Most Overated 22-4a

Who is the most Overated team in 22-4a?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most Overated team in 22-4a?

• Dayton
    • Central
    • Nederland
    • LC-M
    • PN-G
    • Ozen
    • Lumberton
    • Vidor

I am not hyping them as an elite team, and I haven't seen anyone else from Ned doing that.  All we have said is that we will be in the mix for district, just like we have the last few years.  While many of the Ned haters are picking us very low out of spite our point is that we have been in the running every year for the last 11 and were able to make the playoffs. 

As far as DC goes , I don't put that much stock in it because we have gone just as far in the playoffs as the DC , if not further.  Making it to the State championship is the main goal, not the district championship.  Heck, one of the state champs this year was not the #1 team in thier district, so I don't worry about where we are 1-3 in district, as long as we make the playoffs we will try to make a run for the rings.  We didn't win district in '01 but made it to the semifinals.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how you feel, and, though I completely disagree, there's really no point in arguing. I stand by my vote and reasoning, and neither of us will ever see it from the other's perspective. I was just explaining that I did vote for Ned but I'm not a "hater." We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I can understand - but aren't you the guy who used to go off on WO-S posters for our "history lessons?"

As a WO-S fan, I'm not at all "jealous" of Nederland, but I did vote for them - and here's why: I think a lot of people locally - mostly Nederland folks - consider them to be an "elite" team or up there with the best in the state. While I do acknowledge the accomplishment of making the playoffs 11 years straight, I think to be an "elite" team, you should more often than not - or at least HALF of the time, be the best team in your district - regardless what district you're in. At best, since 65, they've shared two district titles.

With all due respect - and the program does deserve respect - I can't consider a team a "great" team if they are always second fiddle to someone else. "Great" teams usually sweep their districts. Several of Nederland's consecutive appearances have been third place tiebreakers. Over that 11-year span, they've lost almost 30 percent of their games (as compared to 18 percent by WO-S, 19 percent by Newton, 32 percent by PN-G,

Now, Nederland is obviously a formidable team, but if we're talking about being "overrated," I'd pick them because I think the term fits. Dayton's record over the last 11 years has been almost identical - 11 straight playoffs and losing about 31 percent of their games - but people rolled their eyes at the start of last season at the suggestion that they would contend for a playoff spot.

Is Ned a "Really consistently strong program?" Yes.

"Great program?" Not yet.

I think LC-M and Lumberton are getting about the amount of credit they deserve. I don't hear anyone hyping them in an over-the-top way.

I don't hear that from Ned fans this year either, but I think folks in mid-Jeff County think of them as a "great program."

I think they are one of the better teams in the area quite often, but never the best, which is how I think some perceive them.

So, from an overall "overrated" perspective, they would have to be my vote.

Excellent post!

I understand how you feel, and, though I completely disagree, there's really no point in arguing. I stand by my vote and reasoning, and neither of us will ever see it from the other's perspective. I was just explaining that I did vote for Ned but I'm not a "hater." We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No problem.  When I was talking about Ned haters, I wasn't referring to you.

The goals each year for Nederland Bulldog football has been and always will be:

1) An outright District Championship

2) Playoff Birth

3) State Championship

None of these three goals are UNattainable to Nederland or anyone for that matter. It takes character, perserverance, and a will to win that surpasses those you line up against week in and week out. And since 1996, Nederland has proven the the area and the state that the Bulldogs are a formittable opponent. One of these days (hopefully this season), Nederland will earn an outright District title and State Championship.

I would have to say that Dayton and Central were the elite last year and it looks like they will be again this year. The way LCM handled PNG last year makes me believe they have the best shot at 3 RD. The PNG Nederland game I believe was a close game with Nederland coming out on top. PNG had a pretty bad year last year by their standards, and most everyone elses, but they have a lot of their kids returning. I would have to say that PNG gets the nod over Nederland this year. However, I too believe that Nederland has an excelent program and with that alone may win against PNG. However, a third place finish for Nederland seemes, to me anyway, not going to happen this year. JMO. But who knows. They have made the play-offs 11 straight years.

I can understand - but aren't you the guy who used to go off on WO-S posters for our "history lessons?"

As a WO-S fan, I'm not at all "jealous" of Nederland, but I did vote for them - and here's why: I think a lot of people locally - mostly Nederland folks - consider them to be an "elite" team or up there with the best in the state. While I do acknowledge the accomplishment of making the playoffs 11 years straight, I think to be an "elite" team, you should more often than not - or at least HALF of the time, be the best team in your district - regardless what district you're in. At best, since 65, they've shared two district titles.

With all due respect - and the program does deserve respect - I can't consider a team a "great" team if they are always second fiddle to someone else. "Great" teams usually sweep their districts. Several of Nederland's consecutive appearances have been third place tiebreakers. Over that 11-year span, they've lost almost 30 percent of their games (as compared to 18 percent by WO-S, 19 percent by Newton, 32 percent by PN-G,

Now, Nederland is obviously a formidable team, but if we're talking about being "overrated," I'd pick them because I think the term fits. Dayton's record over the last 11 years has been almost identical - 11 straight playoffs and losing about 31 percent of their games - but people rolled their eyes at the start of last season at the suggestion that they would contend for a playoff spot.

Is Ned a "Really consistently strong program?" Yes.

"Great program?" Not yet.

I think LC-M and Lumberton are getting about the amount of credit they deserve. I don't hear anyone hyping them in an over-the-top way.

I don't hear that from Ned fans this year either, but I think folks in mid-Jeff County think of them as a "great program."

I think they are one of the better teams in the area quite often, but never the best, which is how I think some perceive them.

So, from an overall "overrated" perspective, they would have to be my vote.

Great post!!!  Couldn't be said any better than this!

The goals each year for Nederland Bulldog football has been and always will be:

1) An outright District Championship

2) Playoff Birth

3) State Championship

None of these three goals are UNattainable to Nederland or anyone for that matter. It takes character, perserverance, and a will to win that surpasses those you line up against week in and week out. And since 1996, Nederland has proven the the area and the state that the Bulldogs are a formittable opponent. One of these days (hopefully this season), Nederland will earn an outright District title and State Championship.

they are not formittable.they are lucky. first of all,they are blessed with the 3 team format of going to the playoffs.(yeah,so is PAM and everyone else).when getting into the playoffs,they get lucky and face the third place team in bi-district and the scrub team in the second rd. then they get tossed in the 3rd...badly. HERE THESE WORDS,NEDERLAND WILL NEVER WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP...EVER!!!

as much as i hate to say it,no one from the triangle will bring home gold,well wo-s got the best chance.

Guest 87CRU79

Nederland has already won a State Championship, and if you are referring to modern times, anybody has a equal shot at making it to the dance.

Titan, I don't know what Memorial powerhouse you pride yourself on, but quit hating on the Mid County schools. And don't come at me with that "I do my homework" crap, why don't you get a life, and let the boys play.

i never claimed PAM as a powerhouse. that "championship" they have is like saying p.a.lincoln won one,which they did in the p.v. league.

sorry buddy,don't kid yourself.i wish/hope everyone can make it far(except nederland)but, this area is so far behind it ain't funny.wo-s is the only school with the formula to get it done.e.c. is next in line.if a state champ is going to be from the triangle,it's going to a small school.

Guest 87CRU79

I don't know if you got stomped by Nederland in high school and never got over it or, just the fact that Nederland has had 11 straight years of playoffs. I hope you find it in yourself to read the facts. I know Nederland will probably not make it to the Ship, but let the boys strive for the goal.

I guess it is diffiult to fathom that reasoning when your team struggles to end with a .500 record every year.

they are not formittable.they are lucky. first of all,they are blessed with the 3 team format of going to the playoffs.(yeah,so is PAM and everyone else).when getting into the playoffs,they get lucky and face the third place team in bi-district and the scrub team in the second rd. then they get tossed in the 3rd...badly. HERE THESE WORDS,NEDERLAND WILL NEVER WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP...EVER!!!

as much as i hate to say it,no one from the triangle will bring home gold,well wo-s got the best chance.

Well hopefully we can change that. It's a new season filled with new faces and high goals. And as far as being "lucky" goes, WHO CARES! We acheive our goals reguardless if we sneek into the playoffs or not. Each team holds the cards to their own destiny. It just happens that our cards play well and it pays off at the most opportune time. Facing any team in the playoffs is important because it's win or go home, DUH! So again, it doesn't matter how you get there or who you play. It's all about winning and meeting your goals.

don't get mad with me out of 71 people 28(ahead in the poles) think the pups are overrated as well.

PAM was not .500 last year and niether was lamarque(state champs that gave nederland a light spanking).tear before that PAM was under .500 due to rita and a spineless coach. 03-04 above .500. 02 above .500.

now who needs to read facts?? fact is most people think nederland is overrated(28 out of 71)

actually only part of that is somewhat true. they are afraid to play PAM and surley woudn't be the "whipping boys". nederland is 0-3 against lamarque,getting whipped easily. p.a.lincoln from 96 lost games that they should of won and it wasn't thier fault they lost and i'll leave it as that.have we forgotten who was the homecoming game for eveyone during the bobby august era???yeah,i know,it was the bullpups.

Not really, lubbockbulldog. I voted ned and explained my vote in great detail. My Mustangs were 5-5 against Ned during that span and 23-6 overall. There's no jealousy among our fans, and there's really not as much among other schools as you apparently think. I know quite a few people who genuinely feel the program is "overrated" - at least compared to the other choices. Big deal.

Like I said from an earlier post, I felt that everyone is pretty much where everyone expected them to be.  I dont' think Nederland is over-rated.  They are right at the 3 spot, where I believe they should be, under my Jags and the Broncos.  Can't take away that impressive 11 year playoff run.  Sounds like a great consistancy to me.  Wish my Jags could be consistant like that, perhaps deep playoff runs. :)

Thanks BMTsoulja, that is a fine way of putting it.

How can any team that makes the playoffs 11 years straight, gets a co-district championship, and plays in the semis in '01 be considered overrated? Saying we're going to win state, the district, or even make the playoffs is what makes people think we are overrating ourselves. I know of no Nederland fans who claim this, except maybe for making the playoffs, which with our recent run, is not being overzealous at all.

not to take anything away from the streak, i might be wrong but in the 11 years dont they only have 1 co-district championship? at least thats how it sounded. but regardless alot of those years they only got in on tie-breakers and coin flips. of course good teams do what they need to do to get in. but two years ago (rita's year) they only got in on a coin flip decided in a waffle house, and pn-g had to stay home even though they were also 3-1 in district

not to take anything away from the streak, i might be wrong but in the 11 years dont they only have 1 co-district championship? at least thats how it sounded. but regardless alot of those years they only got in on tie-breakers and coin flips. of course good teams do what they need to do to get in. but two years ago (rita's year) they only got in on a coin flip decided in a waffle house, and pn-g had to stay home even though they were also 3-1 in district

good point.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124