Dayton rolls over Texas City

BearWolf

By JERRY MICHALSKY

The Port Arthur News

LaPorte -- When you mix good offense with good defense it usually will do wonders for a football team. Once again it was the Dayton offense pilling up big numbers and then the Bronco "D" was stuffing 1,700 yard rusher Johnny Thomas....

http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_328005716.html

Stings struggle against Broncos

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News 

Published November 24, 2007

LA PORTE — All season, the Texas City Stings have thrived on proving they weren’t the underdogs. But on Friday, they finally met their match.

A dismal first half was too much to overcome, as Texas City fell to the Dayton Broncos 42-10 in the area round of the Class 4A, Division II playoffs in La Porte.

“We didn’t have an answer for them tonight,†said Texas City head coach Tim Finn. “All year long it has been our kids making big plays and taking an early lead. But tonight Dayton executed real good, and we didn’t make the plays we needed to win.â€

The Stings’ defense forced a turnover on the first play of the game, and Mitch Russo kicked a 30-yard field goal to give them an early lead.

But it was all down here from there.

Texas City’s offense struggled mightily, gaining just 61 yards in the first half. The Stings didn’t have a first down until 1:24 remained in the second quarter. By then, they were down 28-3 — a hole much too large for the running-based Stings’ attack to overcome.

Not even star running back Johnny Thomas could get much going on the ground for the Stings. He finished with just 67 yards on 23 carries.

“The further you go in a season, the more film teams get to study on you,†said a teary-eyed Thomas. “(Dayton) did a good job finding out how to stop us. They keyed in on what we were wanting to do all night.â€

The struggles weren’t just on the offensive side. The Texas City defense, which has been one of its strengths throughout the year, couldn’t find a way to stop Dayton’s spread passing attack.

Dayton quarterback Gregory Charles threw three touchdown passes in the first half — two to A.J. Dugat. Dugat also showed off his skills as a passer, tossing a 23-yard touchdown to Ronnie Powell for a 25-point advantage heading into halftime.

Texas City (10-2) regained a bit of momentum in the third quarter, after Daniel Herrera intercepted a pass in Texas City territory. Quarterback Blake Apffel capped off a nine-play, 49-yard drive with a 1-yard run to cut the deficit to 28-10.

The Stings offense stalled again on their next possession, but the special teams pinned the Broncos at the 1-yard line.

However, Dayton drove 99 yards in 12 plays, capped off by a 26-yard pass from Charles to Paul Fontentot, to end any chances of a Stings comeback.

Charles finished the game 19-of-40 passing for 248 yards with four touchdowns and three interceptions. Dugat led the Broncos with 102 yards receiving, while Powell add 92 yards and two touchdowns.

The Broncos outgained the Stings by 263 yards on the night.

Dayton (9-3) tacked on one final touchdown in the final seconds, something that Finn didn’t appreciate too much.

“It surprised me a lot that they were throwing all the way to the end,†Finn said. “That’s something we won’t forget.â€

While the Stings were obviously disappointed to be heading home after just two rounds in the playoffs, Thomas said there is still a lot this squad has to be proud of.

“We weren’t expected to do much this year and we ended up winning the district,†Thomas said. “That was exciting for us. We did the best we could do all season. We just weren’t able to get it done tonight.â€

Dayton (9-3) tacked on one final touchdown in the final seconds, something that Finn didn’t appreciate too much.

“It surprised me a lot that they were throwing all the way to the end,†Finn said. “That’s something we won’t forget.â€

that is silly....we didn't throw the ball once on that last drive. Something I didn't appreciate was all the mouthing by their players and coaches....especially before kickoffs and after plays were over...I hope finn goes back and watches the tape and realizes we ran it down their throat at the end.

that is silly....we didn't throw the ball once on that last drive. Something I didn't appreciate was all the mouthing by their players and coaches....especially before kickoffs and after plays were over...I hope finn goes back and watches the tape and realizes we ran it down their throat at the end.

that and during warm ups the players were actually pointing at us and laughing

I believe Dayton's last 4 plays were inside the 20 and were all running plays between the tackles.  Dayton was trying to run out the clock, but the trend of Texas City not being able to tackle a Bronco continued.  Gable didn't even break a tackle on the TD run.

I just don't think I-45 is shut down for repairs, but so is HWY 146 and... HWY 3!!!

The only thing pounding these roadways will be the sounds of bouncing basketballs!!!!

WAY TO GO DAYTON AND LUMBERTON!!!!

Guest tigersvoice

I bet they aint pointing and laughing anymore,,,,, note to livingston players,,,, point and laugh at dayton players during warm-ups,,,, it will intimidate them and make them play bad ;D

Wadda ya' think?  Is it just something in the "Behavioral waters" over there in District 23 - 4A?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder