BC honors Young, ropes Kelly

Guest Orangeboy

Guest Orangeboy

BC honors Young, ropes Kelly

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — It was the past meeting the present Saturday afternoon as the Bridge City Cardinals baseball team took time away from their game to honor players before them.

This year’s squad went on to down Beaumont Kelly 4-2 to improve to 15-1 on the year and the Cardinals continued their quest to duplicate what the 1992 Cardinals achieved.

Members of the 1992 team which reached the Class 4A UIL final round were on hand Saturday as guests of Billy Bryants team.

Along with the team was legendary Bridge City Coach Chuck Young who brought the Cardinals to the regional finals six times in his years at the helm.

Young attributed the 1992 team’s success to dedication and hard work, a philosophy that still lives on today.

“I feel the success Bridge City is having these days is a continuation of what we accomplished in the past,†Young said. “Part of the deal is Bridge City is now expected to do well in baseball. There are high expectations surrounding the team.â€

That is certainly the cause with this year’s squad who is currently riding a 41-game district winning streak.

Saturday the Cardinals took a break from district play to match-up against Kelly Bulldogs.

Kelly tied the game up at 2-2 in the top of the sixth when Charlie Jones led off with a double.

Jones got moved over on a sacrifice bunt and an error and Donnie Carona drove Jones in with a single.

The game did not stay tied for long as Anthony Cessac led the bottom of the sixth off with a single to left.

After Garrett Delano moved Cessac over to second with a nicely played sacrifice bunt, Chase Warner took care of the rest.

Warner bruised an offering from Kelly’s Zach Celast and sent the pitch over the left field fence giving Bridge City a 4-2 cushion.

Bridge City freshman Matt Hicks, who came in relief of Cardinal starter Johnny Dishon, got the Bulldogs in order in the top of the seventh to end the game.

The Cardinals went up 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth when Delano ripped a RBI double scoring Joe Robertson who reached on a walk.

Warner then picked up a RBI with a single that gave Delano enough to score.

As much as it was great to see the Cardinals play and win, the day belonged to Young, his memories and the 1992 finals team.

“In 1992, there was a great level of talent on that team,†Young said. “At the first of the year I was not sure we would be a team. You can play all year long together and still not be a team at the end. If you play as one, there is a great chance you can be special. But in 1992 very early in that season, you could tell the guys felt like they owed each other something.

“I don’t know how that happens but it does. Becoming as one is very critical to success.â€

The 1992 team went 28-9 on the season and defeated Dennison 6-5 to advance to the final game at Austin’s Disch-Falk Field. The Cardinals would lose to Robstown 10-1 in the championship.

“It was great to come back and visit with everyone,†Young said. “I love seeing these players and see where their lives have taken them and how great their families are. I also enjoy sitting back and watching the Cardinals play. I still keep up with this area’s baseball and that includes other teams like Steve Griffith’s LC-M Bears and the rest of the guys.â€

From KOGT and Gary Stelly

An effort is being made by former players and parents to have the stadium renamed for Young who spent 28 years with the Cards.  If you're interested in signing the petition visit this website. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ourcoach

Guest Orangeboy

I dont see anyone in the pic that looks like Steve Martin......anyone hear from ol Steve....Steve.......Steeeeeeeve.......Steeeeeeve......lol

Congrats to Coach Young

I think we only had 3 guys missing: RT Bryant, Steve Martin, and Kurt Roy. Wish they coulda been there.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder