB that will be even more polished next year.

As I was watching the game in the second half, I did not even realize that we did not pick up a first down in the half.  I know we had the ball in bad field position twice in the second half, but didn't we start one time in the second half around the forty?  I have been going to WOS games for about 25 years and I don't think I have ever seen the stangs not pick up a first in the entire half.  That is ashame because the defensive staff seemed to have lavega completely shut down most of the game.  I hate to say it but it may be time to try something new on offense.  Good Luck in 2008 Stangs and congrats in 2007!!

I've been to many Mustang games in my lifetime.  If you listen to or agree with the majority of the people in the stands you are probably not on solid ground.  I can remember before the state championships came I often heard how lousy coach Hooks was. I also distinctly remember no matter who was at quaterback, it was always the wrong one.  In all fairness its ok to disagree with playcalling or have an opinion about whats going on. When I do I whisper it to my buddy sitting next to me to get it off my chest and to ensure that no one but him knows how smart I am.  IMO this is not the right time nor place for those arguments but alas it is a free country.

Thank You!! Glad you realize that to, Defense can only do so much every season

Defense is always what keeps us in games.  We haven't had a GREAT offense is a long time.  All of our great teams have stemed from a great Defense.  Remember when Coach T left, we weren't that good.  In 2000 , when we got to the state championship game, how many did we put in college on Offense.  Okay maybe Donald Paul as an o-lineman.  Always always its defense.  We maybe had two plays that year.  Sweep to the right or sweep to the left.  Like someone mentioned we are a small school that forces some of our guys to go both ways.  In the last 7 years we have totally changed our offense.  Most coaches will tell you that we are a passing offense.  Yes I said a passing offense.  You talk about wanting to see passes 2000.  How much did we pass when you "played"?  I know we would start the game off with a streak your senior year to a wide open reciever that dropped just about every time.  Think about how our offense attack has changed since those days.  I would say the playbook has had some pages added and we still haven't got to the show.

I was not actually at the game on Friday, I went to see Dayton and Livingston, but I can never remember a time that WOS was without a first down for an entire half.  Was La Vega that good?  I'm sure the WOS "D" stepped up as usual.  Congrats to another great season Stangs.

It seems that they ran an offense that suited their talent.  # 20 and #24 and # 13 were the carriers of this offense.  # 18 seemed to be the only receiver that caught the ball consistently.  I remember posters begging for the short sideline pass to be abandoned.  Now, they need throw shorter passes.  Against Giddings and Coldsprings, I saw passes completed in the 7- 10 yard range.  So, am I wrong in saying that I saw Short, Meium and long passes?  How many times did they actually throw the ball?  I bet they did not throw it over 15 times in a playoff game.  Use what you have.  You have running backs.  I commend them for lining up in a spread offense and still running the ball effectively.  Let me guess, someone will not say to go to the wishbone because they are not throwing the ball in the spread offense.  Great thinking.  The line carried them through to this point, now we just want to abandon what brought WOS to the thrid round.  If you want to call for heads, why not call for the head of a losing program.  It is amazing how teams all around this area have losing records but the ONE team with consistent winning is the one that thinks that they can call for someones head.  I still say, Coach Hooks knows what he is doing.  There is a reason that he believes in all of his coaches.

Guest Chaingang Defense

It seems that they ran an offense that suited their talent.  # 20 and #24 and # 13 were the carriers of this offense.  # 18 seemed to be the only receiver that caught the ball consistently.  I remember posters begging for the short sideline pass to be abandoned.  Now, they need throw shorter passes.  Against Giddings and Coldsprings, I saw passes completed in the 7- 10 yard range.  So, am I wrong in saying that I saw Short, Meium and long passes?  How many times did they actually throw the ball?  I bet they did not throw it over 15 times in a playoff game.  Use what you have.  You have running backs.  I commend them for lining up in a spread offense and still running the ball effectively.  Let me guess, someone will not say to go to the wishbone because they are not throwing the ball in the spread offense.  Great thinking.   The line carried them through to this point, now we just want to abandon what brought WOS to the thrid round.  If you want to call for heads, why not call for the head of a losing program.  It is amazing how teams all around this area have losing records but the ONE team with consistent winning is the one that thinks that they can call for someones head.   I still say, Coach Hooks knows what he is doing.  There is a reason that he believes in all of his coaches.

WE LOVE COACH HOOKS!

DO YOU KNOW IF TOBY IS COMING BACK?

I will agree and say that I have never seen a team with worse field position for a whole half than I did last Friday night.  That turned the tide of the game.  I commend him for being conservative and not risking a turnover backed up like that.  Can you imagine the calls for his head, had he turn the ball over trying to run some stupid trick play or thrown an interception backed up like that.  I think the conservative thinking came from where the ball was.  All the rest of the game, they were using motions and when they got backed up, that stooped.  Maybe the conservative was just because of where the ball was.  Either way, he is worng.  True???? 

Guest Chaingang Defense

I will agree and say that I have never seen a team with worse field position for a whole half than I did last Friday night.  That turned the tide of the game.  I commend him for being conservative and not risking a turnover backed up like that.  Can you imagine the calls for his head, had he turn the ball over trying to run some stupid trick play or thrown an interception backed up like that.  I think the conservative thinking came from where the ball was.  All the rest of the game, they were using motions and when they got backed up, that stooped.  Maybe the conservative was just because of where the ball was.  Either way, he is worng.  True???? 

HE NEVER WORNG.  ;) THEY WOULD HAVE GOT GOOD FIELD POSITION ANYHOW WE WERE PUNTING FROM THE ENDZONE. COME ON

Guest Hatchet

My thing is this:  You think it is all the oc's fault every year.  Some of you call for his head every year.  However,  you never call for the one person's head that can get rid of him, but never does.  Just maybe, Coach Hooks is a better judge of coaching ability than you closet coaches!

??? ??? what about the years we did have D1 players? been many of them.

What about the former D1 players?  Hasn't WOS won a state championship or two?  The topic was this year's offense.  Only ONE team will be happy at the end of the year and that's the team that wins it all and yet there will still be IDIOT fans that will say things could have been done better on that championship team!