Copa America

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_950276.html

After perusing the roster, I'm going to have to retract my earlier statement about how the US would finish second in this group with four points.  With this roster I think two points is much more likely.  Four points with this B/C team would be a heck of an acheivement.  What's incredible is that ten years ago, if we sent our B/C team, we'd consider getting the ball past midfield a major acomplishment!  Still, I've never even heard of Charlie Davies.  :-\ 

I'm interested to see Wynn, DeMerit, and Pearce on the backline.  The mids look pretty salty.  Again, I never thought I'd say the midfield was the strongest aspect of any US team.  The forwards..ehhh...I hope Josey, Ferrari, and Johann Smith hurry up and get good.

I think a lot of the Euro-based guys are being called back to their clubs to prepare for the upcoming season, and the USSF doesn't want to hurt the MLS too much by asking many of the studs to miss another couple of weeks to a month. 

The exceptions to that, though are EJ and TT.  I know Eddie is in a contract year and really, really wants to go to Europe and get paid.  If anyone overseas is basing their decision on his international performances lately, I'd say good luck in the Polish Second Division, Eddie!  As for Twelman, who knows/cares.  Maybe Nike struck a deal with him and is going to advertise on his forehead?

Another exception is Bornstein, but everyone knows that Bradley either is in love with this guy or is his father.  Nothing else explains why this kid keeps getting starts ahead of Spector, Simek, and DeMerit.

The first game is against Argentina in the extremely hostile environs of Venezuela.  Those poor kids...

Since a lot of people, including me, don't have TeleFutura or GolTV, I found a link that will show the games (I think).  It helps if you can speak Spanish.  ;)

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/30deportes/content/jhtml/copa_america/NOMETA_partidosEnVivo.jhtml

Game one for the US is tomorrow against Mighty Argentina.  And when I say Mighty...WOW.  They are definitely bringing their A-Team:

------------Abbondanzieri--------------

--Zanetti----Ayala--Milito-----Heinze---

--------------Mascherano--------------

----Veron----------------Cambiasso----

---------------Riquelme----------------

----------Messi-------Crespo-----------

If you recognize most of those names, it's because they're all STUDS. 

Mexico is up 2-0 on Brazil as I'm posting this, too.

M-BEAR-AH-ZING!

:-[     :'(

The first half wasn't too bad (1-1), but the latter part of the second have was just sad.  Dios mio!  (Sorry, I've been watching Univision too long.)  Case in point:  They sub Lionel Messi off with about 10 minutes left for Carlos Tevez; at the same time we sub Ricardo Clark for Kyle Bekerman.  Neither Messi nor Tevez will EVER be mistaken for Clark or Bekerman.

The sun will come out tomorrow...

Yes, I watched it online.  The picture quality isn't great and it's in Spanish, but it's better than nothing.

It'll be interesting to see how the US recovers against a Paraguay team that beat Columbia 5-0.  Being -3 in goal differential right now the US is in second to last place so we've got to get at least four points out of the next two matches.

If the Nats can get that third place spot it'll face the first place team from Group A which will probably be an easier game than if they finish second and play either Brazil or Mexico.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124