advice needed!

Guest christglorified

Meet with the parents before you ever meet with the kids. Tell them who you are and a little about yourself. Tell them what they can expect from you and what you expect from them. Not all kids can throw, or block but the can all hustle and pay attention. I also tell them if they have a problem with anything that I'm doing to talk to me after practice or after the game away from the kids and talk to me like an adult. I tell them if they don't embarrass me I promise not to embarrass them and then neither of us will embarass their child. This little speech has worked very well for me. I've never had a parent get out of line..........yet!

Good luck and be patient.

Meet with the parents before you ever meet with the kids. Tell them who you are and a little about yourself. Tell them what they can expect from you and what you expect from them. Not all kids can throw, or block but the can all hustle and pay attention. I also tell them if they have a problem with anything that I'm doing to talk to me after practice or after the game away from the kids and talk to me like an adult. I tell them if they don't embarrass me I promise not to embarrass them and then neither of us will embarass their child. This little speech has worked very well for me. I've never had a parent get out of line..........yet!

Good luck and be patient.

Great Advice.  I would always have this meeting, put the rules and expectations on paper and pass them out. The biggest headache are parents, if the team consist of new players you need to get a grip on the parents quick. If most of the players have played before they should know what to expect. This does put you the "new" guy in the limelight, that's where experienced assistants will help.  Thanks for volunteering and wanting to do a good job,  we need more like you in all the sports.

teach proper techinques and fundamentals, I see so many kids that don't know how to tackle it's scary.. and a spinal injury waiting to happen

Ding! Ding! Ding! ........ we finally have a winner!

Teach them kids some basic fundamentals and make football fun for 'em and you'll make their future Jr. & Hs. coaches very happy.

Another thing I'll add, remember you aint Tom Landry and you aint coaching the Dallas Cowboys. IMO the worst thing a little league coach can do is to allow winning & losing to get personal. At this age it's about teaching the boys how to play football and not winning or losing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn