**High Island at Baytown Christian Comments**

BCA holds off Cards, 20-14

By Dave Rogers

Published September 8, 2007

After a hot, humid night of banging bodies with a beefy High Island team, there was little bark left in the Baytown Christian Bulldogs at the end of their game Friday night.

But there was more than enough fight.

The Dogs used two late interceptions by Frank Frazier and Luke Davis to hold off the Cardinals 20-14 in the non-district contest at Sterling High’s Auxiliary Stadium, squaring their season record at 1-1.

“Our defense seemed like it was on the field the whole second half,†BCA coach John DeRulle said. “To be able to come up with a couple of big plays like that was really something.

“We definitely have some things we need to work on, but when it comes down to it, we came out with a win.â€

BCA took a 20-0 lead in the first quarter and had two more touchdowns called back by penalties in the second period.

BCA’s offense picked up just one first down per quarter after the opening period and finished with six.

High Island (0-2) ran 61 plays to 31 for BCA total as the Bulldogs held on for dear life in the second half.

“I just told my teammates ‘Everybody’s got to step it up.’ I told them I was going to try my hardest and give 100 percent, ‘so you guys give 100 percent,’†said Frazier, the running back/middle linebacker who was the star of the game on both sides of the ball for BCA.

“We pulled it out with two picks in a row.â€

Frazier had two first-half fumble recoveries for the Bulldogs and it was his two TDs that were called back. One came on a 53-yard fumble return, the other was a 42-yard touchdown run on the very next series.

“I don’t put any pressure on my teammates,†he said about the penalties that took his points off the board. “They were just trying to help me make a big play.

“I’m sorry it happened, but we’ve just got to shake it off.â€

High Island scored with four seconds left in the first half to avoid a complete whitewash in the first two periods.

Cardinal quarterback Tiner George passed 12 yards to Murphy Hunt to put the visitors from the east on the board.

Then the Cardinals drove 45 yards in nine plays to score again on the first play of the final quarter. Running back T.J. Kahla followed his one-yard TD run with a two-point conversion run to leave High Island just one six-pointer away from tying the game, a touchdown and extra point away from winning.

After recovering a surprise onsides kickoff, it appeared the Cardinals might do just that. They drove to a first-and-goal at the BCA 8-yard line before Frazier stepped in front of George’s pass at the goal line.

After a BCA punt, the Cardinals threatened again, but this time Davis, the BCA quarterback who was making a rare appearance on defense, picked off George with 1:09 remaining and returned it 64 yards to the High Island 11.

With the Cardinals having already burned all their timeouts, Davis took a knee three times to end the game.

“We were in a pinch where we had some guys going down,†DeRulle said of his two-way players, many of whom suffered heat cramps. “Luke Davis stepped up and gave us a real senior effort.â€

Chris Nightengale had scored twice to give BCA its big early lead.

He followed Frazier’s first fumble recovery with a 47-yard score on a third-and-18 pass from Davis. Then he picked off a George pass and returned it 20 yards for another score.

BCA opened the game with a defensive stop of the Cardinals, then Davis passed 19 yards to Nathan Peterson. After four runs for 20 yards by Frazier, Corti Wilson got the Bulldogs’ first points on a five-yard end around in the sixth minute of the game.

Davis completed 5 of 9 passes for 105 yards and Peterson (2 for 30) was the only receiver with multiple catches. Frazier had 10 carries for 44 yards to lead a 69-yard rushing game for the Dogs.

High Island rushed 43 times for 138 yards, with Kahla topping the charts for the Cardinals with 47 yards on 12 totes. George completed 7 of 18 passes with three interceptions for 89 yards.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124