Rockets vs. Suns.......ROCKETS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockets drop Suns, clinch home edge in 1st round

Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady stood face-to-face at midcourt beaming and shaking and then finally slapping hands together joyously.

They were not, however, celebrating merely the win or the moment. They had finally done enough to hold off the relentless charge of the Phoenix Suns, securing their 120-117 win only when the final three-tenths of a second slipped away. But it was more than that.

It was more than the home-court advantage that they clinched, assuring their first-round playoff series against the Utah Jazz will begin either Saturday or Sunday in Houston. It was more even than finally beating the Suns, who had tormented them so this season and last.

They stood together and rejoiced about the possibilities they felt as 18,375 fans, the second largest crowd in franchise history, shook Toyota Center as if the playoffs had begun and this one win brought them more than improved chances.

"This was a great accomplishment because we know how important the game was," McGrady said after scoring 39 points with 11 rebounds and nine assists. "There was something major at stake. If we win, we knew we're getting home court. Knowing that, and going against a team like Phoenix, and to come out victorious, it was definitely a great feeling.

"That's a hell of a team over there and a team that had our number, a team I played (terrible) basketball against for three games. They had my number and they had our number.

"We proved something to ourselves, definitely, knowing that if something of that magnitude in a game was on the line, we're capable of winning it."

The win ended the Rockets' six-game losing streak to the Suns and six-game losing streak to Phoenix in Houston. With their fifth-consecutive win, matching the Rockets' longest winning streak this season, the Rockets are 52-29, their most wins since the 1996-97 season, the last one in which they have won a playoff series.

Perhaps most significant, however, was that the Suns were their usual sensational selves, answering everything the Rockets threw at them all night until the final seconds, and the Rockets found a way to do just a touch more.

What a feeling

"It was huge," said Yao, who had 34 points, making 14 of his 20 shots and scoring 13 in the fourth quarter. "We were so excited when we saw the clock running to zero. Everybody was running to the middle. I don't know if it's the same feeling, but it feels like winning a playoff series. I know there's harder and better battles waiting for us, but today is a big win."

It became more rewarding because the Suns made it so difficult. With the game tied at 66 four minutes into the second half, the Suns had made 17 of 21.

It took just a missed shot or two, and in very much the Suns' style, the Rockets took off. In the next five minutes, they outscored Phoenix 19-4. McGrady hit a 3. Juwan Howard tipped in a miss. Yao followed an offensive rebound for a three-point play. With two Rafer Alston free throws, the Rockets had a 10-0 run.

Suns guard Leandro Barbosa put in a jumper, but Yao hit a jumper, Shane Battier a 3-pointer and McGrady two more jumpers to take the lead to 85-70 less than three minutes before the fourth quarter.

The Rockets still led by 10 with 2:14 remaining, but did not score again until the final fraction of a second. The Suns scored seven unanswered points, as the Rockets clung to the most fragile of three-point leads heading into the final seconds.

Amare Stoudemire, who had 30 points, but just two in the fourth quarter, missed, but the ball went back out of bounds off Yao and Shawn Marion, with Marion beating Yao on the jump.

The Suns missed again, this time with Steve Nash missing a 3 with 6.4 seconds left, but again, the Rockets could not control the rebound. And again, the Suns missed, with Stoudemire missing a 3, and Marion putting it in with one second left, leaving the Suns a point short.

Alston was fouled with three-tenths of a second left, and put in both free throws to finally finish it, and the Suns' mastery.

Maximum effort

"If you're a competitor, there comes a time you get tired of somebody kicking your butt," Alston said. "We wanted to just to sustain a level of play that matches theirs — or exceeds theirs."

More than exceed the Suns', it was in many ways, the Rockets' best. Or at least, with much at stake and much more coming, it felt that way.

Guest AllEyezOnMe

I think D'Antoni got what he deserved in that game there was no reason to play all his starters in a game that's meaningless for them.....But the win feels a lot better knowing that the Rox won against the Suns with all their starters in......

haha..................... Rockets played great but as loyal to my rockets as i am i don't believe that T-Mac and Yao can get 73 points everytime they play the suns...... that  being said congrats rockets on a great victory.... it was one of the most exciting Rocket games ive watched all year  ;D

MIKE D'ANTONI FOR PRESIDENT :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124

• Nice deflection, too. No mention of Trump using an African American church to look like he’s the minority’s friend then walking out the back door and going to a white supremacist laced rally hosted by Charlie Kirk aka “The Civil Rights Act Was A Bad Idea”.  
    • Remember when someone said they were stepping away from this forum?  What a glorious 2 minutes that was.  Now, if I may attempt an impression, “You knuckle-draggers are idiots and I am going to sit here and ridicule you about everything!  (Tongue sticking out🤪)”.  
    • There was a national media outlet I used to love to watch.  I worked midnights for years and would come home and get caught up on all the latest headlines.  The anchors were humorous, had catch phrases and presented the sports hi-lights from the previous day.  They had fun segments where they would show the top 10 and not top 10 of the night or the week.  New ownership took over and started pushing agendas and politics.  Sports was pushed down to secondary status after indoctrination.  I phased out of watching the channel altogether.  Started watching again after years of being away because my favorite sporting event is exclusively on that channel.  Lo and behold nothing has changed.  They have complete segments dedicated to hi-lighting those on the “front-line” of social change and isolating 98% of the clientele who just wish to watch sports.  They have laid off tons of long time and popular hosts.  They have fired anchors for not bowing to their woke ideology.  Would someone step up and finally create another sports network to compete with the woke 4-letter network? Sad!!!!  Sports should be a refuge from the day to day grind.  Sports should be a haven to get away from wokeness.  You may now tune back to your regularly scheduled programming.  I am off the soapbox.
    • How did you achieve such lofty status? You’re occupying a high seat of judgement when  you make such all encompassing proclamations. 
  • Topics