83 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins??

• Nederland
    • Dayton

PORT ARTHUR NEWS GAME OF THE WEEK: DAYTON AT NEDERLAND

Broncos, Dogs eye big plays

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- For two teams without their intended starting quarterbacks, these Dayton and Nederland teams certainly have still managed to position themselves into their customary big games.

None have been any bigger for the Broncos (5-3 and 4-1) and the Bulldogs (7-1 and 4-1) than tonight's 22-4A showdown in Bulldog Stadium at 7 p.m.

Tonight's winner stays alive for a 4A playoff trip and a possible share of the district championship. Tonight's loser finds both of those season-long goals suddenly in serious jeopardy.

"We told our kids 'we earned the right to be in this kind of game and they have too'," Nederland's Larry Neumann said. "There's nobody disillusioned by the impact of this game."

Since league leader Port Neches-Groves (6-2 and 4-1) and upstart challenger Lumberton (7-1 and 4-1) have their own serious playoff designs, the win will not clinch anything for either Dayton or Nederland as it did last year.

Coach Jerry Stewart's Broncos clinched the 22-4A title a year ago, convincingly defeating Nederland 35-7 on a chilly night in Bronco Stadium. Such a trophy will be unavailable to claim in this rematch. That's because Nederland goes to Lumberton and PN-G comes to Dayton next week for the regular-season finales.

If Neumann or Stewart would prefer to see one particular element from his team tonight, each would love to witness a flawless performance from its defense. That's exactly why many Southeast Texas forecasters and state-wide experts predict the Broncos to prevail tonight.

Many of their fellow 22-4A coaching cohorts think so too.

Dayton has shut out three of its last four opponents, including a 20-0 spanking of talented Beaumont Central last Friday at Dayton. The Broncos stick three elusive and tenacious pass rushers on the defensive line and play about seven to eight defenders a good bit off the ball.

That's deceptive because Dayton's closing speed enables Stewart's pursuit posse to shut lanes off quickly and prevent big plays. None of Dayton's defenders are any more dependable than alert safety Ford Smesny and gritty nose guard Brent Kimmy.

"Our kids just played awesome on defense last week," said Stewart, whose Broncos have allowed 230 yards a game (third-best in 22-4A). "They just played a great game... We're just so little. At first they (Central's blockers) were giving our defensive line some problems but we finally adjusted a couple of things and got after 'em."

Dayton planned to defend its 22-4A title rather smoothly before highly touted quarterback Cody Green sustained an early-season ankle fracture. The Broncos' deadliest weapon -- slot receiver A.J. Dugat -- received the second shot at quarterback before versatile senior Gregory Charles moved into the spot after an 8-7 district opening loss at Lumberton.

Behind Charles' guidance, Dayton is 4-0 with three shutouts. Charles may take the snap and distribute the ball but Dugat basically must be contained and handled every single second. He's the guy that Dravannti Johnson, Chris Gutierrez and the Nederland defenders must keep under control.

A speed-burner with an extra gear below 4.5 in the 40, Dugat generally lines up as the inside receiver and often serves as the motion man. The Broncos often line up with three receivers, overloading one side of the field. Give the guy any space and Dugat delivers a Jamaal Charles-octane.

"Dugat is special," Nederland's Neumann said. "He's got something different. He has special skills and we will have to be aware of him all night."

Dayton wins, but not easily.  From Bulldogs point of view, if they can get that running game going, they'll be in it.  From Broncos standpoint, you have to get right up on those recievers and bump them onthe line and mess up that timeing.  Also keep the slot reciever of Nederland in check.  I predict dayton 28 -24.

don't you get kicked out of the wigwam for that kind of stuff?! ;D

I cant speak for the rest of the INDIANS but i go to the Nederland games if PNG is way out of town I always hope they win except during the week of MCM  .....I know that some of there fans do the same because i have bought them tickets!

i can't call this game.  dayton's only real test was against lumberton, and they're a different team now (you can call central a test, i suppose, but they're having a very tough year).  other than that, they've been playing the league's cupcakes for the past several weeks.  nederland's only real challenge has been png.  the only common opponents are teams that both teams would expect to beat.  it'd be nice to have pn-g results or lumberton results to compare.  this should be a really interesting game. i would not be surprised if one of these teams wins by 2-3 touchdowns, and i wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to the last second.  basically, anything can happen. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami