Why 4a teams lost

In my opinion, the 4a teams lost in playoffs b/c they do not play good enough compition, they play teams only from this area and expect to do goood in playoffs. Wrong. The best compition these 4a teams are getting is Kelly and WB, thats only two games, they need to play more teams from houston, so they can make a deeper run in the playoffs.

Guest Soccerfan

you r exactly right but they play in a 10 team district and have no time to play any other schools. UIL needs to address that problem imo.

Ditto what Soccerfan said - to an extent (more on that later).  But UIL won't be able to do anything about the district next year since re-alignment won't take place again until the spring of '08 for the '09 season.  What's really frustrating for me is a district schedule with zones was set up that would allow all teams to play the teams in their zone twice and the other zone once, thus freeing up enough time for another tournament and another open date.  BUT the girls coaches would not agree to it.  :(  I hope they are satisfied with the way things went in our 18 game district schedule. 

Now, as to what soccer14 posted: You are exactly right in that the area kids are not playing good enough competition, but your blame is misguided.  My opinion is that the area kids aren't playing good enough competition OUTSIDE of the high school season.  How many of you are playing on club teams that rarely play outside the Golden Triangle?  Or maybe as far as Baytown?  If you don't play competition that challenges you, then you'll never get better.

And those that do play, how many of you know of teammates who don't touch a soccer ball from Easter until Thanksgiving?  If you want your team to get better, be proactive.  Get your buddies off of their tails and go knock around somewhere.  Do you think the basketball players at Ozen only play during the high school season?  You're only going to be as good as you want to be.  The only thing holding you back is you - not time, not money, not facilities.

I agree with what Bon Mot said. I didn't start playing soccer until I was a freshman. But my friends and I lived soccer. We played all the time, even under the lights at the tennis courts. Because of this, I was able to get a college scholorship and play collegiately for four years.

Just playing club and/or high school won't always get it done. Make sure you are playing for fun sometimes. Some the players I have seen grow the most developmental wise were those that played men's league at a early age...13, 14, 15 years old.

Always try to play those bigger, faster, stronger and better than you.

I have heard at clinics or read in books...top coaches have stated and will continue to state..."The best teacher of the game, is the game"

play any chance you get, play one v one for bragging rights if all you can find is one other person,  touch the ball everyday,  watch games on tv,  help coach a youth team, etc etc

Oldsader is right "Always try to play those bigger, faster, stronger and better than you"

Play for the love of the game not the score of the game

I go  with newcastle...  LIVERPOOL....  but as for playing alot of games teaches the game better... I think if you let kids play one on one and two v two and so on and on without ... watching and explaining their weakness,  they tend to get good at being, bad players and bad habits.  The practices teach the correct ways and form good habits.  The coaches in the area need to quit taking the easy route out and not live by schimmages and use "the game teaches the game best" as an out.  Just like in football practices,,,  the QB does his same basic drills at ALL practices and the recievers and each players does what it is they do. so in a game under pressure they still do the rite thing.  It isnt any different in soccer.  There is a correct way to do things.  Habits can be formed then playing the game is simple.  How many times do you see your players mis handle a pass and it jumps up on them are away from them and so they dont do anything with the ball because they lose possession.  Its all about the basics.    I do believe we have the best group of high school coaches  coaching in 4A now overall and some could be more experienced.  But still some good things...

on there own is what i mean if pracitcing consists of short sided games and 1v1, then thats what it takes. what i was saying was that the reason our 4a teams dont go far isnt because there lack of competition you cant blame it on the big district with little time to play other teams from diff areas but maybe a lack of desire and PRACTICE

I think the reason 4a teams lost is because most of the players on our teams do not play club soccer.  Look at who are still playing in the playoffs.  Most of their players play soccer year round and play Super II or even Division I soccer.  We rely on our athetic ability to play the game and not have any skills such as trapping, passing, heading and just knowing how to play the game.  Take Kingwood High school,  there coach tells them that if you don't play Div. I don't even come to our tryout.  Its frustratin to make a good pass to someone and then watch them loose the ball because they have no touch on the ball.  Make a good through ball for a teamate and he dos't see the play to make the run.  Don't get me wrong, it was good to see the teams compete instead watching Nederland or Port Neches win it year after year.  I would like to see everybody that plays high school soccer, play in the fall for their club.  I got a flyer in the mail telling me about tryouts coming soon for Div.II, Super II and Div. I.  Lets see who is going to do what it takes to make it happen for our district.  I would like to see our teams go on further than just bi-district. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder