Top 5 all time best Texas high school basketball teams

Here's my top 5 all time Texas list:

1. 2000 Willowridge

2. 1970 Houston Wheatley

3. 1985 Houston Madison

4. 1972 Dallas Roosevelt

5. 2002 Dallas Lincoln

Also like to mention probably one of the most talented teams ever was 1983 Houston Yates team. They had Ricky Winslow, Carl Holcomb, and three others who were D1 players but this team was poorly coached. They let a very much smaller and less talented Fort Worth Pascal team beat them in the state semis. Pascal was definetly the more disciplined and better coached team.

Well, that's my top 5, let the debate begin.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DickVitale

Chris Bosh did NOT shut down Kendrick....Perk had 22 points 12 rebounds that game, Bosh had 24 and 9 reb....Bosh was NOT even guarding Kendrick, It was Will Langrum (#32) and Bosh was designated back side help....(Though you probably do not understand that concept either since you thought he SHUT Perk down)... ::)

Aggies, that guy from Houston Yates..his name is CARVIN Holcolmbe....played at TCU in the mid 80's......Yes they were good, but did NOT win the title that year, so could not be called an ALL TIME GREAT...Not even an honorable mention...Although you guys do not give our 2001 Ozen team credit, consider this: 36-0 record, average 82 pts per game and only gave up 42 ppg...42.....Were consistently 10 deep.....AND Won the 4A title. Not to mention the best coaching staff in Texas!! ;D....(only kidding, although we were'nt too shabby!) 

Dickey V, instead of coaching you need to become the PR rep for Ozen High School Basketball, because after all, thats all you do. 

Yes Kendrick had good numbers in that game, and was the only player from Ozen that looked like he had a pulse in that game,but in saying that, he didn't look like a Top 10 nationally ranked player.  Even though Bosh didn't guard him, anybody at that game, walked away knowing who was the best player in the state, and it wasn't because Lincoln won.  It was because Bosh was head and shoulders better than Perkins, which isn't the worst thing in the world considering how good Bosh is these days.  Bosh is still the best HS player I've ever watched, with Darrell Arthur a close 2nd. 

And you are totally a homer if you think Ozen is in the Top 5 list of all time Texas High School basketball teams.  They probably make the Top 5 "all-decade" team, but,"all-time" give me a break!!!!

Guest DickVitale

Actually Icky, I defend Ozen on here because people on here love to hate Ozen as you do...Next point, Chris Bosh is one hell of a talent and they were extremely hungry when they played us, but Perk was a JUNIOR that year....11th grade...Bosh had 4 points as a junior in their semi final loss the year before....YES 4 POINTS....I was there doing my JOB scouting them as a potential championship game opponent so I KNOW THIS IS FACT.....People love to say that Chris "outplayed" Perk that night, which could not be further from the truth.  Our supporting cast had probably the worst night at the worst possible time, but Perk showed he belonged among the country's best AS A JUNIOR, and we were down 3 at the half and down 6 with 3:00 to play. They beat us, it happens...Next point...I did not say that our 2001 team should have been best all-time, I said that that team could have been brought up in the conversation due to the fact that we were undefeated, and dominated our opponents the way we did...I will continue to defend Ozen because I can't stand when people who don't know ( such as you) attempt to make statements about Ozen as if they are in the know...

Guest DickVitale

No, I did not...I am fine where I am....WH is not exactly...uhhhhhh...a colorful place...if you get my drift.... ;).....I hear the football coach is going to have to coach them this season....Is that true?

Guest DickVitale

Definitely!! The 06 SOC team was really good, but I think the 05 team was dynamite!!! Kevin Rogers AND Darrell Arthur, along with those guards, and Jerel Hastings finishing on the break.....WOW!

Chris Bosh did NOT shut down Kendrick....Perk had 22 points 12 rebounds that game, Bosh had 24 and 9 reb....Bosh was NOT even guarding Kendrick, It was Will Langrum (#32) and Bosh was designated back side help....(Though you probably do not understand that concept either since you thought he SHUT Perk down)... ::)

Aggies, that guy from Houston Yates..his name is CARVIN Holcolmbe....played at TCU in the mid 80's......Yes they were good, but did NOT win the title that year, so could not be called an ALL TIME GREAT...Not even an honorable mention...Although you guys do not give our 2001 Ozen team credit, consider this: 36-0 record, average 82 pts per game and only gave up 42 ppg...42.....Were consistently 10 deep.....AND Won the 4A title. Not to mention the best coaching staff in Texas!! ;D....(only kidding, although we were'nt too shabby!) 

