Bears' Bean ready to make mark in Austin

Bears' Bean ready to make mark in Austin

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — A wonderful high school run will come to an end Friday night at the University of Texas at Austin.

A long, high school run.

Little Cypress-Mauriceville senior distance runner Drew Bean looks to finish his run in green and gold with a couple medals draped around his neck.

Bean, the 2006 Class 4A state cross country champion, will compete in both the 3,200 meters and 1,600 meters at the University Interscholastic League State Track & Field Championships Friday.

“I would love to go out with two medals and I’d love for both of them to be gold,†Bean said. “This is what I’ve been dreaming about for four years now and I don’t think I’ve ever been more physically and mentally prepared.â€

Bean set a new Class 4A Region III record in the 3,200 meters by running a 9:23.44. He also ran a season-best 4:20.39 to win the 1,600 meters as well.

“I was really shooting for the regional record in the 3,200 and I was so happy to get that,†Bean said. “I was trying hard for the 1,600 record and just missed it but I was able to run my best time.â€

Bean, comparing the regional times, ranks second in both the 3,200 and 1,5600 going in. Lockhart’s Rory Tunningley leads in the 3,200 with a 9:22.11 and Boerne’s Lorin Wilson leads in the 1,600 with a 4:20.25.

The 1,600 is packed as just two seconds separate the top five qualifiers.

The field and their regional times include Bean (4:20.39), Wilson (4:20.25), Mesquite Poteet’s Ryan Lusk (4:21.09), Sulphur Springs Graham Northcutt (4:21.13), Dripping Springs’ Brandon Chiuminetta (4:22.29), Big Spring’s Zack Dawson (4:25.13), Katy Seven Lakes’ Chase Rathke (4:25.57) and Hereford’s Gerzain Valenzuela (4:25.94).

The 3,200 meters contains Bean (9:23.44), Tunniningley (9:22.11), Lusk (9:27.01), Dawson (9:34.04), Valenzuela (9:34.04), Wilson (9:28.06), Rathke (9:35.19) and Frisco Centenial’s Cole Reveal (9:27.03).

“There is so much competition in both races, especially the 1,600,†Bean said. “It’s going to be all about who executes the best and makes the right decisions at the right time. I expect the pack to stay close all the way to the end in both events.â€

Bean barely missed bringing back two medals in both events last year. He won bronze in the 1,600 last year, running a 4:23.87, and was fourth in the 3,200 meters with a 9:34.04, just getting nipped for bronze by Poteet’s Lusk, who ran a 9:33.95.

Lusk will compete in both events in Austin as well this week. The 2006 State Meet really pushed Bean to an even higher level for his senior campaign.

“I was so close to getting two medals last year and that just raised my motivation even more,†Bean said. “It all started with the cross country season and now, here we are. It’s going to be a very tough challenge. I’m really going for it all.â€

Bean’s grueling workout regiment hasn’t slowed down since qualifying for state.

“I still get in my 12-mile run days,†Bean said. “On other days, I’ve been running 800s and 400s and working on my finishing speed. As tight as both of the fields are, you have to have a good kick left.â€

Bean doesn’t have to worry about adrenaline when he hits the UT-Austin track. He won the 3,200 meters at the Texas Relays held in Austin last month.

“There are so many people there, just that alone gets you all pumped up,†Bean said. “It kinda puts you in a ‘zone’, I guess you can say. Once the gun goes off, it’s just you and seven other guys. I can understand how it could upset guys that are there for the first time. I kinda know what to expect and that helps.â€

Bean, the Battlin’ Bear “running machineâ€, would love to go out in style.

“It would be great if I could go from not even placing in the district meet my freshman year, to winning state in cross country and the two races in Austin during my senior year,†Bean said. “I know that I’m going to give it my best shot and if I do that, I won’t be disappointed. Two medals of any kind would be great but I’d love them to be gold.â€

Finals                                                                     

1 Drew Bean                    OR LI CY Mau          9:16.59  10       

2 Rory Tunningley              Lockhart              9:18.24    8       

3 Robert Najera                Mercedes              9:20.54    6       

4 Ryan Lusk                    Mesquite Poteet        9:23.28    4       

5 Chase Rathke                Katy Seven Lakes      9:29.54    2       

6 Gerzain Valenzuela          Hereford              9:30.14    1       

7 Cole Reveal                  Frisco Centennial      9:51.71             

8 Raudel Miranda              Clint Mountain View    9:52.27   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online