What makes a great Texas High School Football Program?

TexasPanther2012

I like this thread too much not to chime in:

Great program?: 
Genetics/athletes for starters, transfers (winning and facilities will draw people), consistent coaching (not a new AD every time you have a bad year), community support (is vital), favorable size/classification (that's a big deal in football), steady homelives (it's hard to win with kids that are in constant survival mode), and sometimes having a good game when another team (better team) doesn't.  

Make no mistake..every single school in the state is aspiring to win as many games as possible and every coach in the state has a goal of winning it all.  Not everyone gets to.  Most don't, in fact.  There are definitely some qualities that consistent powerhouses possess and I listed some of them but not all.  Sometimes you don't need every single thing listed to have success.  Sometimes it takes what was listed and more.

I was pleasently surprised by some of the comments on this thread by the way.  Maybe people are starting to realize some things..

18 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I'd have to take a closer look, but I think PAM may have an outside chance of making a run.

That would be my pick, from reading  all the post it’s been awhile, at some point you would think a state title would become more important than winning mid county madness or the beaumont Bowl

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I like this thread too much not to chime in:

Great program?: 
Genetics/athletes for starters, transfers (winning and facilities will draw people), consistent coaching (not a new AD every time you have a bad year), community support (is vital), favorable size/classification (that's a big deal in football), steady homelives (it's hard to win with kids that are in constant survival mode), and sometimes having a good game when another team (better team) doesn't.  

Make no mistake..every single school in the state is aspiring to win as many games as possible and every coach in the state has a goal of winning it all.  Not everyone gets to.  Most don't, in fact.  There are definitely some qualities that consistent powerhouses possess and I listed some of them but not all.  Sometimes you don't need every single thing listed to have success.  Sometimes it takes what was listed and more.

I was pleasently surprised by some of the comments on this thread by the way.  Maybe people are starting to realize some things..

I think one of the biggest factors that a lot of people are leaving out is COURAGE.

Too many kids today don't have the courage to be great or even average football players.

And too many coaches don't have the courage to create a hard working, disciplined atmosphere, or the courage to make the tough decision.

16 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I think one of the biggest factors that a lot of people are leaving out is COURAGE.

Too many kids today don't have the courage to be great or even average football players.

And too many coaches don't have the courage to create a hard working, disciplined atmosphere, or the courage to make the tough decision.

That’s what happens in a everyone gets a ribbon World we live in , kinda makes the prize at the end worthless unless they work for it.

33 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Sure there are many characteristics along those lines that play into the willingness to be great.  Another is dedication..work ethic.  Those kinds of things seem nonexistent.  

Have you ever read 'Culture Defeats Stragety' by Randy Jackson?  It's pretty good.

7 hours ago, 3rdandlong said:

After listening to all the back and forth , my biggest question is who from the golden triangle wins the next state title and when?

Well, I started to say Newton, but they aren't in the GT.  IMO WOS probably has the best chance in 4A.  I think it was in another thread someone mentioned that this area's 5A/6A teams have had a tough time getting out of regional.  And if they do make it to the quarterfinals, a lot of times they are just overmatched in that round.   That being said, I think in the two higher classifications Memorial probably has the best shot, even if  it is a long shot.