BBfan061

21 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

Gold bracket - Tarkington tournament 

6th  - Tarkington

5th - HJ

4th- Hardin

3rd - PNG

Championship game - Buna Vs Huffman 

If you would’ve said pick the teams to play in the championship game … one definitely would’ve been Huffman… and one definitely wouldn’t have been Buna lol

Just now, BBfan061 said:

If you would’ve said pick the teams to play in the championship game … one definitely would’ve been Huffman… and one definitely wouldn’t have been Buna lol

They are definitely a scrappy bunch.

Tarkington beat them 25-14 and then dropped two sets in a row. 

PNG beat them first set then dropped two straight also. 

35 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

I’ve been telling people buna was gonna have a pretty good team this year. They should get first in their district this year 

On 8/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, Hawks18 said:

I’ve been telling people buna was gonna have a pretty good team this year. They should get first in their district this year 

I think Hardin, Orangefield, and Anahuac will have something to say about that. Yes, Anahuac is up there too.  Athletic as all get out and can play. 

Hardin beat Huffman in the first set Saturday, but dropped the last 2. 

3 hours ago, highsky said:

I think Hardin, Orangefield, and Anahuac will have something to say about that. Yes, Anahuac is up there too.  Athletic as all get out and can play. 

Don't count EC just yet, either. New coach has them playing with a purpose!

4 hours ago, highsky said:

Buna already beat Hardin in 3 in the central height’s tournament

1 hour ago, Hawks18 said:

Buna already beat Hardin in 3 in the central height’s tournament

Doesn't matter.  That's one game in a tournament, which happens to be a best 2 out of 3 sets. In district, it can go to 5 games. A win in a tournament does not guarantee a district championship win and those teams have to play each other twice.   
A few years ago , Orangefield dropped from 4A to 3A and thought they would just sweep everyone in district for an easy championship.  Hardin beat them twice that year and Orangefield did a have a pretty good team as they only had 2 district losses. 

Granted, this year is different but your statement makes me think you've already counted Hardin out and you shouldn't.  

1 hour ago, highsky said:

Doesn't matter.  That's one game in a tournament, which happens to be a best 2 out of 3 sets. In district, it can go to 5 games. A win in a tournament does not guarantee a district championship win and those teams have to play each other twice.   
A few years ago , Orangefield dropped from 4A to 3A and thought they would just sweep everyone in district for an easy championship.  Hardin beat them twice that year and Orangefield did a have a pretty good team as they only had 2 district losses. 

Granted, this year is different but your statement makes me think you've already counted Hardin out and you shouldn't.  

I’m just talking a little crap trying to keep this volleyball thread interesting no need to get butt hurt 

Some of you folks aren't actually here to talk volleyball.  Stirring the pot is what y'all like to do.  

Yes, we have lost games.  Are we upset about it? Not at all.  It's all game experience to get better as a team.  I don't know if anyone noticed but Vidor came into Hardin having won the Silsbee tournament and was 7-0, but lost in 3 sets.   Like I said before, tournament/non-district games don't really matter.  Those games are to get ready for district play. 

In my opinion, volleyball is down all across the board.  Even Huffman, who is coming off a state volleyball run last year, is down.  They are still good, but not the same as last year.   I have not seen many dominant teams this season, with the exception of maybe Tatum and Jewett Leon.  

Edit: I want to say that the last paragraph is based on what I have seen.  I am sure there are some really great teams out there and I just haven't seen them.  I'm sure Barbers Hill is one of them.  I've never seen them play, obviously due to my job.  I'm sure y'all think it's funny I post on here but I actually do love volleyball and like to see the legit info that is posted here. 

1 hour ago, highsky said:

Some of you folks aren't actually here to talk volleyball.  Stirring the pot is what y'all like to do.  

Yes, we have lost games.  Are we upset about it? Not at all.  It's all game experience to get better as a team.  I don't know if anyone noticed but Vidor came into Hardin having won the Silsbee tournament and was 7-0, but lost in 3 sets.   Like I said before, tournament/non-district games don't really matter.  Those games are to get ready for district play. 

In my opinion, volleyball is down all across the board.  Even Huffman, who is coming off a state volleyball run last year, is down.  They are still good, but not the same as last year.   I have not seen many dominant teams this season, with the exception of maybe Tatum and Jewett Leon.  

Edit: I want to say that the last paragraph is based on what I have seen.  I am sure there are some really great teams out there and I just haven't seen them.  I'm sure Barbers Hill is one of them.  I've never seen them play, obviously due to my job.  I'm sure y'all think it's funny I post on here but I actually do love volleyball and like to see the legit info that is posted here. 

Jewett is usually always solid… usually Bellville tries to find a way to get them on the schedule… guess they couldn’t for this year. I agree about volleyball being down in areas… but like you said there are still some good teams out there

1 minute ago, highsky said:

Are you saying Barbers Hill is down? 

During Vidors 7-0 start, did they play anyone with a pulse? Records aren't always the end all be all, need to look at who they are actually playing. BH has played some big time programs, not sure anyone else in the area has played anyone remotely in the same ballpark.  If you are only playing other teams from the Golden Triangle you might want to step out and play some other areas. Bridge City stepped out and played the Dickinson tourney two years ago and never came back, the same tourney BH has reached the finals 3 years in a row and won it back to back. Nederland has played in the John Turner two years in a row in Pearland and has finished in the bottom both years. My opinion is BH is close enough to Houston area club volleyball that their players develop at the top levels of club where as east texas/gold triangle has a hard time keeping up due to logistics. Until that changes the level of volleyball in HS will not change. 

Huffman lost some srs last year including their setter so that is tough to replace. They got on a magical run last year but for perspective they lost to BH 3-0 last year and 3-0 the year before.  

1 hour ago, Steven Avery said:

Are you saying Barbers Hill is down? 

During Vidors 7-0 start, did they play anyone with a pulse? Records aren't always the end all be all, need to look at who they are actually playing. BH has played some big time programs, not sure anyone else in the area has played anyone remotely in the same ballpark.  If you are only playing other teams from the Golden Triangle you might want to step out and play some other areas. Bridge City stepped out and played the Dickinson tourney two years ago and never came back, the same tourney BH has reached the finals 3 years in a row and won it back to back. Nederland has played in the John Turner two years in a row in Pearland and has finished in the bottom both years. My opinion is BH is close enough to Houston area club volleyball that their players develop at the top levels of club where as east texas/gold triangle has a hard time keeping up due to logistics. Until that changes the level of volleyball in HS will not change. 

Huffman lost some srs last year including their setter so that is tough to replace. They got on a magical run last year but for perspective they lost to BH 3-0 last year and 3-0 the year before.  

No, I did not say BH was down.  I said it was based on what teams I have actually seen with my own eyes.  I have seen teams this season that are generally strong, like Huffman, be weaker than last year's team.  I hear the BH program is quite good but never will get a chance to see them unless I do so after I retire.  However, it helps that there are some clubs close to BH.   Girls from Hardin/Liberty area have to travel to do club ball if they do it at all.  

Hardin usually plays the Wimberley Tex-Fest Tournament instead of the Central Heights tournament but rising costs of staying in the Wimberley area prompted a look around for a different tournament.  Central Heights had some solid teams in the tournament (not high powered like you would see at Wimberley) and we got some game experience there.   At Wimberley, Hardin played the likes of Laredo United, Stephenville, & Wimberley.  Last year, they went 2 rounds deep in the Gold Bracket before losing to Wimberley in 3. 

Regarding your comment about Vidor, I do not know if they "played anyone with a pulse" but saw on here that they won the Silsbee Tournament and was told they were 7-0 coming into Hardin. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, highsky said:

No, I did not say BH was down.  I said it was based on what teams I have actually seen with my own eyes.  I have seen teams this season that are generally strong, like Huffman, be weaker than last year's team.  I hear the BH program is quite good but never will get a chance to see them unless I do so after I retire.  However, it helps that there are some clubs close to BH.   Girls from Hardin/Liberty area have to travel to do club ball if they do it at all.  

Hardin usually plays the Wimberley Tex-Fest Tournament instead of the Central Heights tournament but rising costs of staying in the Wimberley area prompted a look around for a different tournament.  Central Heights had some solid teams in the tournament (not high powered like you would see at Wimberley) and we got some game experience there.   At Wimberley, Hardin played the likes of Laredo United, Stephenville, & Wimberley.  Last year, they went 2 rounds deep in the Gold Bracket before losing to Wimberley in 3. 

Regarding your comment about Vidor, I do not know if they "played anyone with a pulse" but saw on here that they won the Silsbee Tournament and was told they were 7-0 coming into Hardin. 

I will say this regarding Vidor..... I honestly have no clue what team I saw take the court against Hardin.  I think I sat there with my mouth on the floor.  We looked horrible.  Maybe Hardin exposed all the weaknesses? I don't know.  But I know the team I watched the previous 7 games was not the same team I watched take the court in Hardin.  It was awful. Granted there are a lot of things that need to be fixed before district starts, but I wouldn't go as far as to say "did they play anyone with a pulse".  The first day of the Silsbee Tournament they did play not so good teams on day 1, but Saturday the Championship game was between Vidor and LCM that went to three sets with Vidor winning. 

1 hour ago, Fortheloveofthegame said:

I will say this regarding Vidor..... I honestly have no clue what team I saw take the court against Hardin.  I think I sat there with my mouth on the floor.  We looked horrible.  Maybe Hardin exposed all the weaknesses? I don't know.  But I know the team I watched the previous 7 games was not the same team I watched take the court in Hardin.  It was awful. Granted there are a lot of things that need to be fixed before district starts, but I wouldn't go as far as to say "did they play anyone with a pulse".  The first day of the Silsbee Tournament they did play not so good teams on day 1, but Saturday the Championship game was between Vidor and LCM that went to three sets with Vidor winning. 

It wasn't me that said the "played anyone with a pulse" quote.  It was Steven Avery who said that in responding to me.   

Speaking of Vidor, my step-dad's parents had a barber shop around the corner from the high school in the 60's-70s, maybe into the early 80's. 

35 minutes ago, highsky said:

It wasn't me that said the "played anyone with a pulse" quote.  It was Steven Avery who said that in responding to me.   

Speaking of Vidor, my step-dad's parents had a barber shop around the corner from the high school in the 60's-70s, maybe into the early 80's. 

I know, I had just responded to both of the statements made in one response vs responding separately. 

19 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

@Fortheloveofthegame do us a favor and update the scores here 

This is the hidden content, please

If I could remember the scores I would.  I only keep up with the overall sets won per game. I have no desire to keep Maxpreps updated.  That usually would fall under a coach's responsibility.  Also, by no means am I saying we have played amazing, but I know every single game I have attended (which is all of them) we either play really well, or really bad.  There seems to be no in between. 

12 minutes ago, Fortheloveofthegame said:

If I could remember the scores I would.  I only keep up with the overall sets won per game. I have no desire to keep Maxpreps updated.  That usually would fall under a coach's responsibility.  Also, by no means am I saying we have played amazing, but I know every single game I have attended (which is all of them) we either play really well, or really bad.  There seems to be no in between. 

@FortheloveofthegameUpdate the sets then, I hear ya. The coach should update it but if they don't help he girls get the respect they deserve by reporting atleast W/Ls.  I always wondered why the rest of the state updates but SETX doesn't. It seems like lack of education on expectations or maybe its that volleyball just isn't that big a deal in that part of the state which ties back to the lack of big time club volleyball in the area.

3 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

@FortheloveofthegameUpdate the sets then, I hear ya. The coach should update it but if they don't help he girls get the respect they deserve by reporting atleast W/Ls.  I always wondered why the rest of the state updates but SETX doesn't. It seems like lack of education on expectations or maybe its that volleyball just isn't that big a deal in that part of the state which ties back to the lack of big time club volleyball in the area.

Being married to a coach, he (my husband) always make sure he reports his wins/losses/stats/etc.  I agree on the fact of volleyball not being a big deal to about 90% of the area.  My daughter has played club for years and it's growing, especially compared to how small it was 5 years ago, but the local interest is nowhere near where it could be.