Lamar vs. Wyoming Updates/WYOMING WINS

KFDM COOP

Guest coachacola

Halftime.  LU leads 36-30.

Kenny Dawkins leads LU scorers with 11.  LU shot 51.9% compared to 47.8% for Wyoming.  LU has 12 assists and only 8 turnovers.  Wyoming has 12 TOs.  Wyoming has 13 rebounds, LU 12. Sanders for LU has 1 point, 2 fouls, and 3 rebounds.  If he comes alive in the 2nd half then LU should win easily.

Guest coachacola

54-51 Lamar with 8:17 left in the game.  Sanders is having a bad night: 3pts, 5 TOs, 4 rebounds and 4 personal fouls.  He still hasn't found his groove this season.  Our starting guards are leading the way in scoring.  Nwevo is having a pretty good game with 6 points and 3 rebounds.

Lamar Drops Hard-Fought Game to Wyoming, 75-71

Kenny Dawkins scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Cardinals.

Nov. 19, 2007

Box Score

BEAUMONT - Junior Kenny Dawkins scored a game-high 22 points, but Wyoming placed four players in double-figures and grabbed a come-from-behind 75-71 win Monday night in non-conference men's basketball action at the Montagne Center.

Lamar dropped to 1-2 on the season and Wyoming improved to 2-1 overall. The Cardinals remain at home to host Oral Roberts Saturday at 7 p.m. The Golden Eagles won last year's meeting in Tulsa and hold a 9-4 all-time series advantage.

Leading 36-30 at halftime, the Cardinals opened the second half with three straight field goals. Darren Hopkins nailed a three-pointer, Lamar Sanders hit a layup and Matthew Barrow hit a long three-pointer to give Lamar a 12-point lead, 44-32, with 18:03 left in the game.

Wyoming responded with a 14-0 run to get back in the game. Joseph Taylor started the run with an alley-oop dunk. Another Taylor dunk tied the game at 44-44 and Adam Waddell's jumper capped the run and gave the Cowboys a 46-44 lead at 12:43.

The game see-sawed back and forth for the rest of the game. A Barrow 3-pointer at 10:28 gave the Cardinals a 52-48 lead. A pair of free throws by Lawrence Nwevo and a layup by Dawkins pushed the Cardinals' lead to five, 58-53, with 6:15 left.

The Cowboys responded with a 9-0 run to take a 67-61 lead. Taylor hit a jumper, Ewing made a pair of free throws and a layup by Brad Jones gave Wyoming the lead for good at 62-61 at 3:12. Ewing nailed a 3-pointer from the right wing and a steal and resulting dunk by Taylor capped the run at 1:12.

Lamar twice cut the lead to three in the closing minute, on a pair of free throws by Sanders and a layup by Barrow, which made the score 70-67 at :39. The Cowboys made 6 of 8 at the free throw line over the final 49 seconds to seal the win.

Wyoming shot a blistering 73.7 percent (14-of-19) from the field in the second half, including 50 percent (3-of-6) from 3-point range, and also made 14 of 19 free throws in the second stanza.

Lamar shot an impressive 51.9 percent from the field in the first half to take a 36-30 lead into the locker room at halftime. However, the Cardinals managed just 35.7 percent aim in the second half.

Dawkins was 7 of 12 from the field, including 5 of 7 from 3-point range, and 3 of 4 from the free throw line scoring a career-high 22 points. He also had six assists, two rebounds and two steals. Barrow added 14 points on 5 of 11 shooting from the field, including 4 of 10 from 3-point range. Hopkins chipped in 12 points to give the Cardinals three double-figure scorers.

Lamar shot 43.6 percent (24-of-55) from the field, 37.9 percent (11-of-29) from 3-point range and 85.7 percent (12-of-14) from the free throw line for the game. The Cardinals defense forced 22 Wyoming turnovers which led 28 points.

Ewing led four players in double-figures with 18 points on 4 of 7 shooting from the field, including 3 of 5 from 3-point range, and 7 of 8 from the free throw line. Taylor added 13 points and a game-high nine rebounds off the bench. Adam Waddell and Jones each added 12 points.

For the game, Wyoming shot 59.5 percent (25-of-42) from the field, 37.5 percent (6-of-16) from 3-point range and 79.2 percent (19-of-24) from the free throw line. The Cowboys outrebounded Lamar 29 to 24 and outscored the Cardinals 28 to 18 in points in the paint.

This is not a slc championship team. My patience with Roc is wearing thin. With the current talent, we should have

won by 20. We have no inside game. We can't win with guards shooting only 3's. What good is Custer if he

can't take JD's place. No defense, Guards can't shoot on their home court, inside players timid, Coaches seem confused.

Wyoming is ranked 230. I expect LU will drop to around 300. Remeber that for those who think I am being too harsh.

This is not a slc championship team. My patience with Roc is wearing thin. With the current talent, we should have

won by 20. We have no inside game. We can't win with guards shooting only 3's. What good is Custer if he

can't take JD's place. No defense, Guards can't shoot on their home court, inside players timid, Coaches seem confused.

Wyoming is ranked 230. I expect LU will drop to around 300. Remeber that for those who think I am being too harsh.

Someone did there homework!!!!!! It is TIME for Lamar to show big improvements.

Guest coachacola

Let's see, the only 2 kids Roc has signed out of HS are sitting on the bench.  This is year 2 with Roc as head coach and we're still questioning his coaching skills.  Counting his 3 years as Tubb's assistant, Lamar is still hovering around .500 every year.  No inside game and no pressure defense.  I look for Lamar to have a horrible road record again this year.

Guest coachacola

Lamar ranked #306

Embarrassing....

That ranking is going to flunctuate wildly the first few weeks of the season.  But with 3 seniors starters returning and a good PG this season I thought they'd be better than this.  I'll be at the game Saturday so I'll see first hand how good or bad this team is.

Guest abovetherim

I agree with all the statements above. This was a total team effort and the team lost. I am very disappointed but it's too early in the season to be giving up on the season. These last two teams Lamar played are better than anyone LU will face in conference.

The killer is the young man Taylor is a guy Roc recruit out of LACC and he chose Wyoming over Lamar and I'd say he was the difference in the game.

One other note is our best player is Lamar Sanders and he played a terrible game and Lamar still almost won. I know everyone hates the words "almost won" in a sentence about sports but in this case I think if LS plays like he is capable Lamar would have won the game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami