**WOS 34 HF 7 Final/comments**

KFDM COOP

Are you freaking kidding me?? One touchdown at Half??? Giddings will kill us if a change isn't made. heck Kirbyville will whip us. I sat there and put up with that censored for the last time.

The coach cant help if the qb overthrows a wide open receiver three times all for what would have been touchdowns.  And you also cant blame him when the rb drops a wide open pass which would also have been a touchdown.  The game was sloppy but the playcalling was better.

Mustangs rush past Longhorns, 34-7

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — DePauldrick Garrett ran 15 times for 150 yards for West Orange-Stark as the Mustangs extended their District 21-3A winning streak to 18 games with a 34-7 win over Hamshire-Fannett in both teams’ regular season opener Friday night at Dan R. Hooks Stadium.

WO-S (4-0, 1-0) racked up 276 yards on the ground and finished with 332 yards — 240 yards of it coming in the second half when the Mustangs were able to extend a 7-0 halftime lead at Homecoming.

“The kids came out and played a good game,†said Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “It took us awhile to find our timing. It’s tough when you have an open date and then have Homecoming to boot. The kids certainly weren’t satisfied with the way they played in the first half and they really shined in the second.â€

Hooks was glad to see Garrett running like he did as a junior when he rushed for 1,389 yards and 17 touchdowns.

“DePauldrick really had his breakout game tonight,†Hooks said. “He was certainly due and he really stepped up his game. He’s always had tremendous vision and tonight he proved that he’s one of the better backs in the area. I thought our offensive line played solid and our running game really got us going in the second half.â€

The Mustangs limited the Longhorns (2-2, 0-1) to 206 total yards.

West Orange-Stark zipped from its own 43 yard line all the way down to the H-F 10 to open the second half behind Garrett’s strong running that netted him 41 yards on four totes. However, the Mustangs coughed up the ball at the 10 on a bad exchange and Longhorn defensive lineman Alex Breaux fell on the loose ball with 9:15 left in the third.

The Mustangs defense rose up and forced a quick H-F punt and it didn’t take long for the Mustangs offense to navigate 44 yards to go up 14-0.

Quintavious Garrett picked up a quick 11-yard gain and then DePauldrick Garrett snared the honors, taking a draw and outrunning the Longhorns with a 33-yard touchdown scamper up the middle to give WO-S a 14-0 cushion with 6:31 left in the third quarter.

The Longhorns didn’t back down, though, as senior quarterback Randall Courville led H-F on a seven-play, 60-yard scoring march on the next possession.

Fullback Dustin East had a tough 12-yard run on second-and-20 that got the Longhorns to the WO-S 45 and on fourth-and-3 Courville took a quarterback draw straight up the middle and went 38 yards for a touchdown. Blake Tiner’s extra point was good as H-F pulled to within 14-7 with 2:41 left in the third.

Courville finished the night with 56 yards on 15 carries and competed 6-of-14 passes for 52 yards.

The Mustangs continued to find their offensive groove, pushing their lead to 21-7 with a well-orchestrated, eight-play, 77-yard scoring drive.

Four runs by the Garretts netted 31 yards and quarterback Ortavious Hypolite connected with receiver Ronnie Dennis on a 16-yard strike on a critical third-down play that got to midfield. After two nine-yard runs by the Garretts, Hypolite found a streaking Dennis in the right side of the end zone and the senior hauled in a 30-yard touchdown strike on the first play of the fourth quarter to put the Mustangs up 21-7 with 11:53 remaining.

Dennis finished with three catches for 52 yards. Hypolite finished 4-of-12 for 56 yards.

Mustang senior linebacker Cory Bell sealed the deal for the Mustangs when he picked off a Courville pass at the Mustangs 40 and dashed 60 yards down the right sideline for a score as WO-S pushed its advantage to 27-7 with 9:35 left in the game.

The Mustangs put icing on the cake, engineering a three-play, 49-yard scoring drive midway through the fourth. DePauldrick Garrett burst out on a 35-yard run to the H-F 11, and senior tailback Kevin Robinson finished it up with an 11-yard blast up the middle for a touchdown with 7:15 remaining.

Quintavious Garrett had 49 yards on seven totes, and Hypolite had 40 yards on six carries.

After battling with the Longhorns in a defensive slugfest in the first period, the Mustangs put their first points on the board on their first series of the second quarter..

