Hunter Cervenka Article

From the Baytown Sun

Sterling’s Cervenka signs with Texas

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published November 22, 2007

Hunter Cervenka may not have been a Longhorn when he was born, but he was one by the time he left the hospital.

The Sterling baseball player realized one of his dreams earlier this week when he signed a letter of intent to play baseball for the team he grew up with, the University of Texas Longhorns.

Cervenka will keep his options open as he awaits the Major League Baseball draft.

“As of right now, this is my dream,†Cervenka said. “Hopefully, in June I will be drafted.

“If I get drafted high enough I will go to the pros. I want to be in a position to play in the major leagues in four to five years.â€

If Cervenka takes the NCAA route, he will join one of the most storied college baseball programs in the nation. One of the reasons that the left-hander chose the Longhorns is their ability to compete for a national championship each season.

“Playing for Texas will give me a chance to go to the College World Series and get a ring,†Cervenka said. “They told me I would definitely come in as an impact player if I perform. I am going to pitch and have the opportunity to play outfield and first base.â€

This past summer, Cervenka worked on his change-up and gaining better control of his breaking pitches. Better control would help the senior reach his goal of a 10-0 record this season.

“If Hunter throws strikes

consistently, he will be one of the better ones that I have had,†Sterling head coach Paul Tadlock said. “He’s an maximum effort guy. He throws a lot of pitches. If we can keep his count down, he will finish a lot of games for us.

“He also swings a real good stick. We are moving him to first base this season. It will be good for his arm when he isn’t pitching.â€

In addition to going 10-0, Cervenka would like to hit over .400 and win a district crown and most valuable player award.

“That would be a perfect season,†Cervenka said. “Last year was not my best. I thought my sophomore year was a lot better.â€

Cervenka finished the year as a second team all-district selection. This past summer, Cervenka earned the opportunity to play at the highest levels nationally as a member of a USA Select team that played in North Carolina.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami