5AD1 Redemption

AledoAlumni

Redemption   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will have the best season in '23?

• Denton Ryan
    • Cedar Park
    • Lake Belton
    • Crosby

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:38 AM, Cougtalk said:

I think all four will rebound but I think DR has the talent to be unstoppable most years. 

Lets hope not lol. At least for another season. I found a stat that it was the first time since '07 that Ryan had not been to the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

• 1 month later...

Excited for this upcoming season! Lots of storylines to go over and see how things play out.

D1- Unfortunately for the El Paso schools they got swept in the 1st round last season. You'd hope they have a team or two could break through and make a good run but it does not seem like it is in the cards for the schools out West. It would be cool if they and the RGV would meet halfway and put on a showcase of games.

D2- Really solid district and had a decent playoff showing overall. Every team won in the first round and Abilene made it to round 3! For the most part Amarillo Tascosa was a top 10 team in D1 but got upset in the 2nd round by Burleson Centennial. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back from a disappointing playoff run. On the other hand lets see how Abilene responds to the success they had, can they repeat it or will they take a step back? The team I will be keeping an eye on again will be Lubbock Cooper. I know they have had a good amount of success lately and are a tough team come playoff time.

D3- Does Denton Ryan bounce back, not only in district but the playoffs? They finished 3rd last season in district then lost in the 1st round to Red Oak. You know they will be ready to redeem themselves. They are a really good program and should be a playoff team yet again. This district will be really fun to watch because there are several teams fighting for one playoff spot. It would not surprise me if Northwest, The Colony, Brewer, or Azle won the last spot. All those teams have made the playoffs recently and are decent teams. Each week in D3 is going to count when district rolls around!

D4- Arguably the most solid district in R1. Midlothian was the team that had Aledo on the ropes and was the closest to knocking us out of the tournament last year. They are a hard working group and you know they will want to finish the job this coming season. Lake Belton was a team I was high on last season, the more I watched them the more I liked them. They were physcial with some good football players that could score from anywhere on the field. I'd think it will be Midlothian and Lake Belton locked in then some combination of Red Oak, Shoemaker, Cleburne in the playoffs. Could be the same four from last time but they are a tough group.

D5- This district is top heavy with Mansfield Timeberview. They played Longview well last year then ran out of gas. I dont think they will have any trouble winning district again but it will be interesting to see which NRH school finishes second, Birdville or Richland. Personally I'd think Richland but who knows.

D6- This is the district that is very difficult to get a handle on. Which Frisco team is going to be the best this year? Seems like they all have good seasons then they have trouble repeating. Reedy, Lone Star, Frisco, and Wakeland have all been good these past several years and you just never know how each program will be until mid-season. My pick would be Frisco Lone Star. We have played them in non-distrct before and their coach gets that team ready to play.

D7- How do the legacy programs respond? Lufkin and Tyler missing the playoffs is not normal for those programs. Do they get things fixed or spend another season ready for basketball? Forney and McKinney North are interesting teams. I dont think they are near the top of that district but can they both make a playoff run? Speaking of the playoffs, Longview and Lancaster. If you follow 5AD1 then you know those are two extremely talented teams and they have very high goals. I'd be surprised if we did not see this game twice next season. I know we said that last year but its possible both of these teams will be improved. I know that is a big statement but it is possible.

D8- This is the UIL odd ball district. They are R2 but really they are R3 pushed up. Interesting district because you have five teams fighting for four playoff spots. Crosby, Barbers Hill , Port Arthur Memorial, La Porte and Kingwood Park could all make it. Last season it came down to the final week of the season before the dust settled. I would expect the same thing next season. I know Crosby got a new Coach but I think they will be fine. They just have to worry about other distractions.

Admittingly, I do not know as much about R3 & R4. But nonetheless here are some thoughts.

D9- Overall this district is similar to D1, both got swept in the first round of the playoffs. Galveston Ball went 10-0 rolling into the playoffs and got beat 17-7 by Magnolia West in the first round. I would think they would want to redeem themselves like Denton Ryan but I dont know much about their program or football culture. I think we will see this season how they respond. There district was a close race with Ball, Waltrip, Sterling, Madison all making the tournament and Milby missing out by one win.

D10- There are some big names in this district, Manvel, Richmond Foster, and Angleton are all solid programs. Each have made good runs over the past several years and I think all three will make the playoffs. I know Foster missed out last season but I have heard some interviews with the Foster coach and he seems like a guy who can get things going in the right direction again. One team I almost forgot to mention was Fulshear, they knocked out a good A&M Consolidated team last season and played Smithson Valley well. I know the final score was not as close but keep an eye on Fulshear. If they have a good amount of kids returning then they will be a R3 player.

D11- Home of the '22 State finalist College Station Cougars. This program has been very successful since it started, no reason to think they will not be a playoff team and a tough out come playoff time. I know they have a good young RB that will be relied upon. A&M Consolidated is a team that feels like they have been knocking on the door for years now. Whether its their games against Crosby or Fort Bend Marshall, they have had good teams that cant seem to get over the hump. Will this season be different? I hope so. Speaking of hope, Cedar Park needs to avoid that 4th place spot and make another playoff run. They are a good program and have high standards. Lets see if they can rebound.

D12- Smithson Valley was a surprise team to me last season. They had a really good playoff run. I dont know much about them but I could see them winning district again and make another run to the region final. The tough part for this district is they play D11 in the first round of the playoffs. It is possible depending on how many SV returns, that they could have a better year than last season. Also does Boerne Champion make a push for a playoff spot? I know they had some success at the division 2 level but they need to pick it up in division 1.

D13- Southside has been the class of this district. They are the only one who made it past the first round last season. This district was competitive having five teams fighting for four spots. Southside, Southwest, Legacy, Medina Valley, and Cigarroa are the most likely teams to make up the four playoff spots. It comes down to how many each team returns. Regardless it will be a tough draw for each of those teams come tournament time.

D14- One of the more interesting districts in R4, headlined by CC Memorial and CC Miller. They both made very good runs last year and have shown they can make deep playoff runs. I have no reason to doubt they will be two of the better teams in this district again. My question is can both Victoria teams make the tournament again? I may be off on this but it seems like either East or West will have a good season then have a let down. Do either one push for a district championship? I dont think so but we will see.

D15- Edinburg Vela and PSJA North were both pleasant surprises last year. They had really good seasons and I expect them to be good yet again. PSJA North is returning a boat load of kids and is my early favorite to win R4. Last season had a 3 way tie for 3rd. Ultimately McAllen Rowe was left out of the playoffs. Will it come down to those teams again or will a team like McAllen who made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs secure a playoff spot and not worry about tie breakers?

D16- This district had a 3 way tie for 1st, Weslaco East, Brownsville Vets Memorial, and Harlingen South. Each of these teams had a good season. Memorial went 3 rounds deep and are looking to build off of the playoff experience. Can they repeat the same success or does a team like Harlingen South take a step in the right direction and make a run for themselves?

1 hour ago, AledoAlumni said:

Ridiculously early prediction

R1- Aledo

R2- Longview 

R3- Smithson Valley

R4- PSJA North 

I don't know alot about R3 and R4 like I normally would, but non-bias: I'd switch LV with Lancaster in R2. I think Lancaster is going to be VERY good this season. You know my bias pick already 😁💪🏾

14 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I don't know alot about R3 and R4 like I normally would, but non-bias: I'd switch LV with Lancaster in R2. I think Lancaster is going to be VERY good this season. You know my bias pick already 😁💪🏾

I agree Lancaster will be a really good team. They just have to prove they can win big games in the playoffs. Is your bias pick Barbers Hill lol? 

1 hour ago, AledoAlumni said:

Not at all. Different bet, different amount I'd wager. Unless you are talking about Buddy. How is he going to like your post but not offer terms lol. 

Because I'm not the one who initiated a bet.  I'm not betting you atp. 🤷🏾‍♂️