Santa Fe @ PNG - Discussion

Rez Ipsa

PNG will probably be a 40-point favorite, so the order of the day is don’t go in complacent and looking forward to MCM. The last thing we need is to mess around and give Santa Fe the game.  And, don’t let what will likely be a cupcake team make us soft coming up on Nederland. This week needs to be a tune-up. Hopefully Bailey and the WRs can continue to gel, and we can escape with no injuries. 

We need to execute, execute, execute perfectly every play.  Anyone can beat you at anytime.   This PNG team is capable of a much higher level of offensive excellence.   I believe that the Purple Indian team will keep improving.   Defense seems ready for anything.   Offense needs a dominant performance over Santa Fe prior to Mid-County Madness. SIMPLE AS THAT!!!🏈

Just based on the numbers, this game should be a bench-clearing shutout for PNG. I expect the game to be similar to the Willow Ridge game, however, for the observers, with pretty much plain vanilla play calling. Don't ever take any high school game for granted, but it would be handy if SF runs similar defense and offense as Nederland for us. 

1 hour ago, 1970 said:

Just based on the numbers, this game should be a bench-clearing shutout for PNG. I expect the game to be similar to the Willow Ridge game, however, for the observers, with pretty much plain vanilla play calling. Don't ever take any high school game for granted, but it would be handy if SF runs similar defense and offense as Nederland for us. 

They run a lot. I’m not sure if that’s by design or if their passing game is just bad, but their passing game is also not anything to write home about. They moved the ball against Nederland (only game I watched them live) for a while, but they don’t have much firepower, and that was in a game I didn’t think Nederland played well. There was very little at all impressive about Santa Fe in that game. Their uniforms look good - That’s one positive.  Almost no speed, small, passive. I honestly don’t see a path to them scoring against our starters. If Nederland had played on defense the way they played against FBM for three quarters, Santa Fe wouldn’t have scored at all. 

I’m ok with vanilla play calling in this game. Something I like about this coaching staff is they use their opportunities to hammer fundamentals. We could have scored 60 on Beaumont United, but what does the team learn from that? If you’re lighting up the scoreboard, you’re probably not doing plays that challenge your weaknesses. If I had my way, PNG would use the game to get the Qb and the receivers more passing reps, because that’s where we have less experience.

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Maybe getting a receiver back for the playoffs.

Is there a requirement to have played in a district game (varsity or otherwise) to be eligible for the playoffs? Someone on one of the forums mentioned this last week, but I'd never heard of that. 

15 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Is there a requirement to have played in a district game (varsity or otherwise) to be eligible for the playoffs? Someone on one of the forums mentioned this last week, but I'd never heard of that. 

If there is a rule, in the last game, they'll stick him in at receiver for one play and take him out.  That should satisfy the rule.