After a Dennis 20-yard punt return, the Mustangs were able to set up shop at the H-F 42 and zipped that distance in six plays, all coming on the ground.

Hypolite had a big 18-yard keeper to the 24 on the first play of the drive. DePauldrick Garrett picked up 12 yards on two quick carries and Quintavious Garrett capped it with a a superb sweep around the side and got a couple outstanding blocks from the Mustangs offensive front to score from 6 yards out. Kicker James Haynes’ point-after was good as WO-S snared a 7-0 advantage with 9:12 remaining in the first half.

There wasn’t much offense to find for either team in the first 24 minutes, but the Mustangs managed to outgain the Longhorns 92-71.

“The first half was a little sloppy; but, give Hamshire credit, their kids battled hard,†Hooks said. “We had a few big pass plays that we either overthrew or that were dropped and that hurt a little bit.â€

Hypolite led the Mustangs run game in the first half with 42 yards on five carries. He completed 2-of-8 passes for 10 yards and was picked off by Longhorns Hagan Daigle late in the first period.

The Longhorns mustered just four first-half first downs against the “Chain Gang†defense. Daigle was the leading ground gainer with 33 yards on five carries. Longhorn quarterback Courville, who was sacked four times in the half, completed 3-of-5 passes for 20 yards.

The Mustangs can now turn their focus towards their road trip to Kirbyville this Friday to face the Wildcats — 21-6 winners over Jasper on Friday.

“That should be a good one,†Hooks said. “I know they’ll be ready for us at their place. They (Kirbyville) were picked to win the district by some folks. We’re going to have to slow down a pretty darn good offense. I think our kids will be ready though.â€

Guest LCM Volleyball

Are you freaking kidding me?? One touchdown at Half??? Giddings will kill us if a change isn't made. heck Kirbyville will whip us. I sat there and put up with that censored for the last time.

I'm surprised they only had 7 at half.

Wow, your really gonna show them. Not going to another game? Man thats tragic. With that attitude, you shouldnt be there anyway. I guess you didnt get the memo....WE WON!!!  And yes, do the kids(what is all about anyway) a favor and go watch LCM with that attitude.

I do think that there were more plays that could have been made by the players, but has anybody noticed that our half time scores this year have been vs. dayton - 0, vs. lcm - 0, vs. bay city - 6, and now vs. a tough hf team at home 7. I am not sure how well our wonderful oc is planning for our opponents.  The not enough athletes excuse is really being disproven.  I mean really we only scored 27 offensive points against hf at home.  No disrespect to hf, but we have about 5 times the talent of hf.  To me there seems to be confusion at times on the sidelines, especially in the first half.  If you watch Coach T and the defense they are constently talking to their players about what has just happened in the game.  Thank GOD for CORNEL THOMPSON.

I do think that there were more plays that could have been made by the players, but has anybody noticed that our half time scores this year have been vs. dayton - 0, vs. lcm - 0, vs. bay city - 6, and now vs. a tough hf team at home 7. I am not sure how well our wonderful oc is planning for our opponents.  The not enough athletes excuse is really being disproven.  I mean really we only scored 27 offensive points against hf at home.  No disrespect to hf, but we have about 5 times the talent of hf.  To me there seems to be confusion at times on the sidelines, especially in the first half.  If you watch Coach T and the defense they are constently talking to their players about what has just happened in the game.  Thank GOD for CORNEL THOMPSON.

:D :D Not to stray from the mellow mood, but Cornel doesn't "talk" to his players. Its more like puting the fear of GOD in them to not mess up! :D :D Something else that is so funny. If you have ever been a WOS player, by all the screaming and yelling that Dan Ray and Cornel do to each other on the sidelines would make you think they were sworn enemies!! ;D Man, I love those guys! ;D

Guest Wildcat 08

Da cats will score plenty for ya.

We scored 34 - more than you scored against Jasper (worse record than HF), Cleveland (WINLESS), and Carthage (gave up more points to 2A Newton). Cleveland gave up more points to both Lumberton and Diboll, and y'all only topped HJ by five points. Your point total against Jasper was the second lowest against them in the first four games (lower than Livingston and my boys in Newton). You're not exactly looking like an offensive juggernaut. On top of that, your D looks like it gives up points like government cheese. Plus, the only team you've played that was a challenge was Carthage. WO-S has been playing "up" every week until district started.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder