Who are the top 5 Beaumont area tennis players of all time?

crash

I only know of a few, since I coached in the area for only a few years.

Michael Wesbrooks (I heard that he beat Andre Agassi at the zoo as a junior, was an all american at LSU, and once the #1 open player in Texas).

Tara Shelander (lived at Newks for a while, and had a successful college career at Sam Houston and Lamar).

Andrew Danos (coached by Tony F, a top 40 super 18, two time state qualifier in 4A, and played college at a smaller school in Maryland).

Just wanted to name a couple and see what everyone knows about the history of Bmt tennis.

What ever happened to Candy McParland from LCM?  She was a great singles player back in the 80's.  She was always our state rep. from this area.  I don't know where or if she played college.  We went to watch her play in Austin our senior year.  We had seen her beat us enough.  She left us at regionals.  I don't know if she would be considered one of the top 5 but she was #1 when we were in school.

Kinda off topic, but fits the tennis history topic.

As far back as I can remember there have only been 2 UIL state champions from this area. If anybody can add to my list, please do.

Glen Turrow  Hardin-Jefferson  3A singles  88?? maybe 89

Jason Catchings Hardin 2A singles 92

State finalist

Salina Aranda Kirbyville  3A girls singles 07

Tyler Word & Scott Carnley Warren 2A doubles 07

I believe Hardin-Jefferson had another winner in 1965. And the Krawl brothers did something in state. I don't remember if they won it, but i do remember hearing they did. HJ has had at least 2 state champions. And im not 100% sure on how many state finalists, but i think it was 1 or 2 as well.

Catchings was a very good player, but he was from Liberty, not Hardin. I played against both Kral bros. and do not remember them winning state even though they were 3A(we were 4A and played them in tourneys but did not follow 3A that much). Turow was outstanding as well as Brady. I cannot believe that I left them off my list. They totally slipped my mind.

You are probably right. I lost track of him. He was a few years older than me if I remember correctly. 4-A and 5-A state were very tough the year I made it. I got beat 6-3 6-1 in the opening round by a guy named Rob Hogan from Wichita Falls who I swore would win it all. lol He lost in straight sets the next round and the guy that beat him lost in the finals. Colligan was also there and lost first round to a phenomenal freshman, I forgot his name. But, he was a very good one. I think he won state that year and the following year in doubles.

• 3 months later...

Catchings was a very good player, but he was from Liberty, not Hardin. I played against both Kral bros. and do not remember them winning state even though they were 3A(we were 4A and played them in tourneys but did not follow 3A that much). Turow was outstanding as well as Brady. I cannot believe that I left them off my list. They totally slipped my mind.

My oldest brother was good friends with Catchings when he lived in Anahuac.  He was a great player as far back as I can remember. 

1. Michael Wesbrooks

2. Scott Stewart

3. Todd Taylor

4. Tara Shelander

5. Kirk Colligan

6. Callie Creighton

7. Andrew Danos

8. Salina Aranda

9.  Jacob Vernon

10. Kody Duplechin

Thats a pretty good list, but where is Scott Carnley? He dominated last year, and he has shown steady improvement for the coming season.

Scott is not even close to making that list, and if you ask him, I bet he would tell you the same thing. If you just go by accomplishments, Scott and Tyler getting 2nd in state is definitely one of the top 10 UIL results all-time for the area. If you go by individual talent, Scott would get crushed by any guy on that list. Scott is a very good 2A player and a solid champ 18, but all the guys on the top 10 list are superchamps.

• 5 weeks later...

Andrew Danos from Lumberton is no doubt in the top five. If you had ever seen him play, you would have been amazed. He barely lost any games much less a set to any local player. He was also a class act on the court, too. He is also a greatAside from being a great player, he is also a great coach. He gives lessons now in the area if there are interested parties. Look him up in Lumberton!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder