Looking at 2023-2024

We don’t get much volleyball talk so I thought I’d try and start some. What teams in the coverage area or non coverage (People like me) areas could make a run next year? To start I’d like to offer some praise to Bellville coach Susan Brewer who has to be one of the best to ever coach the game. She has been the head coach in Bellville since the early 80s and what a program she has built. I believe she is second all time in wins in the state of Texas. Won a few state championships, and is on quite the run over the last 4 seasons.

2019-2020 41-9 Regional Quarter Finalist 

2020-2021 (Covid season) 26-4 State Semi Finalists 

2021-2022 39-9 State Semi Finalist 

2022-2023 39-11 State Semi Finalist 

With a good chunk of players back from last years team they will look to finally win the state championship after 3 straight seasons of advancing to state and coming up short.

Local SETX teams- Huffman made it to the state tournament last year (33-14) & Barbers Hill (40-7) is always one of the stronger teams in 5A every year. Manvel (33-11) went 4 rds deep last year, beating B.H. in 3rd rd. Friendswood (34-12) & Fulshear ( 32-10) are always tough teams to beat & making deep playoff runs. The 3A ranks East Bernard (42-7) made it to the state tournament, Central Heights (41-9) made it to the 5th rd. losing to East Bernard.  Orangefield (25-14) &  Diboll (31-11)  made it 2 rds into the playoffs. Not excatly sure what these teams have coming back for '23. 

4 hours ago, KF89 said:

Local SETX teams- Huffman made it to the state tournament last year (33-14) & Barbers Hill (40-7) is always one of the stronger teams in 5A every year. Manvel (33-11) went 4 rds deep last year, beating B.H. in 3rd rd. Friendswood (34-12) & Fulshear ( 32-10) are always tough teams to beat & making deep playoff runs. The 3A ranks East Bernard (42-7) made it to the state tournament, Central Heights (41-9) made it to the 5th rd. losing to East Bernard.  Orangefield (25-14) &  Diboll (31-11)  made it 2 rds into the playoffs. Not excatly sure what these teams have coming back for '23. 

I think Manvel will take a step back this year. They lost their 2 big outsides that they ran 90% of their offense through and their assistant who according to parents I have talked to basically did everything and was their real coach.

Huffman and BH will continue to be strong. They didn’t lose a lot of seniors.

5 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

I think Manvel will take a step back this year. They lost their 2 big outsides that they ran 90% of their offense through and their assistant who according to parents I have talked to basically did everything and was their real coach.

Yeah I thought Huffman was young ish 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 3:04 PM, Pkvalt said:

They still have some weapons (a great setter, good hitting, and a plus defender), but they are losing kids to Iowa Colony and other schools in that area.

Agreed on Huffman and BH being strong again this year. 

On 6/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, mfd814 said:

I was thinking this last year.  Not a lot of talk here for girls vb.    If anyone is interested.  Coaches , parent from each team, esp if they don’t “post” here. I’ll give out my cell .  Text me your scores this season and I’ll post em.  Let me know if interested. 

That would be awesome! 

For 5A

I expect Friendswood based on the level of club players zone to them to be the next thorn in BH's side to get past the 3rd round.  Manvel will still be solid but my guess will be second place in that district. 

BH lost two srs off last years team with one being a D1 middle. They still have two D1 commits(MB and S) and loads of high level club experience with the rest of the Sr class.  

Huffman was pretty young but seems like they lost some key Srs too but should still expected to be strong. I believe the Libero had ACL surgery and most likely will not be back for high school season. 

Sterling lost a D1 middle and a juco setter so that will hurt but return a D1 OH.  They should be in the playoff mix.

Crosby has some pieces but without a coach/new coach not sure what to think about them. 

GCM won summer league but primarily played other schools JV teams so not sure what they really have.

What about PNG and Nederland? 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:18 PM, BBfan061 said:

Hardin also went 3 rounds last year before losing to Central Heights 

Not this coming season.  Hardin will struggle to finish in the top 3/4 in district but they'll rebound quickly after this year.

2 hours ago, JimAdler said:

Not this coming season.  Hardin will struggle to finish in the top 3/4 in district but they'll rebound quickly after this year.

Who is in their district? Even a down year they will still be top 4 I’d imagine.. 3A volleyball in the 409 area is below average IMO.. with the exception of Hardin usually 

3 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

Who is in their district? Even a down year they will still be top 4 I’d imagine.. 3A volleyball in the 409 area is below average IMO.. with the exception of Hardin usually 

409 volleyball in general in 3a,4a,5a etc is all below average because they don't have any top tier clubs to develop at. Hardin had a few girls playing club in Baytown but that group has graduated. 

8 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

I think buna will surprise some people this year! A down year for Hardin is losing a set in district, anahuac will be good, OF will be good. I think that’s the top 4 in no order 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, kenny powers said:

409 volleyball in general in 3a,4a,5a etc is all below average because they don't have any top tier clubs to develop at. Hardin had a few girls playing club in Baytown but that group has graduated. 

Hardin has "had a few girls playing club" for the last 10 + years but yes, that "GROUP" graduated and only two of the girls on varsity play club for xcel.  Well, one isn't quite on varsity, but by the time school starts, she will be in my opinion.  She's the best DS they have as a freshman and far more athletic/potential than anybody they have on the roster.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, JimAdler said:

Hardin has "had a few girls playing club" for the last 10 + years but yes, that "GROUP" graduated and only two of the girls on varsity play club for xcel.  Well, one isn't quite on varsity, but by the time school starts, she will be in my opinion.  She's the best DS they have as a freshman and far more athletic/potential than anybody they have on the roster.

Will this be the year Hardin loses a district game? 

19 hours ago, Hawks18 said:

Will this be the year Hardin loses a district game? 

I don't doubt regina will have them ready by district, but if there was ever a year where hardin took a step back, its this year.  These girls will have to work extra hard to earn their keep, if they want a title.  Just based on what I see, i would pick them 3rd in the district.

5 hours ago, JimAdler said:

I don't doubt regina will have them ready by district, but if there was ever a year where hardin took a step back, its this year.  These girls will have to work extra hard to earn their keep, if they want a title.  Just based on what I see, i would pick them 3rd in the district.

That’s definitely a down year for Hardin if you really think they get third in district because everyone else in the district couldn’t be much better than average unless I’m missing something 

On 7/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, BBfan061 said:

That’s definitely a down year for Hardin if you really think they get third in district because everyone else in the district couldn’t be much better than average unless I’m missing something 

I hear this is the best team buna has had in a WHILE 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:35 PM, kenny powers said:

Yes 

I saw somebody wearing a hardin volleyball shirt that said something along the lines of 21 out of the last 23 district championships 

regina has had a great run there in hardin

3 hours ago, JimAdler said:

I saw somebody wearing a hardin volleyball shirt that said something along the lines of 21 out of the last 23 district championships 

regina has had a great run there in hardin

Do you think that is a product of great coaching in X's and O's or more that she has the Johnny and Joe's that most small schools don't have? 

1 hour ago, kenny powers said:

Do you think that is a product of great coaching in X's and O's or more that she has the Johnny and Joe's that most small schools don't have? 

i think its always a combination of both no matter the sport....i mean obviously she has built a program where she expects high level dedication, therefore resulting in kids buying in at an early age?  no doubt hardin is winning without athletes in this sport, due to commitment because in any other sport, they get massacred by athletes.  just my two cents but who knows really