Look Dick, if you read my post carefully, I never said that Yates was a top 5 or a honorable mention. I just mentioned that team because of the wealth of talent they had that year and if better coached they could have been worthy of a top 5 listing. You are right, it was Carvin not Carl.

As for Ozen goes, they were very good that year, but not top 5 good. Maybe a top 15-20 team of all time. The 2001 Willowridge team, the LaPort team that was mentioned, SOC 2006, a FW Dunbar team, and a couple of others would round out a top ten in my book. Ozen could make top 20, but there are several teams from the 70's and 80's that I thought were better. Just my opinion, of course.

Guest DickVitale

Point taken....FYI...We (Ozen 2001) beat Willowridge in a scrimmage that year, and I realize that it was only a scrimmage, but it showed that we could play with the best...I must admit, though, I was shocked at how we handled them that day!!  :D

Dickey V, I love the fact that you like to stir the pot.  Am I a local Ozen fan, not really.  But am I a Ozen hater, heck NO!!!  If I remember correctly, earlier this year after the State Tourney I said this year was Boutte's best job yet, and that I was more impressed with the improvement of that team than any of his other teams, and was in Austin cheering for them to take home the gold.  But in your eyes, because SE Texans like myself don't put them up with the likes of the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics, then I am a HATER.  WOW!!!! 

And whether Perkins was a Junior or Senior he was outplayed by Bosh,  and like I said that is not the worst thing in the world.  And the reason I say that is because, when I walked away from the Drum that day, a friend and I both agreed we may never see a player (Bosh) that good again at the State tourney.  Its nothing against Perkins he's still making his millions for the Celtics, but Bosh was then and still is, better than him.  One last thing, of couse Perkins belonged with the Top players, he was a 7ft with amazing upside and potential.  He just wasn't in that elite category at that time. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

02 Dalls Lincoln???? More like 2002 Dallas Chris Bosh's. He carried that team like no other. He also shutdown Kendrick Perkins in the state finals.

Actually Bosh had a PG on that team, that went baseline and yammed it!!  5'9" inches I think he played for SMU!

That Duncaville '99 team was a beast...  Two D1 signees (one never panned out) and they won state in Baseball, Football and basketball that year.  Maybe its just a good program but what a feat!!!  Now the TJ Ford Willowridge teams were second  to non!!!!

Dickey V, instead of coaching you need to become the PR rep for Ozen High School Basketball, because after all, thats all you do. 

Yes Kendrick had good numbers in that game, and was the only player from Ozen that looked like he had a pulse in that game,but in saying that, he didn't look like a Top 10 nationally ranked player.  Even though Bosh didn't guard him, anybody at that game, walked away knowing who was the best player in the state, and it wasn't because Lincoln won.  It was because Bosh was head and shoulders better than Perkins, which isn't the worst thing in the world considering how good Bosh is these days.  Bosh is still the best HS player I've ever watched, with Darrell Arthur a close 2nd.  

And you are totally a homer if you think Ozen is in the Top 5 list of all time Texas High School basketball teams.  They probably make the Top 5 "all-decade" team, but,"all-time" give me a break!!!!

You couldn't have watched TJ Ford, Tac Minor (unreal on the highschool level; once score 100+ points, had 20+ assist and 10+ rebounds in a game vs Houston Jones and juniot sensation Daneil Gibson and Tac is only 5'8"), Carlos Hurt, Rashard Lewis, or Emanuel McEroy in Highschool!!  In Highschool Ivan McFarlin was a beast... on the same level as Bosh but he is just not the pro Bosh is...  Bosh is a great pro but as far as highschool I have seen a plethora of kids better than Bosh was!!  Don't forget when i say that MJ did not even start in Highschool.  Some kids game just doesn't transcend... But Bosh was not the BEST highscool kid you had seen if you saw anyone of these players!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder