BC honors Young, ropes Kelly

Guest Orangeboy

Guest Orangeboy

BC honors Young, ropes Kelly

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — It was the past meeting the present Saturday afternoon as the Bridge City Cardinals baseball team took time away from their game to honor players before them.

This year’s squad went on to down Beaumont Kelly 4-2 to improve to 15-1 on the year and the Cardinals continued their quest to duplicate what the 1992 Cardinals achieved.

Members of the 1992 team which reached the Class 4A UIL final round were on hand Saturday as guests of Billy Bryants team.

Along with the team was legendary Bridge City Coach Chuck Young who brought the Cardinals to the regional finals six times in his years at the helm.

Young attributed the 1992 team’s success to dedication and hard work, a philosophy that still lives on today.

“I feel the success Bridge City is having these days is a continuation of what we accomplished in the past,†Young said. “Part of the deal is Bridge City is now expected to do well in baseball. There are high expectations surrounding the team.â€

That is certainly the cause with this year’s squad who is currently riding a 41-game district winning streak.

Saturday the Cardinals took a break from district play to match-up against Kelly Bulldogs.

Kelly tied the game up at 2-2 in the top of the sixth when Charlie Jones led off with a double.

Jones got moved over on a sacrifice bunt and an error and Donnie Carona drove Jones in with a single.

The game did not stay tied for long as Anthony Cessac led the bottom of the sixth off with a single to left.

After Garrett Delano moved Cessac over to second with a nicely played sacrifice bunt, Chase Warner took care of the rest.

Warner bruised an offering from Kelly’s Zach Celast and sent the pitch over the left field fence giving Bridge City a 4-2 cushion.

Bridge City freshman Matt Hicks, who came in relief of Cardinal starter Johnny Dishon, got the Bulldogs in order in the top of the seventh to end the game.

The Cardinals went up 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth when Delano ripped a RBI double scoring Joe Robertson who reached on a walk.

Warner then picked up a RBI with a single that gave Delano enough to score.

As much as it was great to see the Cardinals play and win, the day belonged to Young, his memories and the 1992 finals team.

“In 1992, there was a great level of talent on that team,†Young said. “At the first of the year I was not sure we would be a team. You can play all year long together and still not be a team at the end. If you play as one, there is a great chance you can be special. But in 1992 very early in that season, you could tell the guys felt like they owed each other something.

“I don’t know how that happens but it does. Becoming as one is very critical to success.â€

The 1992 team went 28-9 on the season and defeated Dennison 6-5 to advance to the final game at Austin’s Disch-Falk Field. The Cardinals would lose to Robstown 10-1 in the championship.

“It was great to come back and visit with everyone,†Young said. “I love seeing these players and see where their lives have taken them and how great their families are. I also enjoy sitting back and watching the Cardinals play. I still keep up with this area’s baseball and that includes other teams like Steve Griffith’s LC-M Bears and the rest of the guys.â€

From KOGT and Gary Stelly

An effort is being made by former players and parents to have the stadium renamed for Young who spent 28 years with the Cards.  If you're interested in signing the petition visit this website. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ourcoach

Guest Orangeboy

I dont see anyone in the pic that looks like Steve Martin......anyone hear from ol Steve....Steve.......Steeeeeeeve.......Steeeeeeve......lol

Congrats to Coach Young

I think we only had 3 guys missing: RT Bryant, Steve Martin, and Kurt Roy. Wish they coulda been there.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics