Hardin-Jefferson (0) @ Anahuac (37) - FINAL

jdawg03

On 9/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, PdaddyBball said:

What would you suggest they do? How does HJ turn into a playoff team?

No clue.  I graduated 22 years ago and we had a really good team while I played there, for about a 4-year stretch.  Then about 12-13 years later they had a really good team for like 2 years.  That's pretty much been it for the last 30 years, maybe 4-5 good teams.  You've got a school with a bunch of smart kids and a decent amount of good athletes, they shouldn't be nearly as bad at football as they are every year, even as a basketball school.

10 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

No clue.  I graduated 22 years ago and we had a really good team while I played there, for about a 4-year stretch.  Then about 12-13 years later they had a really good team for like 2 years.  That's pretty much been it for the last 30 years, maybe 4-5 good teams.  You've got a school with a bunch of smart kids and a decent amount of good athletes, they shouldn't be nearly as bad at football as they are every year, even as a basketball school.

The team they had a couple years ago wasn’t terrible… but it’s been rough sledding last year and so far this year

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

The team they had a couple years ago wasn’t terrible… but it’s been rough sledding last year and so far this year

That team wasn't good, they just had some easy opponents.  5 wins, 5 losses, but the 5 losses were all between 25-45 points.  

I just went back and looked at HJ's history.  The football team wasn't bad from when the school formed until around 1985.  In the last 40 years or so there have been three groups of athletes that have come through and had decent stretches. 

The 90-94 kids went 35-14-1 over five seasons, but never made the playoffs because that was back when one team went.  Those were good teams.

my group of athletes was 98-01.  We went 30-16 over 4 seasons, three playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins, including a run to 4th round in 99.  The class of 01 was probably the best of those teams, but after starting 8-0 all of our main offensive players got hurt over the span of about a game (qb, rb, fb), and that was all she wrote.  Lost a double OT game, then by 2 to top-5 Barbers Hill without any of our guys, ended up with the #3 seed and got whacked in the first round of the playoffs by Bridge City, who was very, very good (four rounds deep that year).  Without the injuries we go 10-0 and who knows what happens from there in the playoffs.  

The 2013-2016 group was solid, and had 3 winning seasons in 4 years, with a 2-8 season in the middle of 8-5, 11-2, and 7-4 seasons.  the 2014 team was arguably the best team HJ has ever had.  They played state finalists WOS really well in district before it got away at the end, and then ran into LaGrange and JK Dobbins in the 3rd round of the playoffs, losing by a touchdown.  

So that's about 11-12 seasons in 40 years where there was a decent football team?  I honestly couldn't say why there isn't more consistency.  You'd think the "bad years" would be 4-6, 5-5, 6-4, but there's a lot of 1-9,2-8, and 3-7  over the years.  

5 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

That team wasn't good, they just had some easy opponents.  5 wins, 5 losses, but the 5 losses were all between 25-45 points.  

I just went back and looked at HJ's history.  The football team wasn't bad from when the school formed until around 1985.  In the last 40 years or so there have been three groups of athletes that have come through and had decent stretches. 

The 90-94 kids went 35-14-1 over five seasons, but never made the playoffs because that was back when one team went.  Those were good teams.

my group of athletes was 98-01.  We went 30-16 over 4 seasons, three playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins, including a run to 4th round in 99.  The class of 01 was the best of those teams, but after starting 8-0 all of our main offensive players got hurt over the span of about a game (qb, rb, fb), and that was all she wrote.  Lost a double OT game, then by 2 to top-5 Barbers Hill without any of our guys, and then got whacked in the first round of the playoffs by Bridge City, who was very, very good (four rounds deep that year).  Without the injuries we go 10-0 and who knows what happens from there in the playoffs.  

The 2013-2016 group was solid, and had 3 winning seasons in 4 years, with a 2-8 season in the middle of 8-5, 11-2, and 7-4 seasons.  the 2014 team was arguably the best team HJ has ever had.  They played state finalists WOS really well in district before it got away at the end, and then ran into LaGrange and JK Dobbins in the 3rd round of the playoffs, losing by a touchdown.  

So that's about 11-12 seasons in 40 years where there was a decent football team?  I honestly couldn't say why there isn't more consistency.  You'd think the "bad years" would be 4-6, 5-5, 6-4, but there's a lot of 1-9,2-8, and 3-7  over the years.  

I remember the summer before my 7th grade year going to a summer football camp at HJ… Me and one other kid from Kountze. I think that was the summer of 2000

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

my group of athletes was 98-01.  We went 30-16 over 4 seasons, three playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins, including a run to 4th round in 99.  The class of 01 was probably the best of those teams, but after starting 8-0 all of our main offensive players got hurt over the span of about a game (qb, rb, fb), and that was all she wrote.  Lost a double OT game, then by 2 to top-5 Barbers Hill without any of our guys, ended up with the #3 seed and got whacked in the first round of the playoffs by Bridge City, who was very, very good (four rounds deep that year).  Without the injuries we go 10-0 and who knows what happens from there in the playoffs.  

Correction, the 1982 season is when UIL sent two teams out of each district to the playoffs. 1981 season (my senior year) was the last year that only the district champ went to the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Correction, the 1982 season is when UIL sent two teams out of each district to the playoffs. 1981 season (my senior year) was the last year that only the district champ went to the playoffs.

gotcha.  well, they weren't making the playoffs with several seasons of 7-3 or better in a row.  So i guess they were finishing third in district during those seasons.  Can't find a detailed account of the games played that far back, just the records.